Team Needs

Ghostnote

1. Center- Below average to average center that struggles delivering consistent snaps. Doesn’t do anything particularly well and isn’t able to handle the line calls and adjustments.

2. Dominant/Pass rushing IDL

3. Outside pass rusher

4. OG- We have a lot of average talent, a difference maker could go a long way.

5. WR- Until we see proof that we have something with our current investments, we have to assume the history of the position could repeat itself.

The Ravens are lucky to have no true dire needs. And the positions they do need help at, have for the most part had some prospects tossed at them.

Need 1- IOL

1A. Center- Starter Matt Skura hasn't shown much, and I don't think any of us really anticipate him showing much more. We also recently drafted Bradley Bozeman, a college Center that has spent some time at Guard for us.

1B. Guard- Yanda is a HOF player nearing retirement, and after him we have nothing solidified. James Hurst is a passable swing player with above average pulling ability that has allowed him to find some success in Roman's system. We just drafted Ben Powers from Oklahoma in the 4th Round. Jermaine Eluemanor is another swing player, he has performed better at Tackle but is being given a shot at LG from what we've seen so far in 2019. Alex Lewis played poorly last season.

Overview: Left Guard and Center are in the running for weakest spots on the team, and once Yanda leaves we could be staring at a crisis level situation on the interior. We do have young players in the mix, Eluemanor(24), Powers(22), and Bozeman(24). None are high end options though. 

Need 2- DI

Specifically,- Interior Pass Rush

We have some the best run stuffing personnel in the league, Brandon Williams & Michael Pierce. They also, Pierce especially, provide some general interior disruption that resets the LOS. Neither are a true force against the pass though.

Again, we do have players in the pipeline. That many of us are quite high on. Willie Henry, Zach Sieler, and we nabbed an potential major UDFA steal in Gerald Willis III out of Miami. Willis was an early round DI prospect that fell due to character concerns, and his calling card is his ability against the pass. Until they're consistent and proven though, it remains a big need for us. 

Need 3- WR & EDGE

The situation at these positions is the most glaring example of us having plenty of prospects in the pipeline, and none of them being proven to a degree in which we could dismiss the need. 

WR: Marquise Brown, Chris Moore, Miles Boykin, Jordan Lasley, Antoine Wesley, Jaleel Scott

EDGE: Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Jaylon Ferguson

It's as @diamondbull424 said, until we see all these investments consistently display the impact we need. The "need" positions will have to remain the same. 

Going further, if I had to assign a letter grade to each position on the team in terms of Proven Impact, Depth, and Potential. This is what I think-

Special Teams-

Kicker: A+  - Tucker = GOAT.

Punter: B+  - Sam Koch is a great punter, and Kaare Vedvik will also start in the league.

Defense-

FS: A - Earl Thomas is a HOFer, still only 30 years old. DeShon Elliot is a young beast lurking in the shadows.

SS: A+ - Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark, and Anthony Levine. We're loaded. 

CB: A+ - Marlon Humphrey, Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young, Brandon Carr, Anthony Averett, Maurice Canady etc etc. Top CB group in the NFL.

LB: B - Patrick "Peanut" Onwuasor, Kenny Young, and Chris Board. Our sleeper group. No Mosley?, no problem.

EDGE: C+ - Matt Judon, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Pernell McPhee, Jaylon Ferguson, Shane Ray. Time for all of them to step up.

DI- NT: A+ - Michael Pierce, Brandon Williams, Daylon Mack. Power pigs, all of them.

DI- DT: C - Willie Henry, Gerald Willis III. Prove it players.

DI- DE: C - Chris Wormley, Zach Sieler. Same as above.

Offense-

T: A - Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown Jr. will bookend our line for years. Depth is strong.

G: C - Yanda pulls the grade up for the group. Problem area.

C: D - 0 above average options on the roster.

WR: C+ - There are reasons to be encouraged, history says we shouldn't be though.

TE: A - Mark Andrews was a Rookie revelation, Hayden Hurst should make a big splash in 2019, and Boyle is likely the top blocking TE in the league.

HB: B+ - Proven Vet/ Mark Ingram, Young Stud/ Gus Edwards, Impactful When Available/ Kenneth Dixon, Rookie Runner/ Justice Hill, Sleeper/ De'Lance Turner- I can't complain.

QB: C+ - Lamar Jackson is a unique offensive weapon we can lean on to win games. Time will tell if he can become a true franchise player though. RG3 is a suitable back up for the offense. 

Don't know what you're working on, but hope this helps.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 2

I think both DB and DK provided a pretty fair assessments of needs and current roster strenght. I can only agree.

Next year could look completely different though. If Wormley, Henry, Zieler, Willis step up, and Ben Powers proves to be a revelation at guard and bozeman takes the spot from Skura, and OLB/WR's someone pans out, and we let Jimmy Smith and brandon Carr leave, then cornerback could be the need.

