Team Needs

Ghostnote

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

TE first imo. S and ILB next although the FO seems contenot with Safety

ILB?  Not impossible, but that could be one of the strengths of our D?  I have more faith in our ILBs than our OLB sans Watt.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:31 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

ILB?  Not impossible, but that could be one of the strengths of our D?  I have more faith in our ILBs than our OLB sans Watt.

I will say I think ILB is a 'supplemental need' I think our depth looks better now but if VW ends up being limited how long will he or we want to continue that relationship? Then depth becomes a need. But it's certainly not a top need right now, at last.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, wwhickok said:

TE first imo. S and OLB next although the FO seems contenot with Safety

I agree:

Solid #2 TE who can potentially start (Vance has an injury history). Gimble and an unknown rookie. Nuff said! Major ????

OLB - - I think Ola will step up and provide some relief, but more opinion than fact and still more ??? than answers with him. Not sure Chick is much more than a solid special teams player who can give us 3 - 4 sacks in 16 games. Another ?

FS - - A lot of ???? Davis is in a make or break year for a contract (not horrible, but not someone that you couldn't upgrade), Edmonds is in year two (freakishly explosive/fast athlete, but has to make a huge improvement) Depth has ??? Jordan Dangerfield, hard hitter and willing tackler, but very average in coverage, Marcus Allen - - ??? a bunch of free agents beyond that.  Mark Barron may actually be playing some Nickel Safety if the improvements from young guys don't happen.  My solution: Sign Tre' Boston to play FS and rotate in with Davis and Edmunds. He provides stability.

K/P - - I do believe that Boz bounces back to "Killer Boz" status, but he has to prove it. I have never been a fan of Jordan Berry's punting. I keep waiting for him to explode and it doesn't happen. A guy who is 6'5 and said to have a booming leg, but hasn't punted consistently enough in my humble opinion. I would have some kickers and punters on speed dial and combing the waiver wire.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-12 at 8:46 PM, mike23md said:

Trying to get some info from the forum field. 

What are your team needs as of right now. 

In order would be preferred. 

Thanks!

GM - one that doesn't change his mind a year later after signing to starting ILB's for example. 

K - if boswell doesn't rebound

Edge - if the team wants to be legit. They might have players here but right now that isn't known

S and CB are still unknown to be better but should be. Still, this secondary is the worst ever at TO's so maybe this thread's answer could start there:/

Team spirit - lets see if this season has the BSD off last year. I would consider that near the top despite not actually being a "need" as in a single roster spot itself

On 2019-07-22 at 6:48 PM, wwhickok said:

In Colberts defense I think he felt like the secondary could mask VW and Bostic in the LB corps and they were counting on a strong performance by Bud Dupree. None of that happened.

good observation/theory. Problem with that approach is it is risky and face the 40 yard stopwatch for  Bostic time should have had them passing on bostic.  The secondary has been terrible for a long time, no need to think they can make up for deficiencies at ILB and OLB... we saw what happnened last year, and someone should have stopped colbert when he was doing all this last year. Rooney and tomlin get to share some blame here, and maybe add butler because the D is his responsibility too

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

I do agree with that, however I really do believe he felt, given how well Hilton had played 2 seasons back and Joe Haden and potential budding star Cam Sutton (I'm not saying he is a budding star, I'm saying it might be how Colbert viewed him), and maybe a resurgence from Burns, I truly feel like they thought the secondary would be better. I think that's why they stuck with Sensabaugh and brought in Burnett also.

He took a risk and it backfired.

• Like 1