NBA News & Notes

Leader

I mean Jaylen is 4 years younger than Hield and on his worst day, a vastly superior defender to Hield. But yeah, that's all I've got to justify this deal for Brown. Not a fan of it. He's by far my favorite Celtic but I'd have preferred him to play out a motivated contract year instead of possibly being stuck in this holding pattern he's been in for the last year. Dude doesn't seem like the type to rest on his laurels but maybe he's also just average. Time will tell 

6 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean Jaylen is 4 years younger than Hield and on his worst day, a vastly superior defender to Hield. But yeah, that's all I've got to justify this deal for Brown. Not a fan of it. He's by far my favorite Celtic but I'd have preferred him to play out a motivated contract year instead of possibly being stuck in this holding pattern he's been in for the last year. Dude doesn't seem like the type to rest on his laurels but maybe he's also just average. Time will tell 

Hield is simply a different class of player. Youth is one hell of bargaining chip though. I like Jaylen but he's not Buddy and probably won't ever be.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Hield is simply a different class of player. Youth is one hell of bargaining chip though. I like Jaylen but he's not Buddy and probably won't ever be.

eh, I know the postseason isn't a full season but if Brown's actual form is that of the 2018 postseason where his numbers are a bit similar to Hield's and played defense, then I think they're certainly comparable. Obviously the sample is small but I also bring it up because it was certainly the only time frame in his NBA career where he looked comfortable and in control and with all of the shuffling the Celtics have done over the past few years, I think that speaks a bit. We'll see, though. Dude is young, and Ainge is gambling on the future. Bad deal for what we've seen so far but could work out, we'll see. 

• Like 1

Just now, Troy Brown said:

eh, I know the postseason isn't a full season but if Brown's actual form is that of the 2018 postseason where his numbers are a bit similar to Hield's and played defense, then I think they're certainly comparable. Obviously the sample is small but I also bring it up because it was certainly the only time frame in his NBA career where he looked comfortable and in control and with all of the shuffling the Celtics have done over the past few years, I think that speaks a bit. We'll see, though. Dude is young, and Ainge is gambling on the future. Bad deal for what we've seen so far but could work out, we'll see. 

That's where I was at mentally when the Wolves handed Wiggins his extension :(

Obviously the deals aren't comparable because 1) Wiggins was given more and 2) Brown is the complete opposite personality of Wiggins (he cares about basketball) but I've been in that frame of mind before.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

That's where I was at mentally when the Wolves handed Wiggins his extension :(

Obviously the deals aren't comparable because 1) Wiggins was given more and 2) Brown is the complete opposite personality of Wiggins (he cares about basketball) but I've been in that frame of mind before.

bro I got Cs fans telling me it's a steal. I been tryna told em that we've seen these types of deals fail more often than not but I also trust Ainge not to blow it. 

I have faith that Brown will take a step forward. Possible he won't live up to 115 mil but I think he'll be an all star this year. He's a dawg. 

That said, boy would I have rather paid Brown 115 mil than Horford 128 in the same time frame 

• Like 1

Pels need to sit Zion as long as needed. Get that knee 100%, get him in tip top shape, maybe get him dietitian (if he doesn't already have one) and release the beast whenever the time is right. Whether it's Christmas time, near All Star weekend or next season, bring him back when he's completely 100% (knee wise and conditioning wise).

This is why they brought in Aaron Nelson. I have full confidence he, David Griffin, the FO as a whole and Zion and his team will do what's best for the longterm of his career. If it was the old training staff and front office, I'd be far far more concern.

17 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Thoughts on the other extensions?

Sabonis: 4 years, $77 million

Taurean Prince: 2 years, $29 million

Dejounte Murray: 4 years, $64 million

Malik Beasley didn't get an extension...future Grizzly!

Sabonis is a solid deal.  Not sure there's a ton of upside there, but when Julius Randle gets 3/$62.1M then I'd easily fork that over to Sabonis.  Prince seems team-friendly.  Meh on the Murray deal.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Stupid is putting it mildly.  I thought 4/$100M was his max...and that was on the open market.

Someone would’ve offered Brown that deal and we would’ve matched anyways. Better to save the hard feelings. It’s definitely an overpay for the player he is currently. Danny is paying for what he hopes he becomes which I feel like generally doesn’t work out, time will tell.