Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

5 hours ago, EL Guapo said:

I think the Chargers could just let him sit out. Does he have to report at some point to become a free agent next year? 

I'm pretty sure if he sits out the entire season he's still a Charger and not a UFA.

• Like 1

All that said, this is why Telesco was dumb to use a Top 15 pick, let alone trade up to do so, to draft Gordon in the first place.

This. I remember our board was pretty down on the pick at the time

Gordon is a really good player and the team is better with him in the lineup. But he has never been special and that was my issue with the pick four years ago. RBs have to special like LT, AD etc. too justify taking them that high IMO. I mean last year was the first year since Gordon has been here in which the Chargers were an above average rushing team. 

36 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Generally not considered a top 5 back, so he won't be getting 10 million per year plus

I don't know what his agent is gonna lean on in the upcoming $$ negotiations.
Gordon hasn't been durable and hasn't blown out the rushing, receiving or TD numbers
Gonna be an uphill climb. My guess is that he just wants to taste the guaranteed cash ( whatever it is) before he risks another injury
Hence his deadline before TC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't know what his agent is gonna lean on in the upcoming $$ negotiations.
Gordon hasn't been durable and hasn't blown out the rushing, receiving or TD numbers
Gonna be an uphill climb. My guess is that he just wants to taste the guaranteed cash ( whatever it is) before he risks another injury
Hence his deadline before TC

Direct from the horse's mouth, "where he was drafted"... as though that matters for anything.

So he wants Leveon Bell money and someone other then his agent said they’d give it to him. My guess is it’s Mark Davis just trolling a divisional rival. 

Show of hands. Who is buying at 5/40 million with 25 guaranteed? It’s more then I’d want Gordon for and still a discount on what Bell received. 

2 hours ago, game3525 said:

This. I remember our board was pretty down on the pick at the time

Gordon is a really good player and the team is better with him in the lineup. But he has never been special and that was my issue with the pick four years ago. RBs have to special like LT, AD etc. too justify taking them that high IMO. I mean last year was the first year since Gordon has been here in which the Chargers were an above average rushing team. 

My main problem with it was just trading up for him, he was a fine pick at that spot when you consider that nobody too remarkable came out of the latter half of the first round that year. If we didn't trade up for that pick, I'd have been fine with it.

I think the bigger problem is that RB's get really screwed by having the earliest prime of any position in the league. A RB can immediately come out of college and be one of the best in the NFL, but they don't age well. 26-27 is usually the age that most RB's hit the wall, and that's around the age a first round RB will be looking for his second contract.

Unfortunately for Gordon he doesn't have much leverage in this situation. If he doesn't report by week 11 at the latest, he's still a Charger in 2020. From what I understand the team also has the right to fine him for missing training camp as he is under contract. It's not really comparable to the Bell situation as that was with a franchise tag.

I don't think anyone is in the wrong here. From Gordon's perspective I get why he wants to get paid as soon as possible because his value is only going to get lower as time passes by. From the Chargers perspective it just isn't smart to pay a RB big dollars in 2019, especially when you have like Bosa, King and Rivers who are going to be due for new contracts very soon. They are easily replaced and Anthony Lynn's bread and butter is supposedly developing young RB's. My hope as a Chargers fan is that he just plays it out this year and a team with a lot of cap space pays him next offseason and we get a comp pick for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

This. Gordon has not outplayed his rookie contract and is due to make almost 6m this year. The deeper I dive the lower the offer I’d throw at him. I’m pretty sure the plan was to let him walk after this season. Now he doesn’t want to play out his deal and is going to DEMAND a trade. No one is going to offer compensation for a zone blocking scheme running back that has struggled to stay healthy even with a RBBC approach and then you add in ball security issues. 

This could end end up being a blessing in disguise. If he doesn’t report he will be exempt from the roster and We won’t have to risk Newsome to practice squad poaching through cuts. If someone else wants to throw money at him fantastic, otherwise he can show up healthy  and needing to show off for free agency at whatever point he needs to acquire the season towards UFA. We might even score a comp pick for him. 

Except Gordon doesn't have ball security issues. Unless you think that LT also had ball security problems.

http://www.nfl.com/player/melvingordon/2552469/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/ladainiantomlinson/2504778/profile

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Except Gordon doesn't have ball security issues. Unless you think that LT also had ball security problems.

http://www.nfl.com/player/melvingordon/2552469/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/ladainiantomlinson/2504778/profile

Yeah I think Gordon had like no fumbles for the longest time last year. I think he eventually did have one, but he went like 75% without fumbling. That's actually really impressive.

Gordon's biggest problem is his vision isn't very good and he's somewhat injury prone. I'm afraid that his production is very reliant on physical ability and we could see that drastically decline in a couple of years because of all his knee injuries.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

I like Gordon. He's an underrated even by fans of the team. He could have easily become a bust after his disappointing rookie season. But every year, he's gotten better and better including his TDs scored, vision, and ball security. Unfortunately, he won't get a large contract for a variety of different reasons. His durability is definitely a big factor, but he also plays a fungible position that is less important than QB, pass rusher, or OL. And given what happened to Gurley and David Johnson, I don't see teams making the same mistake again. With that being said, I think after 2015, TT learned the importance of not trading up again.

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah I think Gordon had like no fumbles for the longest time last year. I think he eventually did have one, but he went like 75% without fumbling. That's actually really impressive.

Gordon's biggest problem is his vision isn't very good and he's somewhat injury prone. I'm afraid that his production is very reliant on physical ability and we could see that drastically decline in a couple of years because of all his knee injuries.

I think his vision has gotten better each and every year. It's just that he's not that durable through no fault of his own. Some players just can't put up with the beatings no matter how hard they train. I will say this though, he's Superman compared to Ryan Mathews.

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I like Gordon. He's an underrated even by fans of the team. He could have easily become a bust after his disappointing rookie season. But every year, he's gotten better and better including his TDs scored, vision, and ball security. Unfortunately, he won't get a large contract for a variety of different reasons. His durability is definitely a big factor, but he also plays a fungible position that is less important than QB, pass rusher, or OL. And given what happened to Gurley and David Johnson, I don't see teams making the same mistake again. With that being said, I think after 2015, TT learned the importance of not trading up again.

I also think that we are in a position that we can't afford to give out a big contract to a RB even if we wanted to.

Rivers, King, Bosa are all getting close to needing new contracts. They are all vital players to our team, and replacing players at those positions is MUCH  more difficult than replacing a RB.

If Henry looks to be back to what he was in 2017 this year, he'll also be a guy that would be a bigger priority to resign than Gordon.

If we give Gordon 8-figures, I just don't realistically see a way that we could resign all the others I just mentioned. It sucks because I really like Gordon but he's probably going to have to be the cap casualty. I do think that considering he has almost no leverage in this situation that it'll be in his best interest to try and put up the best numbers he can so that he can hit FA and get the deal he wants next year.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1