Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

This is the stance teams NEED to take. It didnt work out financially for Bell. RBs just arent a valuable position in today's league. 

Its all about who the RB is though. Bell had some injury issues AND off field issues while Gordon/Zeke had 1 but not the other.

Gordon isn't some elite level RB. Fantasy football has made Gordon into something that he isn't in real life.

He has injury issues that likely wont go away with more wear and tear, they have a QB that has proven to get it done when he isn't on the field. Does Gordon make them better? Sure of course he does, he is still talented but he simply isn't worth a massive contract. 

I know Zeke has off field issues but at least he is an elite level RB and the issues he has aren't out of his control(although some might think he cant help himself)

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

It's supposed to be a 2020 5th and 2021 1st, or a 2020 1st outright.

I mean, sure, the Chargers can ask...but good luck there.

The only way the Chargers sniff a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st - is if they have a suitor who's desperate for RB, and cash-strapped - so the Chargers can absorb a good chunk of the 5.6M option this year, and any bonus money in a sign-and-deal extension (which no doubt MG3's agent is also looking for, not just a trade partner).   Now, you may say that the Chargers only have 3-4M left in cap space, but they have 60M+ for next year, so they can always restructure a deal like Rivers or Keenan Allen, and make more $ to make this deal work.

If the Chargers can't get a buyer to get MG3 to lock himself in, honestly they'd be lucky to get a Day 2 pick, if it's a 1-year rental.  Of course, if HOU was interested, they'd be the one team that could overpay, but the only match I really see is Tampa (who is 25K under the cap, lol wow).   Getting creative and having LAC take the 2019 cap hit and taking back a bad TAM player (Ronald Jones anyone) to make the $ work, could be the only scenario I see working.   Otherwise, I think MG3 better settle himself in, and hope a team becomes incredibly RB-needy, and considers themself enough of a contender they'd pay even a Day 2 pick.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I mean, sure, the Chargers can ask...but good luck there.

The only way the Chargers sniff a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st - is if they have a suitor who's desperate for RB, and cash-strapped - so the Chargers can absorb a good chunk of the 5.6M option this year, and any bonus money in a sign-and-deal extension (which no doubt MG3's agent is also looking for, not just a trade partner).   Now, you may say that the Chargers only have 3-4M left in cap space, but they have 60M+ for next year, so they can always restructure a deal like Rivers or Keenan Allen, and make more $ to make this deal work.

If the Chargers can't get a buyer to get MG3 to lock himself in, honestly they'd be lucky to get a Day 2 pick, if it's a 1-year rental.  Of course, if HOU was interested, they'd be the one team that could overpay, but the only match I really see is Tampa (who is 25K under the cap, lol wow).   Getting creative and having LAC take the 2019 cap hit and taking back a bad TAM player (Ronald Jones anyone) to make the $ work, could be the only scenario I see working.   Otherwise, I think MG3 better settle himself in, and hope a team becomes incredibly RB-needy, and considers themself enough of a contender they'd pay even a Day 2 pick.

But that's the point though. Ask as high as possible and see if anyone will meet them halfway. Right now Gordon is more valuable to them on the team, just not for his asking price. So if a team is willing to give them a good draft pick, then he's gone IMO. But realistically, no one is going to trade for him and give him his $13million a year. Ultimately, I think he returns by week 8 to get his accrued season, helps the Chargers towards the latter half of the season without the wear and tear, and leaves in FA where hopefully the Chargers get a comp pick the following year.

Also Rivers is currently on his last year. We can't be wasting money on a RB like Gordon when Rivers, Bosa, King, Henry, etc. all need to be extended. 2020 is also the last year of Keenan and Ingram's current contracts.

Hate seeing this happen. Big MGIII fan since he's a Badger, but I just don't feel like he has any real leg to stand on here. Yes, Chargers ownership is an absolute joke and at the end of the day some sort of ugly holdout likely would have been the end result, but at least play out your 1st 4 years. Then again, MGIII and his team are not dumb, they know as an RB he is as valuable as ever right at this moment and will only lose value with each carry.

I don't see it happening, but some sort of special provision for RBs should be built into the CBA. Maybe only 1st round RBs? Either way, have their set contract only like 2 years, then from there let the franchise be able to lock them up an extra 2-3 years (so all in all they can control that player for 5 years min, like everyone else), but have them paid what they deserve for years 3+... I don't know, complicated issue, sure much better solutions have been brain stormed but this is the direction I think we need to go.

On 01/09/2019 at 1:17 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

So the hardball move it is then.  Seems like that's where the 'Boys are going with Zeke too.

Will be interesting to see if Lev Bell has set a new precedent in the way top RBs approach contracts and team control.  Have to think some of how it pans out, will depend on just how good/bad Bell looks coming off his "rest year" and how it impacts his ability and durability going forward.