Duke fires his agent

buno67

11 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If there was a big market for Duke he'd be gone. There are 0 rumors of interest. LGB estimates a 6th or a 7th, he is probably right. 

I love Duke and think he is a good player but their is a surplus of good enough players at the position. He doesnt have many league connections, shanny, butthe 9ers have a bunch of backs, defilippo probably doesnt have the internal clout to pull off a trade, if he wanted them. Also the jags would get roasted if they gave up another pick for a browns runningback after the trade for hyde. 

Reality is there isnt a Duke johnson trade market 

Currently what you say looks true.  But lets see what this agent change translates too.  

Personally, I think that the role of a pass catching running back has become very prevalent with a lot of teams to the point that they depend on these players.  He has proven he can play that role.  I am not saying he is elite, but he is young and has been productive enough with his opportunities.  

You look at teams like Carolina with McCaffrey taking such a dominant role in the offense.  Obviously Johnson is not in McCaffrey's league, but if Mccaffrey goes down, you want at least a similar style of player to be able to step in since the offense depends so much on that role.  Sure, there are lots of running backs out there, but how many can also play the role of a receiver?

All signs point to the Browns not really wanting to commit to making him a big part of the offense.  So get something for him other than a dent in the bench.  And at this point with Baker Mayfield running his mouth on the subject, it is an issue that could divide the locker room.  

37 minutes ago, offbyone said:

All signs point to the Browns not really wanting to commit to making him a big part of the offense.  So get something for him other than a dent in the bench.  And at this point with Baker Mayfield running his mouth on the subject, it is an issue that could divide the locker room.  

What signs?

Signing Kareem Hunt at a ridiculously low salary is not indicative of them not planning to make Duke a bigger part of the offense.  We have 8 weeks without Hunt.  And then when he is in, we've already been told their will be 3 back sets.  

Mayfield isn't "running his mouth".  He made a single statement.  And that wasn't nearly as bad when you look at in context as the media portrayed it to be.  Duke is reporting for camp, and plans to give it 100%.  

I expect we will NOT be trading him for less than a 5th rounder, and we won't get that offer unless someone goes down on another team. 

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Baker Mayfield running his mouth on the subject, it is an issue that could divide the locker room. 

running your mouth is what Duke's agent did. Baker didnt run his mouth. He answered the question asked to him by the media. All he said was everything was self inflected which it is, Duke didnt need to go to the media and then said Duke needs to be professional about it because if he doesnt get traded, he better be ready to play for this team and honor his contract. your not offbyone, your off by a lot

Edited by buno67

43 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m so sick of hearing about god damn duke Johnson like he’s some star. There’s no reason he should be getting this media attention. He’s a number 2 RB. I can’t think of a team that he’d be a successful #1. 

Only team I can really think that he would be a 1 on is Tampa or buffalo 

Edited by Dawgpoun8017

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Only team I can really think that he would be a 1 on is Tampa or buffalo 

Wait...what?  Buffalo has LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, and TJ Yeldon that would all be #1 ahead of him.  And Im fairly certain Barber, Jones, and probably Ellington would start over Duke in TB.

5 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Wait...what?  Buffalo has LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, and TJ Yeldon that would all be #1 ahead of him.  And Im fairly certain Barber, Jones, and probably Ellington would start over Duke in TB.

Duke has more total yards than Yeldon on more than 100 less touches (636-534). Averages .3 more per rush and 1.6 more per reception. McCoy and Gore are pretty much done. I'd certainly take Duke over the guys in Buffalo.

Ellington is a less successful Yeldon. Jones hasn't eclipsed 100 total yards in his career yet.  Duke has averaged 250 more yards per season than Barber.

Ignoring the "I want to be elsewhere" statement, I'd easily take Duke over any of them.

• Like 3

Dukes stats are misleading.  Considering the vast majority of his plays are not designed runs.  

Duke is not built to be a 3 down back.  He is a #2 at best on any team.  Unless you want to see a remake of Metcalf up the middle, he will remain a 3rd down back.

LeSean McCoy had a terrible season because of a poor team, poor scheme, and lack of opportunities created by a sub-par situation.  Is he a thousand yard back still?  Probably not.  But he is still a better option at 1 than Duke.  

Gore is on the down slide sure.  But he is still a beast when he gets blocks.  I think he had over 4 yards per carry last year.  Until he shows otherwise, he is the better option than a lot of teams #1 right now.  

TJ Yeldon has never been given the opportunity as a true #1.  His rookie season was the closest he got, where he had respectable numbers on a pass happy team.  

Ellington is akin to Duke in that he is predominantly a 3rd down back.  But he was more explosive until he hurt his ankle.  His production has tapered off, so this one would be a coin toss for me.  But still worth considering before trading a team a mid round pick for a guy that essentially fills the same role at an inflated salary.  

53 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Dukes stats are misleading.  Considering the vast majority of his plays are not designed runs.  

He has 303 career targets and 299 career carries.

54 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

TJ Yeldon has never been given the opportunity as a true #1

Neither has Duke.

Maybe one of those guys starts ahead of Duke and maybe not but he shouldn't clearly be behind any of them.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe one of those guys starts ahead of Duke and maybe not but he shouldn't clearly be behind any of them.

Except they already have these guys at for the most part reasonable salaries.  Why would they trade a mid round pick for someone who likely wouldn't beat them out to start?  My point wasn't that Duke couldn't play for their team.  It was that there is no way they are trading a 5th round pick for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, Kiwibrown said:

If there was a big market for Duke he'd be gone. There are 0 rumors of interest. LGB estimates a 6th or a 7th, he is probably right. 

I love Duke and think he is a good player but their is a surplus of good enough players at the position. He doesnt have many league connections, shanny, butthe 9ers have a bunch of backs, defilippo probably doesnt have the internal clout to pull off a trade, if he wanted them. Also the jags would get roasted if they gave up another pick for a browns runningback after the trade for hyde. 

Reality is there isnt a Duke johnson trade market 

So that worked out for you guys.  Think it will be a good fit in houston too for watson to have a check down pass option.