Pre-Camp 53

Dcash4

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Sutton has shown potential

Honestly, when? He has one game starting against the Patriots where he more or less just did his job. Outside of that, he doesn’t have a bunch of career marks. The games he played in and started last year were not great. I know Burns has made plays on the football, I know he has covered good receivers. I have no clue what Sutton has ever done. He falls in with what I call “Backup Qb syndrome”. You think he is the better option just because he is the next option — that doesn’t make him better, it just makes him different. 

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He has shown at least some ability to play safety

No...no he hasn’t. There is a gigantic difference between articles stating Sutton could be a back up safety and an actuality of Sutton being able to play safety. I understand he has taken SOME snaps there in camp/practice - but have we seen him play NFL Sunday level safety? No, we haven’t, so it’s an erroneous statement to make.

That’s a pretty good Segway into why I’ll have this argument. You THINK Sutton is a better option because you want him to be- and that’s fine. But there is nothing in 2 years that’s shows he IS. That’s my issue with the “Artie Burns is at best the 6th CB”. There is no one on this roster that flat out deserves that spot more. Sutton, Burns, and Allen are all AT LEAST on equal footing for it. Any of them can take it, but to think Burns is so far off he can’t even be the 5th guy is being dishonest. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Sutton has shown potential and need for improvement. He has shown at least some ability to play safety. But he has proven to be a prospect.

Burns started his career very good and it's been all down hill since. While it's not impossible the he turns it around I think it's extremely unrealistic to think that happens.

I WANT Burns to become the man we drafted him to be, I don't believe he will be.

Justin Layne might be unproven but he will get, imo, more opportunities than Burns this season. Nelson and Haden are automatically in front of him and Hilton should be too

I haven't seen any of that. At least no more then any other player. I know I was pleasantly surprised by his Rookie year given I thought he was a reach but you may be correct in that Burns may never be the guy he was drafted to be. I think @Dcash4hit the nail on the head when he said for some people, the unknown of Sutton seems like the better option then the known of Burns. I don't agree with the sentiment but I do understand it. As for Lane, if they continue to use the "CBs 8 yards off the LOS" scheme he may end up being worse then Burns. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think ppl gotta stop acting like it's a stretch to say Burns has been trash

I don’t think anyone has said this. I feel everyone realizes he hasn’t been good and it’s a solid chance he doesn’t make the cut. 

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

deserves to be cut.

I don’t mind if you feel this way - I won’t say it’s wrong, but the idea that he should be cut because of Sutton or anyone else is wrong. None of them deserve any level of status. It’s all up for grabs. 

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That may be true about Layne I think ppl gotta stop acting like it's a stretch to say Burns has been trash in the last few years and deserves to be cut.

I think it has MORE to do with there isn't much left in the cupboard. Meaning, he isn't drastically worse then what's left. I didn't like the pick (still don't) but I do think he is being used incorrectly. 

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He shouldn't be cut because of someone else. He should be cut because of himself.

I don’t mind this argument. Not worded quite like that, but the notion of just moving on from Burns. That I understand. If we just say hey it’s time to move on, the direction which we are going is admitting you failed and just turning the page. 

That I get. Saying he doesn’t have a shot against the other back end guys, that’s what I struggle with.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Our secondary imo was at its worst with him on the field 

And it wasn’t decidedly better with Sutton on it either. That’s why I have a very hard time understanding what make Burns at best the 6th like there is some sort of gap that’s not debatable. There is no one hands down better and, of the rest, Burns has by far shown the most. I’m willing to blindly make an assumption that Layne is the 4th for the purposes of this argument, but I’m not willing to blindly say Sutton, Allen, or anyone else brings more to the table for that 5th spot than Burns. 

I think Burns sucks, but Sutton hasn't shown anything better.  As far as I'm concerned, both would struggle to make any roster with semi decent secondary depth, but will make ours because we have next to none.

Burns at best is a poor man's Ike Taylor...nice athletic talent, but well below average instincts.  Just like Ike, he is abysmal at tracking the ball in the air.  

Bottom line...Burns sucks, but between his athleticism, the fact that he was a first round pick, and our lack of CB depth, he is definitely going to make the roster in 2019.  They damn well better decline his 5th year option, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

They damn well better decline his 5th year option, though.

Already done. Deadline passed in early May. Its put up or shut up time for an NFL job with Burns. 

Not that I expect him to actually play defense, but I think he could have a +year NFL career on ST......just, hopefully not with us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Already done. Deadline passed in early May. Its put up or shut up time for an NFL job with Burns. 

Not that I expect him to actually play defense, but I think he could have a +year NFL career on ST......just, hopefully not with us. 

Yeah, thought maybe that passed, but didnt see anything about it.

On 2019-07-13 at 11:15 PM, wwhickok said:

He shouldn't be cut because of someone else. He should be cut because of himself.

exactly, no better way to word this. A player should be cut based on how they play regardless of draft pick status and salary . Move on and get better players is what should help the team instead of keeping someone around that has proven to be a deficit  to the team. Where is the emoticon of the head smashing into the brick wall?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:57 PM, jebrick said:

I'll give my take based on absolutely nothing.  Changes in bold

QB: Ben, Dobbs, Mason
RB: Connor, Samuels, Snell
FB: Nix
WR: JuJu, Washington, Moncreif, Johnson, Switz, Griffey - - I am going to go out on a limb and say Eli Rogers. He is solid.
TE: McDonald, Gimble, FA signing - - Lawd yes, please!!! Let's see which veteran becomes a salary cap or camp casualty.
T: Villy, Fieler, Chick, Hawkins
G: Foster, Decastro, Finney, Morris
C: Pouncey

DE: Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs
NT: Hargrave, McCullers - - I was the biggest McCullers supporter, but I am done. He hasn't shown me anything.  At this point, I will take this guy over Mt. McCullers.

top_10_bad_british_accents_mike_myers.jp
OLB: TJ, Dupree, Ola, Chicki, - - Make or break year for Chick. I love him and his work ethic, but time to step up with the results.
ILB: William, Bush, Barron, Matakevich, Smith
CB: Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Layne, Burns, - - I like the long and athletic Allen. Burns is more talented, but I think it is time to move on.
S: Davis, Edmunds, Allen, Sutton - - Still holding razor thin hopes of a moderate Tre' Boston signing. 

K: Boswell
P: Berry - - Still not sold on Berry either.
LS: Canaday

• I can't get rid of Matakevich becasue he is the only backup to VWill. - - Great ST. Makes it hard to cut him or Chick.
  • I can't believe I am forced to keep Buggs. Sayles or Conor or Watson might beat him out
  • It was between Hawkins and Grey for the last OT spot. - - Lasst hurray for Hawkins.
  • Can't believe I am forced to keep Burns
  • PS Gentry, Brumfield, Prince Edmunds, T. Jones, Gilbert, Locke, S. Conor
  • I am not sure where to put Smith Sutton but I am sure he will make the roster unless injury - -Yep, straight baller!
  • I am missing one defensive player that I need to think about ( meaning I have no idea) - - For me that player is Ulysses Gilbert. He is undersized for the edge though.

Special teams play or lack thereof will make the difference with many positions.

This group has been hard on Bud Dupree and he looks like an all pro compared to what Artie has done on the field.  Artie checks all of the boxes for speed, athleticism, size, character,, good guy off the field, etc.  However, he has not put it together on the field. 

Bud has at least flashed a few glimpses of hope throughout his career, but has been inconsistent himself in terms of sack production and pass rush. This is the classic my ugly girl is prettier than yours argument.  The Steelers need production/help in both areas.

5-reasons-why-dating-an-ugl.jpg