Bucs CB Ryan Smith suspended 4 games for PEDs

TheKillerNacho

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/sports/2019/07/11/buccaneers-cb-ryan-smith-suspended-four-games-for-ped-use

Ryan Smith was a relatively large part of the Bucs secondary the last two seasons; as  he played in 31 games, starting 16 of them. He totaled 100 tackles, three forced fumbles, and an interception in that span. The Bucs did draft two CBs in the first three rounds, however, in Sean Bunting and Jamel Dean and also have Carlton Davis and M.J. Stewart from last year, which will help cushion the blow a bit.

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Sean Bunting and Jamel Dean and also have Carlton Davis and M.J. Stewart

So who do you expect to be the projected starters barring injury by yearend? I'm going to say Dean definitely starts, and Bunting earns a the other outside corner spot. Stewart, Davis, and Vernon Hargreaves will battle it out with Davis.

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

So who do you expect to be the projected starters barring injury by yearend? I'm going to say Dean definitely starts, and Bunting earns a the other outside corner spot. Stewart, Davis, and Vernon Hargreaves will battle it out with Davis.

If anyone is a lock barring injury I'd say its Davis.

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Davis and VHIII are our starting outside CBs right now. The slot is wide open.

Ryan Smith is an exceptional gunner on special teams. But he's been rough at CB. Granted, everyone was in our lax, seven yards off the LOS scheme. Bowles' super aggressive defense seems to fit all our CBs better. 

26 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Davis and VHIII are our starting outside CBs right now. The slot is wide open.

Right now, but by the end of the season I think the rooks take-over.

Hargreaves is okay outside, but isn't he possibly getting pushed inside?

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Right now, but by the end of the season I think the rooks take-over.

Hargreaves is okay outside, but isn't he possibly getting pushed inside?

its hard to say with Hargreaves. Obviously he's been better in the slot thus far but the Bucs are finally going to let him be a man-to-man press corner on the outside as opposed to an off corner so this may allow him to finally live up to his potential on the outside.

• Like 1

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

its hard to say with Hargreaves. Obviously he's been better in the slot thus far but the Bucs are finally going to let him be a man-to-man press corner on the outside as opposed to an off corner so this may allow him to finally live up to his potential on the outside.

He will do much better and the Buccs should be better for it with Hargreaves playing HIS ACTUAL GAME. Some coaches man... 🙄

12 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

right but that isnt sayin much i guess im trying to get at compared to now wii bunting and dean

Murphy-Bunting and Dean lead the team in INTs during OTAs. They're definitely fighting for starting spots and may take them.

21 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Murphy-Bunting and Dean lead the team in INTs during OTAs. They're definitely fighting for starting spots and may take them.

That's what I was trying to say. Bunting and Dean add a lot of competition compared to last season. So, saying Carlton Davis was the best corner is less impressive because no other corner on the 2018 Buccaneers was very good. I said in a previous post I see the two rookies ending the season as starters.

Edited by DoleINGout

Just now, DoleINGout said:

That's what I was trying to say. Bunting and Dean add a lot of competition whereas last saying Carlton Davis was the best corner is less impressive because no one else on the Buccaneers at the time was good.

Davis flashed a ton of potential though. Even in a terrible scheme. It's not like he's bad. He's a press man CB and we played in him an off zone defense.

Dean and SMB are both freaks athletically. And they're tall and long. Davis has his work cut out for him if he wants to remain a starter.