Top 5 Packers Age 25 or Younger?

Cadmus

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, and MVS had an expected catch rate of 9.2 last year.  Meaning, his targets were crap and shouldn't even count as a target. 

nrDqqP.gif

Watch wide open MVS.  Watch Aaron Rodgers miss wide open MVS. 

Do you not remember how many times Rodgers did that this past year? 

lol god, what a **** throw.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, and MVS had an expected catch rate of 9.2 last year.  Meaning, his targets were crap and shouldn't even count as a target. 

nrDqqP.gif

This is why I'm so excited for this year. I expect Rodgers to play better than last year, and people don't realize just how much production the offense left on the field last year. MVS alone probably lost close to 300 yards and 3-4 TDs just on stuff like this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

nrDqqP.gif

That one you posted up there still hurts.  Man, deflating to say the least.  Funny watching 3 guys try to slow Mack down and he still got a pressure.  Who was that RT he put on skates that play?  Spriggs?

Find the one where Rodgers throws a 3 yard out to MVS, but puts the ball as a one yard out, then he stands and glares at MVS.  That one stood out, too.  

The point of my post was pretty simple.  I didn't think MVS had nearly the throws go his way last year as I found out.  Sure Allison went down, but there were periods of time where he just didn't see the ball at the all...like games worth of time.

I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in year two.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, pacman5252 said:

Maybe he isn't the sexiest spartan, but he did have the third best RAS score out of any DE/Edge prospect in the last 10 years (behind Garret/Miller). Hopefully he proves that Michigan used him wrong

You did it again.  Referring to a Wolverine as a spartan is sacrilegious.

• Like 2

Since it's still the offseason for way too long, six days or whatever, going to pivot to just talking about Packers under 25 in general. 

Aside from whoever it was that is driving the Tony Brown fan club bandwagon, how do the rest of y'all feel about him?  To be honest, I think the Packers might actually have a player there.  Dude is so twitchy and fired up on every play, it looks like he's playing hopped up on something.  Strong too, loves to hit at the line and then just pester people through the whole route.  If his game ever matches his desire guy will be a Hall of Famer.  Might try to go through his tape from the end of last season, just because I don't remember seeing many plays of him not sticky in coverage which is rare for a young guy.

Also, watching the last few games of the season, Mon Adams might be about to break out in a big way.  His game came a long way from the start of the year; it really looked to be slowing down for him out there.  He's tough to move in the run game and has the quickness to beat his man if they drop their head trying to get some leverage.  His swim move in the run game is damn good, picked up a few TFL with it.  Still haven't seen him show the pass rush yet, but physically I think he can do it, just needs to keep learning how the rush game works at the pro level.  He tended to out-man his guy in college, but NFL OL are too strong and hold too well.  He's gotta be better about clearing hands, and more importantly keeping them off him in the first place.  He's showing some signs he's picking it up, just needs to keep after it.

Also, Allison should absolutely be getting some discussion in this thread really.  He's absolutely still the Packers 2nd best WR, and a guy I think fans have the wrong impression of.  He's long, plays the ball over the top really well, and is buttery smooth (especially for 6'3").  Runs better than people think too.  Most importantly, he is far and away the Packers best scramble drill receiver; that man can find the hole in any coverage before you can say "Aaron just stay on schedule please for the love of God".  I'm sure MLF is going to push Rodgers to cut down on that stuff, but it's always going to be part of his game and there's no one on the team better at it than Allison.

I keep forgetting Kendall Donnerson is a person.  Sure looks the part, hopefully he''ll learn how to play football at some point.

Finally can't wait to see what EQ does this year.  Rare to see someone that tall who can get in and out of his breaks like EQ.  Very good blocker, good with the ball in his hands, didn't drop a single pass, and has the physical profile of an All-Pro.  Crowded depth chart there but not sure you can keep talent like that off the field.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Finally can't wait to see what EQ does this year.  Rare to see someone that tall who can get in and out of his breaks like EQ.  Very good blocker, good with the ball in his hands, didn't drop a single pass, and has the physical profile of an All-Pro.  Crowded depth chart there but not sure you can keep talent like that off the field.

