Depth Chart and Practice Squad

bucsfan333

8 minutes ago, indifference said:

Really not expecting much from Evans this year. Rookie safeties hardly make a huge impact so I'm fine with slowly working him in the rotation. That said guys like Jamal Adams and Hooker are going to have big years.

i just have a bad feeling we wasted the pick

i think we are a safety away from being a great D

52 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i just have a bad feeling we wasted the pick

i think we are a safety away from being a great D

We've actually got enough depth that he doesn't HAVE to be thrown into the line up right away. It's something we've never had since I've been following the Bucs.

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've actually got enough depth that he doesn't HAVE to be thrown into the line up right away. It's something we've never had since I've been following the Bucs.

This is a fact. I really don't want to rush a guy who isn't ready yet. The depth on this team is as best as its ever been. Evans not playing much this year may feel like a wasted pick but his upside is worth letting him slowly develop. He can learn some things from a quality safety like TJ Ward.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Really not expecting much from Evans this year. Rookie safeties hardly make a huge impact so I'm fine with slowly working him in the rotation. That said guys like Jamal Adams and Hooker are going to have big years.

I just wonder about this defense in that vets at safety last year had all kind of issues with coverage due to  "communication ".  He showed really good ball skills in the SEC.  I agree with you this is learning year for Evans.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

This is a fact. I really don't want to rush a guy who isn't ready yet. The depth on this team is as best as its ever been. Evans not playing much this year may feel like a wasted pick but his upside is worth letting him slowly develop. He can learn some things from a quality safety like TJ Ward.

lets just hope he ACTUALLY learns something

2 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

lets just hope he ACTUALLY learns something

Agreed. I think repetition live game is the best way to learn. And why I say if we play him on limited snaps, we can see where he needs to improve upon. All while still trying to win now by letting Ward Tandy and Conte play more. Expecting a lot 3 safety formations this year.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, indifference said:

I expect him to earn more reps as the season goes on.

We're in a fortunate position that we can develop our younger guys in the secondary, which seems especially important given how complex Smith's defence can be with coverages. I expect we'll spend another high pick on our secondary in the offseason to eventual give us a quality replacement for Grimes.

Tandy and Conte are both 28, so we should get quite few seasons out of them, if we want them.  McClain feels like a stop gap for CB depth, but hopefully Smith and Elliot develop into reliable contributors as this season goes on.  How we use Josh Robinson defensively will be interesting (if we use him at all) - he's on the depth chart as a safety, but he's listed as a CB. I wonder if he's our safety/nickel hybrid. 

If our coaching staff on that side of the ball are as good as we think, our secondary won't be as thin as we think it is, come mid-season.

2 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

I expect him to earn more reps as the season goes on.

We're in a fortunate position that we can develop our younger guys in the secondary, which seems especially important given how complex Smith's defence can be with coverages. I expect we'll spend another high pick on our secondary in the offseason to eventual give us a quality replacement for Grimes.

Tandy and Conte are both 28, so we should get quite few seasons out of them, if we want them.  McClain feels like a stop gap for CB depth, but hopefully Smith and Elliot develop into reliable contributors as this season goes on.  How we use Josh Robinson defensively will be interesting (if we use him at all) - he's on the depth chart as a safety, but he's listed as a CB. I wonder if he's our safety/nickel hybrid. 

If our coaching staff on that side of the ball are as good as we think, our secondary won't be as thin as we think it is, come mid-season.

i feel like Tandy learned alot while he was a back up for all those years, and it showed when he got his chance last year

Conte is a very solid.....backup, as much as i like him he isnt a playmaker, he does have his moments though, like that big pick against KC last year

as far as our CBs, McClain is a stop gap, and IMO idk how Smith even gets playing time everytime i see him in their hes getting burnt or letting a WR make a play

CB3 is a need for sure

19 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Surprised we're doing anything football related right now.

I wonder if they tried to get another developmental QB after the initial cuts.  Watching Hard Knocks, there was no mention of the organization wanting him on the practice squad.  I expect him to be in training camp next season with Griffin as the other back up.  Would be extremely surprised if Fitzpatrick is offered a contract next season. 

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I wonder if they tried to get another developmental QB after the initial cuts.  Watching Hard Knocks, there was no mention of the organization wanting him on the practice squad.  I expect him to be in training camp next season with Griffin as the other back up.  Would be extremely surprised if Fitzpatrick is offered a contract next season. 

If Griff comes back this season fully healthy, I expect us to cut Fitz and activate Griff. I think Koetter is that high on him.

This is all assuming nobody else ends up on IR with a return designation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived