NBA News & Notes

Leader

21 hours ago, Danger said:

You never know, if they open up a couple of max slots. Even still, it's probably more likely to get better value out of your money being available in 2021 than 2020.

The only reason they were in the running for DLo is because he's super close with KAT. 

19 hours ago, Leader said:

Ricky Rubio said he's ready to step into a leadership role in Phoenix this upcoming season. "I think he saw an opportunity to come here and be who he is, who he’s always been, a leader," said Phoenix GM James Jones. "My conversation with Ricky was direct ... It was, ‘We need you. We think you can thrive here. We think that you can make us better.’ That was a challenge he was willing to accept." Rubio struggled splitting the playmaking duties with Donovan Mitchell in Utah, but he'll be able to operate with the rock much more in Phoenix. He's still in his prime at 28 years old and could be in for a career year with the Suns.

How is he going to be able to operate with the ball a lot more in Phoenix when he's playing with Devin Booker? 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How is he going to be able to operate with the ball a lot more in Phoenix when he's playing with Devin Booker? 

Dont know....but sounds like he's looking to expand his role or is staking out some territory before things get started next year.
I dont mind players talking positively about what *more* they want or are looking to do. Better than the guy that comes to town just for the pay check IMO.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont know....but sounds like he's looking to expand his role or is staking out some territory before things get started next year.
I dont mind players talking positively about what *more* they want or are looking to do. Better than the guy that comes to town just for the pay check IMO.

Rubio was butthurt that we tried to trade him at the deadline for Mike Conley. I'm sure he'll be on ball more but having him out there is a liability if he's not on ball. 

Mark Cuban says Mavs will "certainly load manage" Kristaps Porzingis in his first year back from the ACL tear. Cuban said this in the context of how he views the league will change after Kawhi Leonard's 60-game, load management season, but he wouldn't say to what degree he expects the team to invoke load management with KP. Porzingis tore his ACL back in February of 2018 and then proceeded to take the entire 2019-20 season off, although he was reportedly practicing for the final month of the year. It sounds like back-to-back sets could be an issue for KP this upcoming season, and they may monitor his minutes early on.   Chuck Cooperstein

J.J. Barea (Achilles) said he's expecting to be 100% by the start of training camp in late-September. "I feel really good," Barea said. "Every week, the workouts get better and faster and stronger. I feel good about starting training camp ready to go. I’m doing basketball [stuff]. Pick and roll. I’m jumping rope already. I should be [jumping full speed] in the next couple weeks." Barea tore his Achilles in January, but it sounds like he'll be ready for the start of the year. He'll be brought along slowly, though, and won't have much fantasy value while the team is healthy.  Mavs . com

RJ Barrett double-doubled for the second-straight game on Wednesday, posting 21 points, two 3-pointers, 10 rebounds, three assists, one steal and one block. The Knicks have put Barrett in a distributor role frequently in Summer League, but that hasn't dulled his aggressiveness as a scorer -- he went 6-of-17 from the field tonight and 7-of-10 from the line. Knicks coach David Fizdale has plenty of options on a rebuilt 2019-20 roster, but one thing is certain -- Barrett will get playing time early and often. He's shooting a combined 35.2% from the field in Vegas, though, and efficiency will be a key.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rubio was butthurt that we tried to trade him at the deadline for Mike Conley. I'm sure he'll be on ball more but having him out there is a liability if he's not on ball. 

Could be. I dont know the guy's game.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

RJ Barrett double-doubled for the second-straight game on Wednesday, posting 21 points, two 3-pointers, 10 rebounds, three assists, one steal and one block. The Knicks have put Barrett in a distributor role frequently in Summer League, but that hasn't dulled his aggressiveness as a scorer -- he went 6-of-17 from the field tonight and 7-of-10 from the line. Knicks coach David Fizdale has plenty of options on a rebuilt 2019-20 roster, but one thing is certain -- Barrett will get playing time early and often. He's shooting a combined 35.2% from the field in Vegas, though, and efficiency will be a key.

He has nice vision and could be an excellent playmaker for others. He just doesn't have a clue on when he's supposed to attack vs. not. His shot selection is atrocious.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

He has nice vision and could be an excellent playmaker for others. He just doesn't have a clue on when he's supposed to attack vs. not. His shot selection is atrocious.

Rookie. Hopefully he'll get good coaching. Fizdale? Dont know. Cant say.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

That was his biggest issue at Duke as well. We needed him to be ultra aggressive because we lacked scoring / shooting. But he took a lot of bad shots when he should’ve been looking to facilitate. His rebounding, passing, and defense are all very good. He just has to be smarter with the ball.

• Like 1

Willie Cauley-Stein picked up a new hobby ahead of free agency, and it wasn’t as relaxing as he thought it would be.

“The first day [of free agency], I’m sitting there waiting on the top-tier dudes to go,” the former Kings big man told NBC Sports. “I picked up fishing. I need to do something with this time, you know what I’m saying? Like, sitting here waiting was just brutal on my mental state. So I started fishing.”

His venture was interrupted by a call from his agent, luckily for both of them.

“I got a call from my agent, I’m out in the boonies,” Cauley-Stein said. “They’re like, ‘Where you at? The Warriors are trying to call.’ I’m like, ‘Hold up! I’m on the lake and I ain’t got no service.’ So I had to drive two miles up the road so I could get service and take the call.”

The one-time Kentucky prodigy confessed he was holding out to see what other options may be available, but then his agent put Warriors coach Steven Kerr on the phone.   NY Post