I haven't "watched film", but I did notice EQ's downfield blocking on several occasions, including helping MVS get a few more yards. 
He's willing to stick his nose in there and that's gonna get him some play time this fall, despite the crowded depth chart.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Since it's still the offseason for way too long, six days or whatever, going to pivot to just talking about Packers under 25 in general. 

Aside from whoever it was that is driving the Tony Brown fan club bandwagon, how do the rest of y'all feel about him?  To be honest, I think the Packers might actually have a player there.  Dude is so twitchy and fired up on every play, it looks like he's playing hopped up on something.  Strong too, loves to hit at the line and then just pester people through the whole route.  If his game ever matches his desire guy will be a Hall of Famer.  Might try to go through his tape from the end of last season, just because I don't remember seeing many plays of him not sticky in coverage which is rare for a young guy.

Also, watching the last few games of the season, Mon Adams might be about to break out in a big way.  His game came a long way from the start of the year; it really looked to be slowing down for him out there.  He's tough to move in the run game and has the quickness to beat his man if they drop their head trying to get some leverage.  His swim move in the run game is damn good, picked up a few TFL with it.  Still haven't seen him show the pass rush yet, but physically I think he can do it, just needs to keep learning how the rush game works at the pro level.  He tended to out-man his guy in college, but NFL OL are too strong and hold too well.  He's gotta be better about clearing hands, and more importantly keeping them off him in the first place.  He's showing some signs he's picking it up, just needs to keep after it.

Also, Allison should absolutely be getting some discussion in this thread really.  He's absolutely still the Packers 2nd best WR, and a guy I think fans have the wrong impression of.  He's long, plays the ball over the top really well, and is buttery smooth (especially for 6'3").  Runs better than people think too.  Most importantly, he is far and away the Packers best scramble drill receiver; that man can find the hole in any coverage before you can say "Aaron just stay on schedule please for the love of God".  I'm sure MLF is going to push Rodgers to cut down on that stuff, but it's always going to be part of his game and there's no one on the team better at it than Allison.

I keep forgetting Kendall Donnerson is a person.  Sure looks the part, hopefully he''ll learn how to play football at some point.

Tony Brown is the player you enjoy working with the most as a coach because all the physical talent in the world is there, but the head isn't. 

All but the top 1% of NFL talents can't cover an average NFL receiver without having a good idea as to what route or route combos they might be seeing. 

Brown's limitations are mental. He doesn't catch the nuances. What does it mean that the WR is 8 yards off the numbers and not 5? He's not getting that's hinting at a dig route rather than a vertical. He's not getting the differences in the stem. The difference between a guy counting his steps to gauge an in-breaking route and a guy blowing off the line to take it deep. He sometimes misses his pass off responsibilities because he's not feeling what's happening behind him. Some of it is inexperience, but it's the same thing that haunted him at Bama.

He's probably never going to be a guy who processes it naturally and without thinking, but if you can train him to the point that he's going through his checklist without hesitation, that might be a player. The problem is that he's never really gone through that checklist in his career, he just goes and does. 

+++

Adams is in a tough spot right now. For his personal development as a player, you hope somebody made a decision this offseason on what Adams is going to be. Is he going to be a 0/1? A power 3? A 5? And you hope that they're having him build his body to that game.

On the other hand, the team might feel that his versatility, and by that I mean his ability to not be a disaster at any of them, is his most valuable trait to this team. At which point you don't try and mold his body and leave him at 315 and pray like hell that with a bit of man strength he grows into a strong fit at all of them. That doesn't happen often, but it sure is nice to have somebody who isn't going to kill you who can play anywhere.

At the moment, he's not quite solid enough to handle the double teams clean, but he's a load for Centers. He's not quite quick enough or polished enough to blow by Guards, and he doesn't have the pop to walk Tackles back. 

He's not a pure talent enough to be trying to play all spots

He needs to either get up 335 and develop that straight double team anchor or needs to find a home at 305 and find some hands to go with his length and strength in getting after the passer.

On the positive side, he's got talent and seems to be taking to coaching which was something of a concern in school. It's good clay, somebody just needs to mold it, which first requires deciding what to mold it in to.

