Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

22 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/185446/post-brandon-lafell-debacle-the-nfls-all-hands-team

Don't know why you feel the need to be so antagonistic but there’s the article. Keep up the insults though. 

Looks at article. Sees that date is 2015, Melvin Gordon's rookie season. Thanks for proving my point Boltstrikes.

See, I don't like it when someone who supposedly follows the Chargers makes false statements. I'm willing to let it go at a certain point but when I throw facts at them and they still make false statements, that's when I give them some tough love.

Okay, let me try a different example since the LT one didn't register with you for some reason. You saying Gordon has fumbling issues or ball security issues is like saying Melvin Ingram is injury prone. Does that make sense now?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, Shanedorf said:

Indeed, but there is one more piece of leverage to consider Tetsujin,  and that's the LA market.
Chargers are without an avid local fan base and are trying to win over the LA fans. Getting into a pissing contest with Gordon won't help from a PR POV.
Rams paid their stars, Chargers need to do the same. Its a minor issue for most teams, but for the home-less Chargers it might carry some weight.
They don't want Bosa 2.0

Rams paid their stars because they have a QB on a rookie contract. With that being said, the Chargers have paid their stars ie. Keenan Allen, Casey Hayward, Melvin Ingram, etc. Gordon just isn't one of them IMO and it would be a bad move on their part to extend someone who plays a fungible position that hasn't been consistently healthy.

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

Pretty much

Agreed 100% until mentioning Leveon Bell...

He sat out an entire year

Made it known he wants ridiculous money(dont think Gordon expects anything close, he just wants a raise and some security)

Was a major tool the entire time, Steelers and several other teams care about the locker room headache he was causing

Has his own injury problems, although he has been very healthy of late

Had roughly 500 more touches than Gordon in the regular season

Has been suspended at least once for substances which would get way worse if it happened again

For what its worth he has come out and said that he would prefer to stay with the Chargers as they're the team that drafted him and gave him an opportunity.

He knows how limited an RB's career can be so just wants to be secure going into another season.

At the moment it all seems rather cordial so wouldn't expect any major movement yet, but as the season grows closer tensions will inevitably rise. 

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

Looks at article. Sees that date is 2015, Melvin Gordon's rookie season. Thanks for proving my point Boltstrikes.

See, I don't like it when someone who supposedly follows the Chargers makes false statements. I'm willing to let it go at a certain point but when I throw facts at them and they still make false statements, that's when I give them some tough love.

Okay, let me try a different example since the LT one didn't register with you for some reason. You saying Gordon has fumbling issues or ball security issues is like saying Melvin Ingram is injury prone. Does that make sense now?

Invincible ignorance and ad hominem attacks are your version of tough love. Already proved your ball security to LT comparison wrong.

On a fumbles per touch basis, the difference between LT and Gordon is a bit less then the difference between Gordon & Charles, Sproles or Tiki Barber. 

You’ve presented no new information. Now you’re resorting to the red herring. 

Edited by Boltstrikes

4 hours ago, PFM18 said:

For what its worth he has come out and said that he would prefer to stay with the Chargers as they're the team that drafted him and gave him an opportunity.

He knows how limited an RB's career can be so just wants to be secure going into another season.

At the moment it all seems rather cordial so wouldn't expect any major movement yet, but as the season grows closer tensions will inevitably rise. 

For what its worth, that's what almost everyone says. It paints the team in a bad light that way and the fans are more likely to be upset with the team that way. If he came out and threw shade at the whole franchise, the fanbase would stand behind the team and be excited for anything they got in a trade because "they had no choice" because he didn't want to be there

43 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

For what its worth, that's what almost everyone says. It paints the team in a bad light that way and the fans are more likely to be upset with the team that way. If he came out and threw shade at the whole franchise, the fanbase would stand behind the team and be excited for anything they got in a trade because "they had no choice" because he didn't want to be there

I don't feel Gordon's the caliber of player the fanbase would get too upset over though.

