NFL proposed 18 game season to NFLPA with 16 games per player limit

49erurtaza

If the league wants to extend the season, and generate two more weeks of tv revenue, why not give teams two bye weeks, instead of one?  

That might help to keep more stars on the field, or give them opportunities to recover in order to play in games later in the season, or the post-season.

from the Packers 2018 Annual report:

National revenue includes TV deals, road-game revenue sharing and others, such as NFL media operations, and is distributed equally to all NFL teams.

National revenue for the 2018 year was $274.3 million per team, an $18.4 million increase from the year before. ( salary cap was at $ 177.2M) 
That comes out to $ 8.77 Billion in national revenue alone, the largest of 3 buckets of money that flow into the owners pocketses

Local income for the Packers was $203.7 million, a $4.7 million increase from 2017

Media — Revenue the NFL earns by selling the rights to broadcast games on television and radio. Currently the NFL has television broadcast agreements with NBC, CBS, FOX, and ESPN. The right to operate Sunday Ticket, which allows subscribers to watch out-of-market games, is held by Direct TV. Radio rights are held by Westwood Media and SiriusXM. The NFL also receives nominal payments from the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) for the re-transmission of certain games. ($ 274.3M/ team and the new TV deals are right around the corner)

NFL Ventures, L.P. — Income generated via the NFL corporate entity NFL Ventures, L.P. This entity is responsible for all NFL revenue generated at the national level, excluding TV and radio broadcasting revenue. This bucket includes revenue generated by the NFL Network, sponsorship, licensing, NFL productions, and miscellaneous smaller revenue sources.

Local — Local revenue generated by individual teams via gate receipts, luxury box sales, concessions, parking, local sponsorship and advertising, and any other team-generated revenue. ( $ 203.7 M for GB, the smallest NFL city)

ipso facto: There's no need for 18 regular season games

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't think it's all that bad an idea.  Go to a single preseason game.  Designate like 43 players out for the first two weeks of the season. 

Have the final cut down to 53 players after the second game. 

That way fans won't be upset if they buy tickets and have a star player sitting out while healthy.
Teams won't be able to take advantage of injuries to meet the required two game shortage.

Makes fringe roster players more valuable and gives them a chance to show what they're capable of.  Gives NFL revenue of two more meaningful games.  0-2 is no longer a bad spot to be in while it could give bad teams a chance at finishing strong.  Improves parity.  Removes two/three meaningless games. 

It's essentially making the final two preseason games count for something. 

Don't know why fans are so opposed to more football. 

So your idea is to remove 2 meaningless games and play them meaningfully with bad players? Sweet. 

I'm plenty happy with the amount of football I have. Two more games of Deshone Kizer (ones as a ticket hold I'll have to pay full price for and won't be able to sell) moves the needle the opposite direction. It's probably the worst rule proposal ever concocted for any sports league.

• Like 1

Keep it at 16 games, add an extra bye week, this way the NFL can sell 18 weeks of regular season to tv networks, plus the playoffs, they increase the revenues some, they don't pay the players more, and the players get an extra week to rest, which should be fine with the NFLPA, and should improve the on-field product by giving star players one more chance to heal injuries so they can be at their best for the end of season and playoffs. If you add games, yes, you increase revenues, but you also increase expenses. Adding a bye week doesn't incur that much more expenses. Some, but not as much as extra games would.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This could be kind of intriguing from a strategy perspective. In a non-sensical kind of way.

Not really, you'd either see 2 of the AFC-NFC matchups per team become preseason games every year as they really have no bearing on playoff tiebreaker. Otherwise you may see some good teams try to beat a bad same conference team without their stars in hopes of stealing a win. That'd probably cover 95% of the times a team would pull star players.

Packers President and mouthpiece, Mark Murphy

One potential bargaining chip is the creation of an 18-game season. While he discussed the option frequently at the time, Murphy was not a proponent of that during the last round of CBA talks.

“It’ll be an interesting issue,” Murphy said. “With the concerns that we have about the health and safety of our players, it’s a difficult issue to add two more regular-season games. I would say, though, that we don’t need four preseason games. As I look at the overall NFL, one of the worst things we do is our preseason. The games are not a positive thing. They are not well-received by fans. They serve the purpose of getting ready for the season but we don’t need all four of them. I think that will be an issue in bargaining. Another thing that’s been discussed is the possibility of going to 17 and three and having the 17th game be an international game or a neutral site game, so you can help grow the game in other areas. I think there may be some discussions about that, as well.”

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not really, you'd either see 2 of the AFC-NFC matchups per team become preseason games every year as they really have no bearing on playoff tiebreaker. Otherwise you may see some good teams try to beat a bad same conference team without their stars in hopes of stealing a win. That'd probably cover 95% of the times a team would pull star players.

Maybe.

But I could absolutely see different teams take different approaches to it if it's not overly structured or strict on when those 16 games are. Some teams might attempt to push them as late in the season as possible so that injuries can spare them some of the required games missed. Some teams might choose to bench their whole roster once, some teams might do it in pieces so they still have a chance to win every game. Maybe you bench your starting QB in the easiest two games of the season and still try to win those. Maybe you look at the games against the Pats and Rams on the schedule and decide to just not try those.

I think there's plenty of ways coaches could choose to approach it.

I don't think it's a good idea. But I do think it would be interesting to see how the strategy around it develops. I think those saying you'd just have two more weeks of preseason are underestimating things there.

46 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

There aren't 32 good kickers in the NFL. Can you imagine trying to find an additional 10 or so to cycle through teams?

i didnt even think of that, i guess i thought this would only apply to starters. they would need to expand the roster to like 75 for this to work.