Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

58 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Not a fan of the Chargers but much respect to how they have handled this case. Telesco is a good one.

If only Jerry Jones could learn.

Please refrain from comparing Melvin Gordon to Ezekiel Elliott going forward.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Yeah, I never thought Gordon was an RB elite at any point in his career...Very good player, yes but elite to his position, no.

I was just talking to friend about this.  You could see the Zeke holdout ending because he deserved the money.  I just don't know where this Gordon holdout goes, because he's not worth it.  He's good, but not top of the market good.

Between Ekeler and Justin Jackson, LAC will probably be fine.  Which will really confuse things if Gordon shows up midseason...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

What salary are the Chargers eating? Is it Melvin's 5th year option or a new extension?

Not sure the CBA allows them to eat "new money" which would be what any extension would be, unless they signed him to the extension and then traded him (which would be asinine since whatever bonus money he received would compound and accelerate against their current cap ledger, which isn't all that flexible to begin with).  Because the option for this year was exercised, technically, last season, they could probably convert some of the salary the option guarantees into bonus and thus they'd pay that out and eat it against the cap to facilitate a trade, but that's about all that could feasibly be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Not sure the CBA allows them to eat "new money" which would be what any extension would be, unless they signed him to the extension and then traded him (which would be asinine since whatever bonus money he received would compound and accelerate against their current cap ledger, which isn't all that flexible to begin with).  Because the option for this year was exercised, technically, last season, they could probably convert some of the salary the option guarantees into bonus and thus they'd pay that out and eat it against the cap to facilitate a trade, but that's about all that could feasibly be done.

HOU agreed to convert 7M of Clowney's 15M franchise tag before trading him to SEA.   As long as it's LAC agreeing with MG3 prior to the trade, it's definitely do-able.   It has to be a sign (reworked deal) and trade, though.   Convert 4M of the 5.4M 2019 option to a bonus, and LAC's on the hook for 4M, acquiring team 1M.

For example, if TAM, who is 25K under the cap (LOL), were to trade Ronald Jones III to LAC, they'd still need LAC to cover 4M+ of the 5.4M to make the cap work.  So yes, it's definitely do-able.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that PHI offer (if as described) was ridonkulous lol.

Edited by Broncofan

14 hours ago, Elky said:

Please refrain from comparing Melvin Gordon to Ezekiel Elliott going forward.

What would we do here? Not that I'm saying we are the standard everyone should hold to, but I'm just curious as to what BB would do with this? I can't recall him ever having to deal with someone who thought the offense went through him (or a lot of it through him) and demanding more money on a hold out. I feel like, no matter who it is, his *** would be cut? 

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

HOU agreed to convert 7M of Clowney's 15M franchise tag before trading him to SEA.   As long as it's LAC agreeing with MG3 prior to the trade, it's definitely do-able.   It has to be a sign (reworked deal) and trade, though.   Convert 4M of the 5.4M 2019 option to a bonus, and LAC's on the hook for 4M, acquiring team 1M.

For example, if TAM, who is 25K under the cap (LOL), were to trade Ronald Jones III to LAC, they'd still need LAC to cover 4M+ of the 5.4M to make the cap work.  So yes, it's definitely do-able.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that PHI offer (if as described) was ridonkulous lol.

What I'm struggling to understand is why would we do that, instead of just letting him walk and getting a comp pick. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What would we do here? Not that I'm saying we are the standard everyone should hold to, but I'm just curious as to what BB would do with this? I can't recall him ever having to deal with someone who thought the offense went through him (or a lot of it through him) and demanding more money on a hold out. I feel like, no matter who it is, his *** would be cut? 

Historically, I think they’d offer a competitive-but-not-top-market deal. If that was clearly not on the table and only market-breaking money was in play, they’d trade the player IMO. 

But it’s hard to say. NE hasn’t really had an elite player (like, top 1-3) hold them over like that in recent memory. 

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

What I'm struggling to understand is why would we do that, instead of just letting him walk and getting a comp pick. 

Well there are 3 reasons:

1.  If the Chargers see themselves as buyers in FA and MG3 is their only planned high priced departure then they’d likely lose that pick.  Remember it’s not a guarantee you get the pick - it’s the net gains / losses.  

2.  MG3’s FA deal might not make the top 10-12 FA deals as a RB - so even if (1) doesn’t apply, the standard may not be an end-of-3rd comp pick in 2021 - but an end of 4th.   And any pick comes a year later, vs. a pick in 2020.  

3.  Finally and perhaps most importantly - the team that acquires MG3 at a $ discount would be upgrading the pick return.   The PHI offer was ridiculous.   But a team like TAM who can’t afford MG3 right now might kick in a 2020 2nd/3rd if enough $$ gets absorbed by LAC.   HOU paid CLE a 2nd to take Osweiler’s 16M off their books.   A TAM deal given their cap room being nil would likely include an offer that is better than the comp pick alone.   Basically LAC paying $ to upgrade the pick return.  

If LAC is waiting on a high pick with MG3’s demands for an extension at those rates I don’t see a trade.   If they take on $ with a team that can’t fit MG3 in and desperately needs RB (TAM) then there’s a fit.   The PHI offer isn’t that scenario obv.   But I don’t see a 1st either.  The only team that is throwing away pick value has taken their shots (HOU).  The only team I think would consider a high price is TAM because they are cap strapped so need to upgrade the pick return so the seller can take on the 2019 cap hit.   Otherwise it’s hard to see a match where LAC even gets a 2nd rounder back given MG3 would be extended st market 2nd contract RB rates.

The most likely outcome is MG3 reports before week 10 and then hits the FA market.  Keep in mind points (1) and (2) before locking in LAC as getting a comp pick in 2021, and an end-of-3rd.   That’s far from certain.   Which is what makes the trade now scenario more in play than when viewed at surface level.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1