Sure its great to have a talented running back in your team, but unless you're elite like Saquon or Zeke, you're not going to have the whole fanbase clamoring for your return when in contract dispute within the team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFM18 said:

I don't feel Gordon's the caliber of player the fanbase would get too upset over though.

Sure its great to have a talented running back in your team, but unless you're elite like Saquon or Zeke, you're not going to have the whole fanbase clamoring for your return when in contract dispute within the team. 

I think they are smart enough to know the window isnt getting bigger for them, its getting smaller. Rivers is still playing at a high level but eventually you’d expect him to tail off. I think at the very least a 2 year extension and a pay raise can make both sides happy. Losing Melvin doesnt help an already win-now type of team

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed 100% until mentioning Leveon Bell...

He sat out an entire year

Made it known he wants ridiculous money(dont think Gordon expects anything close, he just wants a raise and some security)

Was a major tool the entire time, Steelers and several other teams care about the locker room headache he was causing

Has his own injury problems, although he has been very healthy of late

Had roughly 500 more touches than Gordon in the regular season

Has been suspended at least once for substances which would get way worse if it happened again

We're not exactly sure what Gordon wants. I hear a lot of rumors like Gurley money (which if true is ridiculous on his part). Bell, as you stated, is a bad example for all those reasons. I guess the point Brandt was making was how even a premiere player like Bell (outside of those issues you mentioned) had problems. Gordon is nowhere near the RB caliber that Bell was.

11 hours ago, PFM18 said:

I get that part and I do feel bad for him since he's a good guy and I like how he has improved each season since he's been in the league. He just plays a devalued position and the Chargers have more important players like Bosa, Rivers, and Henry coming up for contracts. The best thing is really for the Bolts to trade him to another team that can afford him like the Colts (after Week 1 of course).

11 hours ago, Xenos said:

I get that part and I do feel bad for him since he's a good guy and I like how he has improved each season since he's been in the league. He just plays a devalued position and the Chargers have more important players like Bosa, Rivers, and Henry coming up for contracts. The best thing is really for the Bolts to trade him to another team that can afford him like the Colts (after Week 1 of course).

I would have been interested in having Gordon at the Colts but think the fact that we had no interest in signing Bell means we're happy with Marlon Mack.

And Mack does do a good job so unless Gordon becomes available for a decent price/contract, we won't go for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PFM18 said:

I would have been interested in having Gordon at the Colts but think the fact that we had no interest in signing Bell means we're happy with Marlon Mack.

And Mack does do a good job so unless Gordon becomes available for a decent price/contract, we won't go for him.

Then ideally Gordon just plays out his contract this season with the Chargers and leave in FA the following year where he gets his money.

Gordon's smart move is to sit out 10 games and hit FA.  The Market can then decide.  Gordon's fear would be a James Conner type situation where his production is easily replaced.  I do not know the Charger's offense to say if that is possible.  Conner in Pittsburgh just showed that the system works.

IMHO, the Chargers will not trade him for many of the reasons given in this thread.  Unless a team tosses a 2nd round pick at them.  Teams tend to overvalue their draft picks so I just do not see it happening.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:13 AM, Boltstrikes said:

Invincible ignorance and ad hominem attacks are your version of tough love. Already proved your ball security to LT comparison wrong.

On a fumbles per touch basis, the difference between LT and Gordon is a bit less then the difference between Gordon & Charles, Sproles or Tiki Barber. 

You’ve presented no new information. Now you’re resorting to the red herring. 

Not sure where the confusion is coming from on your part. You incorrectly stated that Gordon had a fumbling problem and based it solely on his rookie season. I provided facts showing that he hasn't had a fumbling problem since his rookie season. Big difference between 4 fumbles in 98 touches and 4 fumbles in 862 touches. Since you didn't understand my LT comparison, I tried to make it easier for you to understand by using Melvin Ingram as an example instead. Maybe you're the one with invincible ignorance.