Slay and Snacks

dll2000

8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

This is true, but that front would be sooooo tremendous. I am not avocating for this.. However, with the way Patricia uses his safties coupled with the depth and versatility we have in that spot, they could probably run with Coleman and Melvin be fine. Obviously the game plan changes a great deal because you dont have the ability to all but eliminate the best receiver, but that front with Patrcia's ability to coach defense would cover up a lot of deficiencies to be sure.

We could probably work out a trade for Clowney while still retaining Snacks and Slay. If we do go that route, we're pretty locked into that roster and would struggle with any significant injury. The trade cost would also be problematic.

Using the Grady Jarrett extension as a framework (Jarrett averaged $17M/year, I've grossed this up to $20M for Clowney)

2019 - $13M Cap Hit = $10M of cap space

2020 - $19M Cap Hit = $2M of cap space (A'Shawn and Glasgow are up for new contracts but we'd be very tight against the cap here)

2021 - $22M Cap Hit = $61M of cap space (FA's include Slay, Snacks, J. Davis, Kenny G and Decker)

2022 - $26M Cap Hit (So much could change between now and 2022, that I won't touch this too much)

We're also throwing in at least a 2020 1st and probably a 2021 1st as well. For anyone that is anti-Stafford, this would lock him in as our QB until 2022. I'm a big fan of his but it does limit options.

Just saw that. This is my preference. We will probably see their contracts reworked to include more guranteed cash. I am personally not concerned that this may set a bad example because not every player is as good as they are. I understand that Bill B wouldnt entertain this, but Quinn/Patricia are their own men and need to be sure to forge their own path.

3 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Just saw that. This is my preference. We will probably see their contracts reworked to include more guranteed cash. I am personally not concerned that this may set a bad example because not every player is as good as they are. I understand that Bill B wouldnt entertain this, but Quinn/Patricia are their own men and need to be sure to forge their own path.

You're right, they do have to follow their own path. They also don't have the rope that BB has to take a hard line position. They need to be in the playoffs or at least in the running in order to be sticking around next season. Anything less than 6-10 (and probably 8-8) is going to turn that hot seat up higher and higher.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You're right, they do have to follow their own path. They also don't have the rope that BB has to take a hard line position. They need to be in the playoffs or at least in the running in order to be sticking around next season. Anything less than 6-10 (and probably 8-8) is going to turn that hot seat up higher and higher.

Agreed. I personally feel our roster is certainly good enough with Snacks and Slay to make a run at the Division title.. We need them though.

51 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Agreed. I personally feel our roster is certainly good enough with Snacks and Slay to make a run at the Division title.. We need them though.

The roster has its holes and we have a few unproven pieces. If things come together and the young guys step up, we can compete for the division. Golladay needs to become an elite NFL WR, Walker has to be able to fill Quin's shoes, Hand and Robinson need to continue their upward trend, Flowers just needs to be the same guy as he was in NE and Okwara needs to be a complimentary #2.

41 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Win the division! Based off what? Assumed/hope's of gaining skills from slightly above average players?...

Everyone Lions fan mentioning more than 8 wins...

giphy.gif

We went 6-10 last year. I think that our roster is better than last year at most positions. We're in a very difficult division but a lot can happen. I expect to see another 6-10 season and it might not even be a fault of their own. The schedule is a factor and we have a very difficult start. However, there is also a chance that we are better than most expect. In a tough division, it's not impossible to see the division champ at 9-7 or 10-6. If the Packers struggle with the coaching change, the Bears regress and/or the Vikings don't get what they need from Cousins then things are wide open.

Patricia has had a full off-season, we've added guys like Flowers and Coleman to shore up key positions and we'll have Snacks in the lineup as of week 1 as opposed to week 6.

I'm objective - I can see how/why Patricia struggled in his first year after coming off a SB and being thrust into the off-season. This is now the time to see whether he can sink of swim. If we're back to 6-10 or 7-9, the Lions will probably be quick to move along with another slow start in 2020. If they're at 8-8 or better, there's going to be some more time to see the plan through.

I tell you what, adding Daniels is actually a really nice move. 1 year deal. Motivated for another contract. Dline is surprisingly deep up the middle. Should help the LB's and boys outside. I'm slowly seeing the vision on defense and raising an eyebrow cause it was improving last year and added peieces this year.

Still worried about the offense, yeah we added TE's and RB's. But, Not happy with the WR additions really(just personally) and definately not satisfied with the biggest need I seen going into the offseason outside of pass rusher.... RG. Total question mark at RG right now, a collaspe of the OLine imo can ruin our whole season.

But the defense for sure is shaping up, it'll be a tough one to play against week in and out for almost every team in the league it seems. The run defense, with my mid season review(lol), should be like a top 5 run defense.

I think 8-8 is the line. Coach needs 8-8 with his dudes, etc, to show progress. We need to see progress in wins. I don't want a "competitive team" that goes 6-10/ 4-12. 

I've sworn to not watch these guys though till mid season to see if they deserve my attention/ratings. lol. But if they're in the hunt mid season I'll be tuning back in, if not, I'll tune in during the off-season.