+++

Allison is a good receiver. He's made major strides every year and turned himself into a guy that every team would love to have. He's got a "Solid#2" ceiling but he's not a guy who flashes pro bowl ability just because he lacks the tools.

You hope that the toolsier young guys eventually surpass him and he moves into that 3rd receiver spot where he's got the potential to be a difference maker. 

+++

I love MVS. It's always great to get a player late in the draft where the sheet says there's a whole bunch of red flags and question marks and then you go out on the field and go, "Uh, scouting department, I thought you said this guy couldn't find the football?" 

The ceiling is real. Not the most natural player, kinda similar to Tony Brown in that way, but not nearly as bad and at a position with a much shorter checklist. Of all of them, he might just be the safest bet just because the tools as they are where he was as a rookie always have a viable spot. He's also got some specials value if the offensive thing doesn't work out.

+++ 

And as much as I'm positive on MVS, EQ might be the guy that the coaches are higher on. He doesn't have the same athleticism in shorts, but he's a smooth athlete and is a lot more mature with where he's at. He came in with an NFL body and understanding NFL expectations which is a positive thing. So long as he keeps buying in, he's going to be solid. 

+++

Donnerson is a ST body at this point. Maybe he learns to not rush with his face, but at this point expecting anything out of him is setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He needs to either get up 335 and develop that straight double team anchor or needs to find a home at 305 and find some hands to go with his length and strength in getting after the passer.

I agree with everything in your piece, except this about Montravius Adams. I wouldn't like to see any player up at 335.

In todays game, my idea of maximum weight is 315-320lbs (Kenny Clark is 314). When you go above that, it seems to play increasing havoc with your knees (not to mention cardio, knee bend and health generally). I could live with 325, for the O line guard or tackle. Sitton was thereabouts, but he carried a fair sized gut, and currently Taylor at 324 (listed) is 10lb heavier than Turner, Bulaga, Bakhtiari. It doesn't sound like a big difference in weight, but 315-320  seems to be a tipping point, the more you are over that, the worse off you are, especially on defense. Raji was listed 333lb and had a huge spare tyre around his middle.

Because I'm seeing  the weight difference between NT and DE as less now (say 305 to 315ish) I don't see such a need to reshape ones body to one or the other. Sure there is a different emphasis playing inside and out, but it isn't that huge. Speed helps on the outside, but it helps inside too (or at least the first step does) and high-level strength works well at the edge just as it does inside. At 315 you are never going to be a slippery, bend the edge guy, but you could win with power coupled with body-position and hand use. More than weight, I'd say the biggest determining factor in where he plays is simply where he is most comfortable/effective.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I agree with everything in your piece, except this about Montravius Adams. I wouldn't like to see any player up at 335.

In todays game, my idea of maximum weight is 315-320lbs (Kenny Clark is 314). When you go above that, it seems to play increasing havoc with your knees (not to mention cardio, knee bend and health generally). I could live with 325, for the O line guard or tackle. Sitton was thereabouts, but he carried a fair sized gut, and currently Taylor at 324 (listed) is 10lb heavier than Turner, Bulaga, Bakhtiari. It doesn't sound like a big difference in weight, but 315-320  seems to be a tipping point, the more you are over that, the worse off you are, especially on defense. Raji was listed 333lb and had a huge spare tyre around his middle.

Because I'm seeing  the weight difference between NT and DE as less now (say 305 to 315ish) I don't see such a need to reshape ones body to one or the other. Sure there is a different emphasis playing inside and out, but it isn't that huge. Speed helps on the outside, but it helps inside too (or at least the first step does) and high-level strength works well at the edge just as it does inside. At 315 you are never going to be a slippery, bend the edge guy, but you could win with power coupled with body-position and hand use. More than weight, I'd say the biggest determining factor in where he plays is simply where he is most comfortable/effective.

Raji was also 2, maybe 3, inches shorter than Adams. Adams may be good at 320-325, you're right, it is 2019.

the difference between playing outside in the 5 is that the double teams if they're coming are coming from OT and TE, which is a lot different than OC and OG. Those guys on the offensive edge would much rather try and work you with length and speed than they do trying to blow you off the ball.