NFL proposed 18 game season to NFLPA with 16 games per player limit

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why is it dumb to limit players to 16 games?  I think people who say it's dumb are dumb.  You're talking about the NFL, not flag football.  The built up damage on a body for 16 weeks is enough to ruin players.  18 games plus 4 playoff games for some teams is not sustainable. 

The problem is you are guaranteeing that star players are going to miss games, which is just terrible.  Imagine if you went into the NBA season knowing LeBron James would be forced to miss 11% of the Lakers regular season games?  

I've long been in support of an 18 game schedule.  The NFL season always feels too short.  Of course there are things that need to be done, if that change happens, to make sure the players get the right amount of rest.  But this would be a terrible change.  It would be better if they had a league-wide 2 week break (make it the NFL's All-Star weekend) after Week 8 or something like that.  But guaranteeing that teams are going to have to rely on depth players, who probably aren't even good, and then practice squad players to be the depth to that depth?  Yeah, no.  Nobody wants that.

EDIT - Actually I totally blanked on why an NFL All-Star weekend would be terrible during the regular season, potential for injuries and all.  But I'd still rather have a 2 week break instead of this rule. 

This may seem over-reactionary, but doing this would damage the NFL more than it helps it.  I mean every regular season game in the NFL is so important, that is what people (or at least most fans I know) love the most about it.  So imagine one of those important regular season games down the stretch being quarterbacked by Jimmy Clausen because your QB is forced to sit-out?

Edited by iknowcool

Translation: increase the number of regular season games to 18 (to make more money via tickets, concessions and merchandise sales) but keep paying the players for 16 games.

Makes a ton of sense for the owners. Zero sense for the NFLPA. Only way they'd agree to this is the removal of all tags (you're an unrestricted free agent when your contract is up regardless of years of service (maybe keep the ERFA as it incentivizes the team to keep young players who are still developing?)), the creation of a separate punishment appeals board that will have former players (or at least NFLPA selected members), removal of the NFL GM from being involved in any appeals of punishments, and treating marijuana as not a suspendable offense at all.

Basically: "you want this? you have to give us everything we're going to ask for in exchange."

• Like 5

The NFL has the best regular season in professional sports (of the big 4 anyway) I would hate to see playoff spots determined by being forced to play your backup QB twice (along with other backups) 

Yeah I understand some starting QBs miss time every year but the idea of being forced to pick a week to play their backup (assuming your starter is healthy) would really ruin the NFL for me I think 

• Like 1

Alongside the biggest issues, did anyone think about special teams? So what the heck is going to happen to kickers and punters? If you think starters are bad now, we bout to see next level terribad with shanked punts and missed field goals galore from whatever backups they are gonna bring in. Also means balancing a 53 man roster will be even more difficult.

Your special teams units are basically gonna be handicapped 2 games a year.

Edited by Here'sJim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Does Roger Goodell provide any counsel at all to the owners? Or is he paid 32m just to nod yes? This has to be the worst idea the NFL has ever come up with and by a large margin. When this idea was floated around I laughed it off, makes you wonder how 31 owners successful enough to own an NFL franchise had any success in the world when they got together and legitimately decided this proposal was worth making to their players union. I'd never root for a lockout but if it meant saving us fans from this, have at it boys.

They pay him to nod and say yes and be the brunt of bad PR while they do all kinds of evil dumb **** for the sake of immediate financial windfall rather than any measure of stability.

• Like 1