Should Rookie RBs Get Shorter Contracts?

JaguarCrazy2832

29 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The management still have more leverage than the player though. Which runningbacks in the last 20 years have had that much leverage? 

Faulk, LT, Lynch, Peterson, maybe Gurley. 

Outside of making a concerted effort to increase their leverage, I don't see how the RBs enact any sort of change, at all. They don't have any sort of lobbying effort solely for running backs to speak of. Bringing such a thing up during CBA negotiations is, most likely, a non-starter. 

So...what do they do? Demand trades, threaten hold outs, threaten retirement. It's the only stuff they can logically do. 

Edited by Heinz D.

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Outside of making a concerted effort to increase their leverage, I don't see how the RBs enact any sort of change, at all. They don't have any sort of lobbying effort solely for running backs to speak of. Bringing such a thing up during CBA negotiations is, most likely, a non-starter. 

So...what do they do? Demand trades, threaten hold outs, threaten retirement. It's the only stuff they can logically do. 

I dont disagree really, I'm just saying ratley will a runningback have leverage, bell is a good example.  

I guess they dont have leverage with management or the nflpa. The best bet is if you are a premier athlete play another sport or position.

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I dont disagree really, I'm just saying ratley will a runningback have leverage, bell is a good example.  

I guess they dont have leverage with management or the nflpa. The best bet is if you are a premier athlete play another sport or position.

The thing is that they don't have anyone lobbying solely on their behalf, and the NFLPA can't reasonably make an exception solely for running backs. It would be great if things would work like that...but they don't. So the only thing left to do is kick and scream. If you're Gordon, threaten retirement...

51 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The thing is that they don't have anyone lobbying solely on their behalf, and the NFLPA can't reasonably make an exception solely for running backs. It would be great if things would work like that...but they don't. So the only thing left to do is kick and scream. If you're Gordon, threaten retirement...

Yeah I agree, can and should are different things. 

Retirement wouldnt be a bad option for Gordon, he could cut it in TV or coaching and on behalf of those that follow him he would make a big impact.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Retirement wouldnt be a bad option for Gordon, he could cut it in TV or coaching and on behalf of those that follow him he would make a big impact.

I'd imagine that if Gordon threatened retirement, the Chargers brass would first wet their pants, then whip out their checkbooks...:D

• Like 1