Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

7 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The problem, he could lose a lot of money if his holdout is very long...Gordon is not a super star right now .... only one great season in 4 years.

Man's averaging 100yds from scrimmage and almost a TD a game over his last 28 played. I'd say that's more then just one season.

10 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The problem, he could lose a lot of money if his holdout is very long...Gordon is not a super star right now .... only one great season in 4 years.

Good season.. 17th in rushing yard. 19th in total yards from scrimmage. He's a good player. I'd rather have him on the team then not, but he isn't a irreplaceable superstar.

2 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Good season.. 17th in rushing yard. 19th in total yards from scrimmage. He's a good player. I'd rather have him on the team then not, but he isn't a irreplaceable superstar.

He probably thinks he is the best RB in the NFL or at least that's what his agent tells him. Otherwise he would have easily taken 10 APY and not deemed it as disrespectful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

He probably thinks he is the best RB in the NFL or at least that's what his agent tells him. Otherwise he would have easily taken 10 APY and not deemed it as disrespectful.

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Man's averaging 100yds from scrimmage and almost a TD a game over his last 28 played. I'd say that's more then just one season.

This is something I'm sure his agent whispers in his ear to convince him he's worth the money. It's disingenuous to use a per game average when you're talking about a part time player seeking full time superstar best in the league money. He's missed almost 15% of his games since turning pro. That's two and a half games a season on average where the dude is just going to not be available and you will get a zero for him. Very rarely are Divisions decided by more then 2 1/2 games. Will those games make a difference between the playoffs and not? I sure wouldn't want to be paying someone top dollar to gamble on it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

This is something I'm sure his agent whispers in his ear to convince him he's worth the money. It's disingenuous to use a per game average when you're talking about a part time player seeking full time superstar best in the league money. He's missed almost 15% of his games since turning pro. That's two and a half games a season on average where the dude is just going to not be available and you will get a zero for him. Very rarely are Divisions decided by more then 2 1/2 games. Will those games make a difference between the playoffs and not? I sure wouldn't want to be paying someone top dollar to gamble on it. 

Yet I'm sure this logic doesn't apply to Keenan Allen, right? The WR who has played 70 of his possible 96 gms (21%) of his 6 yr NFL career? Same player with 2 more TD in his 70 gm career, then Gordon's last 28?

Funny how that works. The DBL standard in the NFL and even among fans is ridiculous. You pay for production on the field. Otherwise your telling me Gronk didn't deserve any of his pay raises either the past 3 seasons. Anyone suggesting his impact wasn't real or easily replaceable is crazy.

Melvin has 38 TD over the last 3 injury plagued seasons everyone is trying to complain about. 38 in the last 41 gms!! Let that sink in for a minute, 38TD - 41gms.

But hey let's make sure we have 17-20M for Keenan Allen!!👌

Edited by Nabbs4u

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yet I'm sure this logic doesn't apply to Keenan Allen, right? The WR who has played 70 of his possible 96 gms (21%) of his 6 yr NFL career? Same player with 2 more TD in his 70 gm career, then Gordon's last 28?

Funny how that works. The DBL standard in the NFL and even among fans is ridiculous. You pay for production on the field. Otherwise your telling me Gronk didn't deserve any of his pay raises either the past 3 seasons. Anyone suggesting his impact wasn't real or easily replaceable is crazy.

Melvin has 38 TD over the last 3 injury plagued seasons everyone is trying to complain about. 38 in the last 41 gms!! Let that sink in for a minute, 38TD - 41gms.

Keenan is already done. It's Rivers that is top priority right now. QB>Running back.

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No, a team must pay a player on what the team thinks how the player will perform in future years (not in the past) and how big the impact that this player is in the team.If a team pays on what this player has done in the past instead of paying on what this player will do in the future the team will not have much success.

For the TD ... You can not compare the TD of a RB and a WR, it's not the same thing .. A RB normally has more opportunity, especially in the redzone!

Gordon has a very good chance of being a loser in this situation unless there is a trade or the Chargers think he is too important .... If he misses a big part of the training camp, he will have a bad start to the season. (the first month) and his stats will suffer ... If he misses the whole season and the loss of Gordon does not have a negative impact on the Chargers, very possible he will be a player a little forgotten and he will not have the contract he thinks, even on the open market.

There is a big difference between Keenan and Gordon

Keenan had freak injuries. MGIII is consistently nicked up and RBs usually don't get better in that area as they get older. 

On top of that, Keenan is a vastly more important player to their offense then Gordon. You can cite TD numbers all you want, that says little about Gordon's impact and more about the volume and goal line opportunities. To see Keenan's impact on the offense, all you have to do is look at Rivers splits with and without him since 2015. And this isn't just me being biased, I have said for 2-3 years on here that the second most important player on offense was Allen and it isn't even close IMO. 

Edited by game3525

43 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

How many years do you think Rivers has left?  I'm not sure how old he is, but it seems like he has been around a long time.

I think we’re looking at 3 more seasons. Not necessarily productive at the end. Not looking forward to QB Purgatory when he retires. This is year 16 for him. 

10 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I think we’re looking at 3 more seasons. Not necessarily productive at the end. Not looking forward to QB Purgatory when he retires. This is year 16 for him. 

Ok, thanks.  Hopefully, for Chargers fans, you guys can get a championship before he retires.  You definitely have a good enough team right now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

Per an ESPN Insider article that I'm not going to screencap per Webby's wishes, Gordon was offered a contract that would have paid him "between $10m and $11m per year" and he deemed it "disrespectful."  As was the case with the contract offer Le'Veon had received from the Steelers a couple years ago, the issue is guaranteed money; Gordon is using Gurley and David Johnson's recent extensions, which guaranteed upwards of 75-80% of the total contract value, as benchmarks, whereas the Chargers are believed to be seeking closer to 50-60%, roughly a difference in $9-11m in guarantees.  Le'Veon's deal with the Jets only guaranteed 50%.

You're kidding, right?!

I'm absolutely livid to hear we offered anywhere near that!! 10M/year?!

Thank God he turned it down, the man is insane to refuse that and Telesco is crazy to have offered it in the first place!

See you in week 8 Gordon!

16 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Yeah.  It'll be interesting to see.  Neither he or Eli have had anything beyond very minor injury issues their whole pro careers (to the point that until Eli was benched last season so the Giants could "see what they had" in the kid out of Richmond, both were #2 and #1 in terms of NFL Ironmen/Consecutive-Starts, respectively).  Wear and tear is really questionable with the pair of them.  I know people keep claiming to have seen "arm strength" issues with Rivers late in seasons, but he's never exactly had a rocket to begin with; in fact, his 3/4-delivery puts less strain on the shoulder mechanisms and ligaments than a full delivery does.

Rivers will keep playing as long as the Chargers are willing to pay him market rate (at this point it's pretty clear he's not uprooting his family and moving) and his body allows him to.

Depending on how much credit we want to give Telesco's forethought and planning, it would seem like the smartest course of action would be to extend Rivers, make sure everything is sorted out with the core components of the OL moving forward, and then trade multiple 1st's to move up to get Phil's replacement in the window with Rivers has 1-2 years remaining on his contract.  So getting him on a 3-year extension, going hard in the 2020 draft after a successor to Okung, and then making their move in 2021 or 2022 for a QB is likely ideal (which means it's almost for sure not to happen).  Lawrence is the pipe dream, but that's not going to happen.  Prepare yourself for a slew of local media trying to connect the dots between the Chargers and JT Daniels, whether he's worth it or not.