Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

I expect more of this especially at RB...

As a Raider fan I'll like him not in football shape ASAP. As a football fan, I'd like the Chargers to not get the injury bug and be a quality team. Except when playing my Raiders, they can fold those games.  :D Rivers needs a ring being in that QB class. Even though he's on a rival team it's be a nice story if nothing else.

Gordon is being smart as he has an injury history at a short shelf life position. Zeke will probably get paid early if this goes south. Jerry won't want the PR...

Edited by G
  • Like 4

Realistically, what teams would be willing to trade for him and give him a new contract?  

Bucs and Dolphins are the only two teams that could really need another RB to the point of trading for him and giving him a shiny new contract, but can the Bucs even afford that?  There are other teams too who could use an upgrade, but it wouldn't make sense for them to invest that much in one.  Seahawks drafted Penny in the 1st round last year and have Carson.  Bears could use someone other than Cohen, but it isn't a dire need.  Same thing with the Chiefs and Hyde, Packers and Jones, Texans and Miller.  Those teams could use upgrades, but not to the point they would trade and extend Gordon.

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Realistically, what teams would be willing to trade for him and give him a new contract?  

Bucs and Dolphins are the only two teams that could really need another RB to the point of trading for him and giving him a shiny new contract, but can the Bucs even afford that?  There are other teams too who could use an upgrade, but it wouldn't make sense for them to invest that much in one.  Seahawks drafted Penny in the 1st round last year and have Carson.  Bears could use someone other than Cohen, but it isn't a dire need.  Same thing with the Chiefs and Hyde, Packers and Jones, Texans and Miller.  Those teams could use upgrades, but not to the point they would trade and extend Gordon.

Agree.    I could see a contender doing a 1 year rental, and then he's a free agent.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

There just aren't that many RB-needy teams. I don't see there being much of a market for Gordon. 

I could see him getting around 7 per year but nothing close to Gurley money. I could see Chargers ultimately extending him but playing hard ball and due to lack of potential trade partners get him for relatively cheap money

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Plus,  a team can draft a couple mid to late rounds each year and they will eventually hit. 

Pretty much. Even teams with a questionable run game still have runners with high upside on their team.

The only teams that would likely have a high interest in him would be teams that were a great RB away from being an elite team. No teams fit that mold and even if they did, they wouldn't want to pay Gordon what he's going to be asking for.