Top 10 Viking Running Backs

In the little while before training camp starts, there really isn't a whole lot to talk about and debate.  So, I am going to offer a few Top 10 lists. These will be done without video, because, some of choices don't have any video highlights presently available.  My one criteria for choosing the players I choose is that they had to have been starters for at least two years.  When I get to the Top 10 QB's, that criteria will be self evident.  I hope you will debate these lists...at least...until camp comes and we can debate the current crop of Vikings fighting to make the team.  So here goes............................

The Top 10 Minnesota Vikings Running Backs:

10. Hugh McElhenny: (1961-62) Played for the Vikings in their first two seasons.  "Hurryin' Hugh" came to the Vikings from the '49'ers, in the expansion draft, where he had been part of the famed "Million Dollar Backfield" in the 1950's. The 1961 season saw him lead the team in rushing yards and he scored seven touchdowns.  Beyond his statistics, his presence on the team gave immediate legitimacy to pro football in Minnesota. He was selected to his 6th Pro Bowl after the 1961 season.

9. Ed Marinaro: (1972-75) Marinaro was the 1971 Heisman Trophy runner-up to Pat Sullivan, while playing at Cornell University.  Drafted by the Vikings, Marinaro stuck around on the team for four of his six professional seasons.  His statistics were never gaudy, and he didn't start many games.  However, when he played he was a very good blocker, and when he ran, he ran tough.  He could also catch the ball with skill.  He was a very good...not great...all-purpose back.  AND, he turned out to be a pretty good television actor, being a part of the famed ensemble cast of Hill Street Blues.

8.Clinton Jones: (1967-72) Jones was highly regarded coming out of Michigan state in 1967.  He was the Vikings first pick in the draft that year.  Most of his production on the Vikings was as a member of a trio of ball carriers that shared carries and who powered the Vikings running game in the late '60's and early '70's.  Other members of the trio were Bill Brown and Dave Osborn.

7. Dave Osborn: (1965-75) Osborn was drafted by the Vikings out of University of North Dakota.  His first role on the Vikings was as kick returner, but as his career progressed, he was given more opportunities in the backfield, three times being the top 10 of the league in the number of carries.  Like his other trio partners, Osborn was team first, individual success second.  As a team player, he was vital to success of the Vikings who started a streak of playoff appearances in 1968.

6. Bill "Boom Boom" Brown: (1962-74) Maybe my favorite back on this list.  He played 13 years for the Vikings and was named to four pro bowls.  3 times he was 2nd Team All-Pro running back.  He was a violent runner, who ranks fourth on the team for number of rushing yards.  He also ranks fourth in team history for points scored, and third in team history for combined rushing and receiving yards.  He was also known for his outstanding play on special teams.  He had a crew cut and tough guy attitude on the field, and was known to be a cut-up and prankster in the locker room.  He was everyone's favorite teammate, and Bud Grant loved him!  Lastly, he was also Rich Gannon's father-in-law!!

5. Terry Allen: (1991-94) When Allen was drafted by the Vikings there was great concern about his knees.  He had multiple knee injuries while playing at Clemson that gave the NFL pause about drafting him.  Indeed, he would continue to have knee injuries in the pros.  Yet, when he played, he was a very effective runner, gaining over 1,000 yards four times in his career.  He was 2nd string to Hershel Walker his rookie season, but in his second year (1992) he gained 1,201 yards rushing and 13 rushing touchdowns.  He also gained almost 500 yards receiving and contributed another 2 touchdowns catching the ball.  He missed the entire 1993 season due to a torn ACL, but came back in 1994 to gain 1,031 yards rushing with 8 touchdowns.  The next season he was a Washington Redskin.

4. Chester Taylor: (2006-09) Taylor came to the Vikings after beginning his very respectable career in Baltimore as Jamaal Lewis' backup.  His first season with the Vikings saw him gain over 1,000 yards.  On Oct. 22, playing against the Seattle Seahawks, Taylor broke a run for a TD in the third quarter, going 95 yards.  At the time it was both a Vikings and NFL record.  When Adrian Peterson came to the team in 2007, Peterson and Taylor were the best running back tandem in the league for the next two seasons. 

3. Robert Smith: (1993-00) Drafted in the first round out of Ohio State, much was expected of Smith. Yet, his first few seasons were effected by ailments and injuries.   He finally played as expected in 1997 gaining 1,266 yards.  His best year was his last year when he led the NFC in rushing with 1,521 yards in 2000.  He retired from football at the top of his game at age 28.  When he retired, he was the Vikings all time leading rusher.  Currently, he ranks 2nd behind Adrian Peterson.  He was an able receiver and kick returner as well for the Vikings. 

2. Chuck Foreman: (1973-79) Foreman was the first Viking running back to be considered a NFL star!  Coming out of the University of Miami, Foreman glided his way to NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1973.  He had a gliding running style that seemed effortless, but he was both a fast and powerful back, with the best spin move in the history of the league!  He was selected to 5 pro bowls...was 1st team all-pro twice and 2nd team twice.  In 1975, he led the NFL in receptions...one of the first running backs in league history to do so.  He played in 3 Super Bowls for the Vikings, and is their 3rd place all time rusher, with over 5,000 career yards.

1. Adrian Peterson: (2007-16) Peterson is talked about in almost super human terms. As a Viking, he made 7 trips to the Pro Bowl, was 4 times 1st team All-Pro, 3 times 2nd-team All-Pro, was league MVP in 2012, NFL Offensive Player of the Year in 2012, Pro Bowl MVP in 2007, 2 time Bert Bell award winner, NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year winner in 2007, 3 time NFL rushing leader, 2 time rushing touchdown leader, and holder of the NFL record for most yards gained in a single game (296).  That's the official stuff.  In 2012, Peterson came 9 yards short of breaking Eric Dickerson's record for most yards gained rushing in a season.  That year he amassed over 2300 total yards from scrimmage...oh yeah, this all happened after tearing both his ACL and MCL on Christmas Eve game against Washington in 2011.  His recovery from injury was unlike anything anyone had seen before.  Unfortunately, Peterson had some off-field personal issues that got him suspended for the 2014 season. His final season with the Vikings (2016) ended early with yet another knee injury.  He was let go in the offseason.  He is currently the starting running back for the Washington Redskins.

22 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I've only heard of the top six names

Well...I'm glad you decided to take this course then at Professor VV's college of Viking Knowledge!!  :D

One of the things that I neglected to say is that only one of these 10 backs is in the professional football hall of fame.  Extra credit will be given to the first person who tells me which one!!!

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

One of the things that I neglected to say is that only one of these 10 backs is in the professional football hall of fame.  Extra credit will be given to the first person who tells me which one!!!

Hugh McElhenny

Edit: Uh, I had to look it up. I need to enroll in the VV college of Viking knowledge

Edited by Cearbhall

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Hugh McElhenny

Edit: Uh, I had to look it up. I need to enroll in the VV college of Viking knowledge

You are correct...Isn't it strange to think that until Peterson goes in, the Vikings have had only one back on the team to go to the hall of fame?  And McElhenny earned the honors as a 49'er, not a Viking.

If you’re going to do this for every position, I think it would be fun to have a poll at the end to determine which position is the best in the history of the Franchise. 

On another note, not looking forward to the list of the top 10 QBs...

Darrin Nelson played almost his entire career in Minnesota. He led the team in rushing 4 times, and had over 1000 yards from scrimmage 3 times. He scored 23 TDs for the Vikings. He should be no worse than 7th on this list. 

Michael Bennett played 5 years in Minnesota. He the league in rushing with nearly 1300 yards as a sophomore, and went to the Pro Bowl. He got hurt in his 3rd year and his explosiveness declined. But he scored 17 TDs for the Vikings. He also belongs on this list.

Herschel Walker should arguably be left off the list just because the trade was such a disaster, but he did put up nearly 3000 yards from scrimmage and 25 TDs in 2 and a half years.

I’d put any or all of those 3 guys in the top 10 ahead of rotational players like Marinaro or Jones, or McElhenny who only played one year as the team’s primary back.

If you do want to include depth and role players, you could give honorable mentions to Jerick McKinnon (2900 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs in 4 years), Moe Williams (2800 yards from scrimmage and 23 TDs across 9 years), or Leroy Hoard (2200 yards from scrimmage but a whopping 27 TDs in 4 years).

Dalvin Cook (1364 yards from scrimmage and 6 TDs in only 15 career games so far) can move up this list quickly. If he stays healthy, I think he’ll easily go over 1000 yards rushing and 1500 from scrimmage this year. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 3