If you could award two former players and two current players a Superbowl ring. who would they be and why?

PFM18

As the question states, you can give two former and two current NFL players a Superbowl ring, who would you choose?

(I went for two as a) I have two players in mind for each category and b) I know how hard it would be for people to select one)

Former Players:

Jim Kelly

You could pick a lot of players from that Bills team (Bruce Smith, Andre Reed) who went to four successive Super Bowls but weren't able to win one. I've gone for Jim Kelly because he's Buffalo through and through, has battled through a lot in his life and genuinely feel his QB play deserved at least one accolade to truly cement his legacy.

Barry Sanders

One of the greatest running backs, if not one of the greatest players, to ever set foot in the NFL.

Just a shame he never got to showcase his talent at a Super Bowl. He had such humility on the field and feel he could have still offered a lot more to the game had he decided not to retire and instead play a few more seasons.

Current Players:

Phillip Rivers

He's a main rival to one of my teams, and there have been times when he's really been annoying to play against, but there's no doubt that Phillip Rivers is one of the top QB's in this league and is as good if not better than the QB's taken in the 2004 class (Eli, Big Ben).

Unfortunately they both have the two rings where he doesn't. His playoff career hasn't been exactly great but with his window closing it would be nice to see him cap off his overall exemplary career with a Super Bowl.

Larry Fitzgerald

Back in Superbowl 43, with just over two minutes to go, Larry Fitzgerald caught a pass, ran for 64 yards to score a touchdown and put the Arizona Cardinals ahead against the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

He was that close to getting a ring. A Santonio Holmes tiptoe away from getting a ring.

He's done so much for the Cardinals, but unfortunately it looks as though the game's highest accolade will evade him. 

One of the best receivers to ever play the game, and a pillar in the Cardinals storied history. 

• Like 4

Former

Randy Moss

Tony Romo - A damn shame he never won one. Romo had his flaws, but he was criminally underrated and got a lot of flak for things that were out of his control.

Current

Drew Brees - I'd like to see him win one more, provided it's not at our expense.

Jimmy Garappolo - Make SF great again.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

Championships are much more important for a QBs legacy than any other position so I think they should dominate this conversation and the reason I pick the players I do is because of legacy.

I'd probably go Marino and Tarkenton. (Assuming I'm not just doing what I'd want then it would be Kosar and Sipe)

Current would probably be Rivers and ummm I dunno. Matt Ryan? Cam? Stafford? Pretty much all of the long standing great QBs besides Rivers have a title unless I'm forgetting someone. Since I can't think of one that hands down needs one to cement their legacy I'll say Baker Mayfield because that would cement his legacy in Cleveland.

• Like 4

Super homer picks:

Former:

Andre Tippett - All-time great linebacker who was the cornerstone of the Patriots Defense for a decade  

John Hannah - One of the greatest guards who ever lived. On some good teams that came up short. Robbed in ‘76.

Current:

N’Keal Harry - I have huge hopes for Harry. Just a rookie, but has potential to be an impact player for a long time.

Jarrett Stidham - A rookie QB, but IF he steps in after the Goat retires and wins the Super Bowl, that would be pretty great. 

• Like 1

Former:

Marino- Maybe the greatest QB to never win a ring

Moss- Came close twice.  Disappointed he never won one.

Current:

Fitzgerald- It's a shame he's played on a lot of bad teams in his career

Daniel Jones (Not a Giants fan or even a Daniel Jones fan but I think he's gotten a lot of undeserved criticism.  Not his fault he was heavily overdrafted.  I would love to see him work out and stick it to the haters)

Moss and Marino are no brainers. Two all time greats, and the latter would likely go up in the rankings with a ring.

Current? I’ll go against the grain (because Rivers and Fitz would be my choices too) and say JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins - two with one stone. Watt, debatably, already belongs in the GOAT conversation, and leading a team through the playoffs with some memorable moments would solidify his case. Hopkins has been a baller for years now, and still doesn’t quite get recognition compared to a guy like Julio or AB. I still see OBJ and guys like Thomas/Hill put over him. Hopkins has been extremely consistent despite the QBs put in front of him, and has never been a team distraction. He’s just the type of home-grown, elite talent that I find easy to root for.

• Like 1