Jump to content
SBLIII

Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

Recommended Posts

Quote

If he has the balls to Sit and pull a Vincent Jackson, he'll just report Week 11. People can act like he has no leverage but a team with supposed SB aspirations and no real viable replacement giving you his kind of production.  I tend to disagree. 

Emmitt Smith did it to the Cowboys, watched the team lose two straight then see Jerry fold like a lawn chair, pay him and both then reap the benefits of another SB Ring.

This is a bad comparison IMO.

The Cowboy's offense was built around Smith, the Chargers offense isn't really built around Gordon. They don't use him like a traditional work-horse RB. The set up with MGIII and Ekeler is closer what the Saints had with Ingram and Kamara in 2017 then it is to Dallas with Emmitt in his prime or the Chargers with LT in his prime. 

We didn't have Melvin for our toughest stretch of the schedule last year and still managed to score the same amount of points when he was healthy and in the line up (they also went 4-0 during that stretch). 

If they lost Rivers or Allen, then yeah they are screwed. But not having Gordon is not a season-killer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, game3525 said:

This is a bad comparison IMO.

The Cowboy's offense was built around Smith, the Chargers offense isn't really built around Gordon. They don't use him like a traditional work-horse RB. The set up with MGIII and Ekeler is closer what the Saints had with Ingram and Kamara in 2017 then it is to Dallas with Emmitt in his prime or the Chargers with LT in his prime. 

We didn't have Melvin for our toughest stretch of the schedule last year and still managed to score the same amount of points when he was healthy and in the line up (they also went 4-0 during that stretch). 

If they lost Rivers or Allen, then yeah they are screwed. But not having Gordon is not a season-killer. 

It’s not all untrue, though. Gordon’s a mid-sized piece to a SB contending team, losing him wouldn’t be a death blow but it’d still make things a fair bit tougher. 

I do agree with the lot, though. Paying Gordon +10M doesn’t make sense and his trade value is pretty low. I don’t think MGIII has many legs to stand on, but he’s got some. Enough to possibly get him a few extra dollars, but not enough for the big contract he probably wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s not all untrue, though. Gordon’s a mid-sized piece to a SB contending team, losing him wouldn’t be a death blow but it’d still make things a fair bit tougher. 

I do agree with the lot, though. Paying Gordon +10M doesn’t make sense and his trade value is pretty low. I don’t think MGIII has many legs to stand on, but he’s got some. Enough to possibly get him a few extra dollars, but not enough for the big contract he probably wants.

Oh, they are worse without him. But his value to the team isn't to the point where he is going to have leverage over them. That is the difference between this and the situation Dallas found themselves in with Smith. He was likely their best overall player and running the football was much more valuable back in the early 90s then it is today. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Oh, they are worse without him. But his value to the team isn't to the point where he is going to have leverage over them. That is the difference between this and the situation Dallas found themselves in with Smith. He was likely their best overall player and running the football was much more valuable back in the early 90s then it is today. 

Agreed, the two situations aren’t really comparable. I find it hard to differentiate between the Chargers being stingy or just playing this situation smart - but they’re doing the right thing. 

Aspect not being brought up - I actually think Justin Jackson could be a decent guy in a rotation. Gordon isn’t getting the mega-deal he seemingly wants. Or at least, shouldn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed, but there is one more piece of leverage to consider Tetsujin,  and that's the LA market.
Chargers are without an avid local fan base and are trying to win over the LA fans. Getting into a pissing contest with Gordon won't help from a PR POV.
Rams paid their stars, Chargers need to do the same. Its a minor issue for most teams, but for the home-less Chargers it might carry some weight.
They don't want Bosa 2.0

Honestly, the more appropriate counter to this, rather than paying Gordon the amount he feels he deserves (which he doesn't), would be to either extend Rivers or Bosa.  I'm not sure how feasible the later is without sacrificing the former, but - barring the fans in LA who don't pay attention past the superficial, "He's on my fantasy team" perspective - I don't think anyone is going to debate that either of them are more worthy of an extension than Gordon is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The LBC said:

either extend Rivers or Bosa.

Do you think Bosa will re-sign with the Chargers or is he gonna wanna play with his bro in SF ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Do you think Bosa will re-sign with the Chargers or is he gonna wanna play with his bro in SF ?

I think he will go wherever he can get the most money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Do you think Bosa will re-sign with the Chargers or is he gonna wanna play with his bro in SF ?

