Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

It's all about EPA/efficiency.  In the article, it does point out passing to a RB in 2nd and 10 is better than running the ball on 2nd and 10.  But both are less efficient then a pass to a TE/WR who are going to (typically) gain more yards.  Also, in terms of risk (i.e. turnovers) and incompletions, all of that is taking into account with EPA (as best as a stat can).

Those articles aren't saying eliminate it, but highlighting that 'we need to pass more to our RBs' isn't an ideal strategy, unless you are talking replacing rushing attempts with passing attempts to RBs...

5 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

It's all about EPA/efficiency.  In the article, it does point out passing to a RB in 2nd and 10 is better than running the ball on 2nd and 10.  But both are less efficient then a pass to a TE/WR who are going to (typically) gain more yards.  Also, in terms of risk (i.e. turnovers) and incompletions, all of that is taking into account with EPA (as best as a stat can).

Those articles aren't saying eliminate it, but highlighting that 'we need to pass more to our RBs' isn't an ideal strategy, unless you are talking replacing rushing attempts with passing attempts to RBs...

I think that means that a checkdown to a RB must never be the first or even the second option for a QB ... It's a good idea to pass to the RB only if your WR or TE are not open to avoid a sack or a negative play(including a incomplete pass)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iknowcool said:

That is true about the drops.  However, surely that would be reflective in his yards per reception though, no?  If McCaffrey was getting far more dump-offs than Kamara, it would make sense if Kamara had a better Y/R  by more than a miniscule amount but that isn't the case.  Not to mention McCaffrey had more explosive plays, that is why I am curious as to exactly how many targets and receptions Kamara made while split out wide in comparison to McCaffrey.  I know the article said his EPA was higher, but they don't provide anything else.  And unfortunately you can't access the Atlantic without a subscription.  McCaffrey may not line out wide as much as Kamara, but he does run a lot of routes out of the backfield.  For example (promise I'm not just trying to come at the Saints lol):

McCaffrey runs that angled route a lot, he gets his fair share of dump offs like any RB but I don't think it's as much as being implied.  

But I agree with you, this group is insane with how good they are out of the backfield.  So it's really just splitting hairs, they are both great

That Texas route... it's insane to me that LBs haven't figured out how to stop it yet. When's the last time they saw a RB break outside with that? The second you stop your feet against someone like CMC, you're toast.

59 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Gordon I can understand but Zeke holding out is confusing. He's not even on his option year yet. Literally can be locked up four more years by the Cowboys if they want to. Zeke has even less leverage than Gordon.

I don't understand for Gordon too since he only has one great year(2018)..He was nothing special outside of 2018....And as another said on this thread, if his agent gives no news on Gordon, many will forget that Gordon holding out right now ...

5 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I don't understand for Gordon too since he only has one great year(2018)..He was nothing special outside of 2018....And as another said on this thread, if his agent gives no news on Gordon, many will forget that Gordon holding out right now ...

Gordon's 26, he wants to secure his big career contract before he ages out of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2019 at 10:14 PM, DigInBoys said:

Gordon's 26, he wants to secure his big career contract before he ages out of it.

Plus, what better time to try to lock that contract in...than coming off basically a career year?  His value/ask is only going to go down if he suits up and falls back to something more like his typical previous YPC range.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Probably a Sophomore in High School right now. xD

As long as that sophomore is named Clowney he'll be ready to play....Oh wait. My bad...Too soon?!?

You guys are SB or bust. IF it works out it's a copycat league so...Fire GM's and trade your top talent for peanuts and mortgage your future draft picks for a player that will start a revolt in another teams locker room...

On 8/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, BayRaider said:

Gordon I can understand but Zeke holding out is confusing. He's not even on his option year yet. Literally can be locked up four more years by the Cowboys if they want to. Zeke has even less leverage than Gordon.

What you are saying about DAL being able to lock him up for another 4 years is exactly why Zeke is holding out now.  The system is broken when it comes to the elite rookies RB who come into the league and are immediately among the best at their position.  Five years of being underpaid on his rookie deal, then two 1-year deals on the F tag.  By the time he'd hit the open market, Zeke would be will into the back end of his career.  Barkley is looking at exactly the same scenario, and would be well advised to hold out after this season if he has another monster year, but I think there is a rule that prevents a team from re-doing a deal until there is only one year remaining.

Edited by Mazrimiv

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What you are saying about DAL being able to lock him up for another 4 years is exactly why Zeke is holding out now.  The system is broken when it comes to the elite rookies RB who come into the league and are immediately among the best at their position.  Five years of being underpaid on his rookie deal, then two 1-year deals on the F tag.  By the time he'd hit the open market, Zeke would be will into the back end of his career.  Barkley is looking at exactly the same scenario, and would be well advised to hold out after this season if he has another monster year, but I think there is a rule that prevents a team from re-doing a deal until there is only one year remaining.

I wouldnt say that 5 year $35 mil is ridiculously underpaid.  Also, what if Zeke were a bust.  Cowboys would have been stuck with 4 years $25 mil all guaranteed. That said, they should just get rid of the franchise tag.