Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

Gordon has no leverage and it could end very badly for him .... It's not a smart gamble and could lose a lot of million because of it.

Gordon does not have the reputation Bell had and several media said in March (like Joel Corry, a former agent)it was not a financial win for Bell, even if he was on the open market.Gordon had only one big season in his career (last year) so I do not think he's going to have a huge contract even on the open market.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Gordon has no leverage and it could end very badly for him .... It's not a smart gamble and could lose a lot of million because of it.

Gordon does not have the reputation Bell had and several media said in March (like Joel Corry, a former agent)it was not a financial win for Bell, even if he was on the open market.Gordon had only one big season in his career (last year) so I do not think he's going to have a huge contract even on the open market.

30k a day adds up quick he could lose almost a million a month.  He’s set to make almost 6 million this year. He isn’t underpaid. He’s had like you said one good year. One year he played all 16 games. Never been the bell cow, he’s always split time. He has revealed the Chargers intentions to let him walk next season. That’s about all the leverage he has. I don’t see how this helps him at all. His best play is to play and earn a big deal elsewhere. He’s a good player but by no means is he a superstar player in this league. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Agreed. Really don't understand it. 

Per an ESPN Insider article that I'm not going to screencap per Webby's wishes, Gordon was offered a contract that would have paid him "between $10m and $11m per year" and he deemed it "disrespectful."  As was the case with the contract offer Le'Veon had received from the Steelers a couple years ago, the issue is guaranteed money; Gordon is using Gurley and David Johnson's recent extensions, which guaranteed upwards of 75-80% of the total contract value, as benchmarks, whereas the Chargers are believed to be seeking closer to 50-60%, roughly a difference in $9-11m in guarantees.  Le'Veon's deal with the Jets only guaranteed 50%.

• Like 2

Just now, The LBC said:

Per an ESPN Insider article that I'm not going to screencap per Webby's wishes, Gordon was offered a contract that would have paid him "between $10m and $11m per year" and he deemed it "disrespectful."  As was the case with the contract offer Le'Veon had received from the Steelers a couple years ago, the issue is guaranteed money; Gordon is using Gurley and David Johnson's recent extensions, which guaranteed upwards of 75-80% of the total contract value, as benchmarks, whereas the Chargers are believed to be seeking closer to 50-60%, roughly a difference in $9-11m in guarantees.  Le'Veon's deal with the Jets only guaranteed 50%.

if that is even remotely true Gordon is completely out of his mind.

• Like 2

Just now, SBLIII said:

if that is even remotely true Gordon is completely out of his mind.

It's become pretty clear that he's been gassed up by his agent (not all that rare an occurrence to be honest) as to what "he deserves" because he was drafted highly, remained loyal, and kept his nose clean (the likely reason being used to try and justify him being "above" Le'Veon's guarantees).  The problem is, while he's been quite productive, his performance hasn't been comparable to Johnson's, let alone Gurley's and Le'Veon's (when Le'Veon was actually on the field to play).  Clear case of wanting to have his cake and eat it too, while not having the leverage to make such a demand.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don’t see paying him 10-11m per being in the best interest of chasing a Championship. I have not seen 11m worth of production. If that was the team offer I already feel it was too high and calculated against a rising cap number. If there was no cap then by all means pay the dude the money but with a cap and needing to extend Rivers or risk QB purgatory if he retires, making a run at keeping Bosa, extending Williams coming up in future years... Gordon just isn’t vital to the success of the team. Evidenced by his frequent absence due to injury. 

25 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t see paying him 10-11m per being in the best interest of chasing a Championship. I have not seen 11m worth of production. If that was the team offer I already feel it was too high and calculated against a rising cap number. If there was no cap then by all means pay the dude the money but with a cap and needing to extend Rivers or risk QB purgatory if he retires, making a run at keeping Bosa, extending Williams coming up in future years... Gordon just isn’t vital to the success of the team. Evidenced by his frequent absence due to injury. 

If we figure, roughly, a 4/$44m extension that would mean that 50% (likely what the team would be tabling if they're offering that amount of APY) guarantees would be up by the 2022 offseason.  It's doable - good GM's and financial guys can find ways to move monies around to create cap-space as needed.  I don't imagine Spanos is too keen on popping the kind of money it would take to meet Gordon's desired guarantees-threshold into an escrow account, with Rivers/Bosa's extensions looming, when - quite frankly - both of those two stand to recoup ownership more in terms of draw.

59 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Agreed. 

Besides the players you mentioned, Keenan is also going to need a new contract soon. IMO, he is the second most important player on the offense and legitimate difference maker (not a key cog like MGIII is).

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Ridiculous!

And we must not forget in Bell's situation is that only one team (Jets) were ready to give a contract like that in March to Bell and 2 months later, this GM was fired ... I not said that this GM was fired because of this contract, but if he would have been fired after the season instead in march, this is possible that Bell would have had a worse contract (compared to what the steelers offered in 2017 and 2018)

I do not think Gordon will be lucky as Bell if he does not play in 2019, especially since Bell was a much better player than Gordon right now.

Without knowing the language in the "supposed" contract offer listed above in that article, You can't say what he will or won't make.

Is it an extension added into the current contract? So that 4-40M with say 20M guaranteed (50%) on top of this year's contract means he's basically only guaranteed 24M over the next 3yrs. He will never see all 5, making that 8M per before he undoubtedly is discarded like yesterdays trash after 3 seasons!

The total and yearly average number means absolutely nothing in NFL contracts because they are written on toliet paper. Only the guaranteed number matters! Hence why he is and should be holding out.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Without knowing the language in the "supposed" contract offer listed above in that article, You can't say what he will or won't make.

Is it an extension added into the current contract? So that 4-40M with say 20M guaranteed (50%) on top of this year's contract means he's basically only guaranteed 24M over the next 3yrs. He will never see all 5, making that 8M per before he undoubtedly is discarded like yesterdays trash after 3 seasons!

The total and yearly average number means absolutely nothing in NFL contracts because they are written on toliet paper. Only the guaranteed number matters! Hence why he is and should be holding out.

The problem, he could lose a lot of money if his holdout is very long...Gordon is not a super star right now .... only one great season in 4 years.