Pre-Camp 53

Dcash4

Welp, its about that time, so why not argue about fringe players!

QB: Ben, Dobbs, Mason
RB: Connor, Samuels, Snell
FB: Nix
WR: JuJu, Washington, Moncreif, Johnson, Switz, Jones
TE: McDonald, Gimble, Gentry
T: Villy, Fieler, Chick, Banner
G: Foster, Decastro, Finney, Hawkins
C: Pouncey

DE: Heyward, Tuitt, Tyson, Buggs
NT: Hargrave, McCullers
OLB: TJ, Dupree, Ola, Chicki, Smith
ILB: William, Bush, Barron, Matakevich
CB: Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Layne, Burns
S: Davis, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Allen, Locke

K: Boswell
P: Berry
LS: Canaday

PS: Edmunds, Gilbert, Hooks, Radar, Kelly, Spencer, Skipper, Gray, Askew-Henry, Someone not currently on the team, CSW (international extra)

Underline represents Week 1 inactive. Explanation of some to follow. I probably missed someone extremely obvious. Tear it up. 

Edited by Dcash4

- Kept TJ Jones to play the DHB role over someone like Rogers. Just too redundant at this point. I think Roger is a better receiver than Switz, but taking Ryan because he can start off as the returner. 

- I think the backend of the OL is going to be interesting and largely dependent on who wins the RT position. Right now, Ill take Hawkins for some feel goods. 

- Only keeping 3 TEs, one of which is Gentry. Im not super thrilled about this, but I did the exercise before on looking through other rosters for a TE. Its, also, not super thrilling. My personal plan would be more Rosie and more tackle TE's. 

- Keeping Matakevich at this point because he is a known STer vs an unknown STer in Gilbert. If Ulysses even looks capable of that role through camp and pre-season, Ill probably swap. 

- Burns over Sutton. I like that Burns is owning trying to make this team. Sutton has never done enough. Give me Burns as a STer and a guy that seems like he is itching to stay in the league. 

- Safety? I dont know. Locke seems fun. 

- I get the feeling we are going to be deep diving for a TE, DL, or Safety as our new annual training camp trade. 

- As far as inactives: Johnson sits because I have Switz being week 1 returner, Gentry because I think you can get away with 2 TEs, Layne is just a numbers game, and Allen because I dont particularly like him. 

- Im not extremely thrilled about my special teams at this moment. 

I'll give my take based on absolutely nothing.  Changes in bold

QB: Ben, Dobbs, Mason
WR: JuJu, Washington, Moncreif, Johnson, Switz, Griffey
TE: McDonald, Gimble, FA signing
T: Villy, Fieler, Chick, Hawkins
G: Foster, Decastro, Finney, Morris

DE: Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs
OLB: TJ, Dupree, Ola, Chicki,
ILB: William, Bush, Barron, Matakevich, Smith
CB: Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Layne, Burns,
S: Davis, Edmunds, Allen, Sutton

• I can't get rid of Matakevich becasue he is the only backup to VWill. 
  • I can't believe I am forced to keep Buggs. Sayles or Conor or Watson might beat him out
  • It was between Hawkins and Grey for the last OT spot.
  • Can't believe I am forced to keep Burns
  • PS Gentry, Brumfield, Prince Edmunds, T. Jones, Gilbert, Locke,S. Conor
  • I am not sure where to put Smith Sutton but I am sure he will make the roster unless injury
  • I am missing one defensive player that I need to think about ( meaning I have no idea)
  • Like 2

I'll play; changes in bold.

QB: Ben, Rudolph, Dobbs? -- I'll be disappointed if Mason does not earn #2. I believe he will be given every opportunity to earn it. I think Dobbs might be traded or given early release to catch on with another team. I think Hodges is PS.
WR: JuJu, Washington, Moncreif, Johnson, Switz, Rogers -- Just a hunch that I think they'll keep both Switzer and Rogers as proven guys.
TE: McDonald, Gimble, FA -- I don't know about Gentry. I think he will be PS to start the year if they can find someone's cast off. 
T: Villy, Fieler, Chick, Banner
G: Foster, Decastro, Finney, Hawkins

DE: Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs -- I think you meant Alualu right?
OLB: TJ, Dupree, Ola, Chicki, Smith -- If Sutton Smith makes the squad he will be a ST starter, I believe.
ILB: William, Bush, Barron, Matakevich
CB: Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Layne, Burns -- Really want to cut Burns, but not seeing how yet.
S: Davis, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Allen, Locke

34 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I think you meant Alualu right?

Yup. His first name is Tyson, and I really didn’t feel like googling the correct spelling of his last name. I was lazy. 

35 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Rogers -- Just a hunch that I think they'll keep both Switzer and Rogers as proven guys.