What @Boltstrikes said.  If the Chargers make him the highest paid at his position or give him Aaron Donald money, he'll likely re-sign.  If they try to get him to accept a Von Miller comparable contract, I'd say he holds out to test the market and probably ends up somewhere where a spend-happy GM (possibly one with the benefit of being in a state income tax free locale) comes hard at him; with the space they're likely clearing this season and into next, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami go hard at him if he hits the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called this. And a Chargers fan and I think another poster were like, "lolwut". smh

Back when the season had ended in like February in NfL gen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

LT has 4x the number of touches. Gordon fumbled 4 times in 98 touches and ESPN called him out as having the worst ball security in the league. Add in that he’s a part time player. Played a full season once in his career. He really shouldn’t have as many fumbles as he does. 

Making things up again I see. The only ESPN article about his fumbling problem states that it's only 4 times on 862 touches since his rookie season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27167732/barnwell-why-chargers-extend-melvin-gordon-contract

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Do you think Bosa will re-sign with the Chargers or is he gonna wanna play with his bro in SF ?

It's funny. Your posts remind me of another forum I frequent where certain Charger fans actually thought that if we had drafted Nick Bosa somehow that Joey would have taken a discount to play with his brother. He'll go where the money is. If it wasn't for his durability concerns, Joey would be worth the crazy salary of a Donald or Mack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, game3525 said:

Oh, they are worse without him. But his value to the team isn't to the point where he is going to have leverage over them. That is the difference between this and the situation Dallas found themselves in with Smith. He was likely their best overall player and running the football was much more valuable back in the early 90s then it is today. 

 

Gordon is averaging 100yds from scrimmage and almost a 1TD a gm over his last 28 regular season games? How again is that impact not going to be felt or potentially not that big a loss and easily replaceable?

If anything he's under appreciated by the masses. Whether that's because  of his lack luster start as a Rookie , his history of injury I'm not sure but Austin Eckler, isnt filling those shoes on a full time basis.

I also wasn't comparing the talent or overall impact between the two but the SB aspirations where said player is a vital and key piece to that success!! He's at worst the 3rd most important player on Offense for the Chargers , I'd argue 2nd. 

That isnt easily replaced regardless of some 4-0 stretch when he was out. The window is closing on the Chargers not opening do to Rivers age. That's where the pressure or "leverage" to get a deal done comes into play "IMO". 

Problem is the Chargers FO is notorious for doing the opposite in contract talks. Almost out of spite. Especially since he allowed his Agent to go public! Ala Bell with the Steelers. Neither side willing to fold because of public perception in a game of chicken. Going to be ugly!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xenos said:

Making things up again I see. The only ESPN article about his fumbling problem states that it's only 4 times on 862 touches since his rookie season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27167732/barnwell-why-chargers-extend-melvin-gordon-contract

 

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/185446/post-brandon-lafell-debacle-the-nfls-all-hands-team

 

Don't know why you feel the need to be so antagonistic but there’s the article. Keep up the insults though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Gordon is averaging 100yds from scrimmage and almost a 1TD a gm over his last 28 regular season games? How again is that impact not going to be felt or potentially not that big a loss and easily replaceable?

If anything he's under appreciated by the masses. Whether that's because  of his lack luster start as a Rookie , his history of injury I'm not sure but Austin Eckler, isnt filling those shoes on a full time basis.

I also wasn't comparing the talent or overall impact between the two but the SB aspirations where said player is a vital and key piece to that success!! He's at worst the 3rd most important player on Offense for the Chargers , I'd argue 2nd. 

That isnt easily replaced regardless of some 4-0 stretch when he was out. The window is closing on the Chargers not opening do to Rivers age. That's where the pressure or "leverage" to get a deal done comes into play "IMO". 

Problem is the Chargers FO is notorious for doing the opposite in contract talks. Almost out of spite. Especially since he allowed his Agent to go public! Ala Bell with the Steelers. Neither side willing to fold because of public perception in a game of chicken. Going to be ugly!!

 

Last year was the first year since Gordon has been the starter in which they were an above average rushing team in terms of DVOA. Besides 2018 (which may be an outlier), the majority of his production comes down to pure volume. 

As for value on offense, he no where near as valuable as Keenan. Rivers splits without him puts that argument to rest. MGIII is third by default, but if Henry comes backs and plays like he did in 2017, then he likely leap frogs him. 

And like I said he doesn't have much leverage. The Chargers were likely not going to resign him in the offseason given the other players they have to bring back (Rivers, Bosa, Henry, Keenan is underpaid as well). On top of that, they like their stable of running backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth pointing out, the four games that the Chargers played without Gordon last year which included ones against the Chiefs and the Steelers... all 4 were wins.  He may not be out-and-out expendable, but he is very much replaceable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×