Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

Tampa, Miami and Green Bay are the only teams I can think of without a lead back that could trade for him. I'd ship him off if he is indeed asking for Gurley type of money. Look Melvin is good but he is a slower power back with only 1 season over 1K and 4 yard a carry. The Chargers being cheap is rightfully so considering he has played in his time with the Chargers.

33 minutes ago, RandomCampBody said:

Not sure on the chargers cap situation but something like 4 for 50m with most of the guarantees upfront that they can get out of after 2 or 3 years seems fair to me.

Gurley got 45m guaranteed so around 30m would fair for Gordon imo.

I think 6m aav is generous the more I think about it. He’s not a bellcow like Gurley. He has always been RBBC. 

26 minutes ago, Classic said:

Tampa, Miami and Green Bay are the only teams I can think of without a lead back that could trade for him. I'd ship him off if he is indeed asking for Gurley type of money. Look Melvin is good but he is a slower power back with only 1 season over 1K and 4 yard a carry. The Chargers being cheap is rightfully so considering he has played in his time with the Chargers.

As far as I'm concerned as a GB fan, I would rather have the 3 rookie RB contracts we have with their production over paying what I assume Gordon wants. Aaron Jones isn't better (at this point) than Melvin Gordon, but he will count for $695k and $785k the next two years against the cap. Jamaal Williams $786k and $876k. Melvin will cost $5.6m this year, and likely $10+m the next. 

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I could see him getting around 7 per year but nothing close to Gurley money. I could see Chargers ultimately extending him but playing hard ball and due to lack of potential trade partners get him for relatively cheap money

Bosa and Rivers (yes, Rivers) are clearly going to be higher on the pecking order than him for extensions.  I'd wager that Hunter Henry and Desmond King could well be higher-priority, and could very easily be in a position to jump Gordon outright if they're willing to give a slight discount.  I don't blame Gordon for trying this, but I also won't blame the Chargers in the slightest if they hardball it all the way out and don't extend him.  Even if the market weren't what it was, Gordon isn't the kind of YAC-monster RB that you give Top 5 money to, he's replaceable, and - granted it's a limited sample-size - but Justin Jackson showed he's capable of handling that yolk last season.

All that said, this is why Telesco was dumb to use a Top 15 pick, let alone trade up to do so, to draft Gordon in the first place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

All that said, this is why Telesco was dumb to use a Top 15 pick, let alone trade up to do so, to draft Gordon in the first place.

This. Gordon has not outplayed his rookie contract and is due to make almost 6m this year. The deeper I dive the lower the offer I’d throw at him. I’m pretty sure the plan was to let him walk after this season. Now he doesn’t want to play out his deal and is going to DEMAND a trade. No one is going to offer compensation for a zone blocking scheme running back that has struggled to stay healthy even with a RBBC approach and then you add in ball security issues. 

This could end end up being a blessing in disguise. If he doesn’t report he will be exempt from the roster and We won’t have to risk Newsome to practice squad poaching through cuts. If someone else wants to throw money at him fantastic, otherwise he can show up healthy  and needing to show off for free agency at whatever point he needs to acquire the season towards UFA. We might even score a comp pick for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Depends on what he wants. If he's looking for Le'Veon Bell money, forget it, he's not THAT good.

He's gotten an offer and, per his agent, he feels "disrespected by it."  Sounds like Flash and his agent are gassed up on themselves.  Melvin's actually a candidate for TD regression this season, looking at advanced/situational statistics (and I think he knows it).  I get wanting the security of guaranteed money, but his 5th-year-option pays him as a Top-11 RB, and based off the "accomplishments" his agent (whose name is Bilbo, I kid you not) lists off (made 2 of the last 4 Pro Bowls, "where he was drafted" - as if that should matter) the picture appears to be painted that he believes he deserves Le'Veon money.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

This. Gordon has not outplayed his rookie contract and is due to make almost 6m this year. The deeper I dive the lower the offer I’d throw at him. I’m pretty sure the plan was to let him walk after this season. Now he doesn’t want to play out his deal and is going to DEMAND a trade. No one is going to offer compensation for a zone blocking scheme running back that has struggled to stay healthy even with a RBBC approach and then you add in ball security issues. 

This could end end up being a blessing in disguise. If he doesn’t report he will be exempt from the roster and We won’t have to risk Newsome to practice squad poaching through cuts. If someone else wants to throw money at him fantastic, otherwise he can show up healthy  and needing to show off for free agency at whatever point he needs to acquire the season towards UFA. We might even score a comp pick for him. 

I believe he needs 6 games to accrue a season of service.  So he'd have to show up in time to play the Chiefs in Week 11 in Mexico, just ahead of the bye week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I believe he needs 6 games to accrue a season of service.  So he'd have to show up in time to play the Chiefs in Week 11, just ahead of the bye week.

Historically we will definitely have someone ready for IR by then.