RG and CB are the only positions where we play players going into their last seasons. Very young and talented, but unproven roster.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 4:51 AM, Danand said:

I think both DB and DK provided a pretty fair assessments of needs and current roster strenght. I can only agree.

Next year could look completely different though. If Wormley, Henry, Zieler, Willis step up, and Ben Powers proves to be a revelation at guard and bozeman takes the spot from Skura, and OLB/WR's someone pans out, and we let Jimmy Smith and brandon Carr leave, then cornerback could be the need.

RG and CB are the only positions where we play players going into their last seasons. Very young and talented, but unproven roster.

Interesting point with the Jimmy Smith/Brandon Carr Point. Hadn’t truly considered that angle.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, DreamKid said:

SS: A+ - Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark, and Anthony Levine. We're loaded. 

Probably the only spot I’d disagree with. Tony Jefferson is just too much of a liability, as the starter, for me to give that position group that much clout, especially above that FS group.

I think Jefferson brings this unit down to a B+ based off of his performance to this point. Though having Earl Thomas as a potential cover 1 option to cover ground could potentially free Jefferson up to be an intimidating box presence... but that still remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Probably the only spot I’d disagree with. Tony Jefferson is just too much of a liability, as the starter, for me to give that position group that much clout, especially above that FS group.

I think Jefferson brings this unit down to a B+ based off of his performance to this point. Though having Earl Thomas as a potential cover 1 option to cover ground could potentially free Jefferson up to be an intimidating box presence... but that still remains to be seen.

Understandable. I guess it comes down to interpretation. I didn't look at the groups in terms of how we utilize them, but rather what the sum value of who we have at the position could reasonably be appraised as. With 'Proven Impact', 'Depth', and 'Potential' as key evaluation points. 

IMO, we have 3 starter level talents at SS. Which is an easy A+ in terms of Depth. Then from a potential standpoint, Chuck Clark yields another A. U25, Cerebral, Athletic, Instinctive etc. He doesn't really fall short in any area when you're looking to project growth out of a young player. As for Proven Impact, I'd consider SS a B. Jefferson has been a C level impact player for us, but Levine & Clark have excelled beyond that when given the opportunity. 

Honestly, I guess it's best to just look at the Safety position as a whole on our team. I kind of broke it up in terms of what the official depth chart will likely look like, but we all know how fluid the situation is. Deshon Elliot isn't a pure FS, nor is Clark limited to SS. We also frequently deploy 3 safeties, with one taking on a hybrid LB/S role. So all together, it's an easy A+ position group for us. 

What do you think about the HB group DB?

On 7/12/2019 at 7:25 PM, DreamKid said:

HB: B+ - Proven Vet/ Mark Ingram, Young Stud/ Gus Edwards, Impactful When Available/ Kenneth Dixon, Rookie Runner/ Justice Hill, Sleeper/ De'Lance Turner- I can't complain.

I was iffy on this grade, and I know you like looking at the running back position. I feel kind of torn in both directions with them. Weirdly, if someone offered a higher or a lower grade evaluation of them. I wouldn't really object. 

19 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What do you think about the HB group DB?

On 7/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, DreamKid said:

I was iffy on this grade, and I know you like looking at the running back position. I feel kind of torn in both directions with them. Weirdly, if someone offered a higher or a lower grade evaluation of them. I wouldn't really object. 

I thought the HB ratings was very much on point. We have talents that can get the job done in different ways:

- Ingram has the all around rushing style, but has much of the durability that we’ve lacked out of our runners recently. He has the combination between agility, strength, and vision that makes him a high level option.

- Gus Edwards has power and decisiveness. He falls forwards and gets the tough yards.

- Dixon will probably be traded as he’s basically Ingram with a little more juice and much less durability.

- Hill brings the long speed and explosiveness that should be dangerous with Jackson.

But as much as we have above, we don’t have any one player with more than one elite trait. We have a committee of talent vs someone that is a true difference maker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I thought the HB ratings was very much on point. We have talents that can get the job done in different ways:

- Ingram has the all around rushing style, but has much of the durability that we’ve lacked out of our runners recently. He has the combination between agility, strength, and vision that makes him a high level option.

- Gus Edwards has power and decisiveness. He falls forwards and gets the tough yards.

- Dixon will probably be traded as he’s basically Ingram with a little more juice and much less durability.

- Hill brings the long speed and explosiveness that should be dangerous with Jackson.

But as much as we have above, we don’t have any one player with more than one elite trait. We have a committee of talent vs someone that is a true difference maker.

Yea, Dixon is a good all-around back, but has durability issues, is in the 4th year of his rookie deal and may not fit on the roster as currently constructed.  If our backfield remains healthy through preseason/TC, then I could definitely see him going to a team that has someone significant go down or is concerned about younger backs' ability to acclimate to the pro game immediately (i.e. pass block, etc.).

• Like 1