I just don’t see it. Well, at least how you keep both Rogers and Switz while having JuJu, Washington, Johnson and both of them via for slot snaps. Just too much repetitiveness for me. That and it leaves no one to play special teams out of that position. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I just don’t see it. Well, at least how you keep both Rogers and Switz while having JuJu, Washington, Johnson and both of them via for slot snaps. Just too much repetitiveness for me. That and it leaves no one to play special teams out of that position. 

Switzer, Rogers, Washington, and the rookie (if he dresses) will all play STs. The other guys in camp are really not worth mentioning IMO.

I should note, I didn’t attempt to put them in any sort of depth chart order...but they probably are just by default of how I thought of them. I just didn’t put any real thought into it. 

Like Mason vs Dobbs. I expect Mason to be the backup at some point at least. But I was probably too lazy to think about it when selecting Mason as the inactive. Just went with the third guy in line because we will only have two on gameday. 

6 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Switzer, Rogers, Washington, and the rookie (if he dresses) will all play STs. The other guys in camp are really not worth mentioning IMO.

Washington played 11 ST snaps last year. Granted, someone has to take over the DHB role, but I don’t see Washington being that guy - especially because he is probably our 2nd or 3rd receiver. 

Johnson I’m unsure about. I don’t see him as a gunner, but maybe. Griffey and Jones both looked good in that role and both are different than the rest of the crop. 

Switzer and Rogers are both returners only, With Rogers specifically being only punts. 

With Switz, Rogers, and Johnson all bring returners, all being smaller build route runners, all most likely playing in the slot (where JuJu already stands to get a ton of snaps), I just don’t see the need for all three. 

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Burns over Sutton. I like that Burns is owning trying to make this team.

this is strange, as I thought thats what pro athletes get paid for. Burns failed, and is probably not making it. 

OLB Smith on the team or PS, but I expect him to contribute somehow.

Burns for ST only, if there is such a thing.

Not sure what to make of this team and FO  right now, but I expect a better team than last year and less BS. Fans should have a better season anyways, 2 months from now:$

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Burns shouldn't be anything more than the #6 CB even if he makes the team

Why? After the top 3 and just blindly assuming that Layne is the 4th, who is so immediately better than Burns that he couldn’t even be considered as the 5th guy - who is primarily on the team to play special teams? 

Are Sutton, Allen, or any of the rest of nobodies head and shoulders better than Burns? 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Why? After the top 3 and just blindly assuming that Layne is the 4th, who is so immediately better than Burns that he couldn’t even be considered as the 5th guy - who is primarily on the team to play special teams? 

Are Sutton, Allen, or any of the rest of nobodies head and shoulders better than Burns? 

Yes. Sutton has shown at the very least more potential than Burns. Allen, we don't really know what he is but we DO know what Burns is and is not. Burns is a terrible player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Sutton has shown at the very least more potential than Burns

When? He couldn’t beat out Coty Sensebaugh and couldn’t fill in as any sort of long term option with a group of DBs who severely lacked talent outside of Haden. 

Flat out I don’t believe your line at all. Burns has SHOWN more potential than Sutton. Burns has a year plus of pretty good football. It’s just that when Burns is bad he had been really bad and never broken out of the funk. Sutton couldn’t sniff the field when we desperately needed playmakers, had an extremely limited Sensebaugh as the number 2 and a hurt and under performing Hilton. That doesn’t lead me to believe that dude has a ton of potential.

Potential it’s Burns > Sutton. The only thing you can sell Suttons potential on is the unknown, but from the snaps he DOESNT get with what I would consider plentiful opportunity, I’d heavily lean against believing he has any. 

If you want to tell me from just a net performance (weighing his good against his bad) it’s sutton > Burns, I guess I might agree. However, one has significantly less tape than the other. Even then, we are not talking a pro bowler and a cut line player, they are both on the cusp of hanging on in the league - their margin is razor thin. 

Thats the piece I don’t get. Burns is a failed 1st rounder, and played horribly last year. But Sutton’s never shown enough to get more chances and Allen barely hangs onto the roster - if it wasn’t for his gunners skills he wouldn’t be in the NFL. So how is it so heavily tilted towards those guys that Burns couldn’t even sniff the 5th spot? 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

Sutton has shown potential and need for improvement. He has shown at least some ability to play safety. But he has proven to be a prospect.

Burns started his career very good and it's been all down hill since. While it's not impossible the he turns it around I think it's extremely unrealistic to think that happens.

I WANT Burns to become the man we drafted him to be, I don't believe he will be.

Justin Layne might be unproven but he will get, imo, more opportunities than Burns this season. Nelson and Haden are automatically in front of him and Hilton should be too