Best Setup for Gaming Laptop? PC Gaming etc

I'm looking for recommendations for gaming laptops, mouses, and other things that may be useful. I'm look to splurge on a setup soon as I just moved into a new place and I don't even have a good comfy chair to sit in specifically for my desk. Brand, etc. Ideally, I'm trying not to spend more than $1200 on the laptop. I realize that may severely limit my choices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMNNRPT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_km7kDbPS4V94D

For the price you can't beat that deal, that mouse alone is like $90. You can easily add another 16gb SoDimm ram stick to have 32gb of ram and can also upgrade the hard drives later as well if you want.

The GPU is unfortunately the weakest link as it's only a 1050ti.... It'll play any game you want but more graphically demanding games will not be be able to be played on Max settings. Honestly though... For anything above a 1050ti you're going to really struggle to keep it under $1200

One side note on this laptop model is that during gaming sessions the fans can get a bit noisy. It also runs pretty hot (consistently above 70° C when gaming) so a cooling pad is definitely recommended.

Ultimately for under $1000 you're not going to find anything better.

Edited by rob_shadows

It's going to be pretty hard to beat that Asus laptop Rob Shadows posted. That's a fine deal. I'd prefer a PCIe ssd, but that's about it. When I did some laptop shopping a couple of years ago, I found a company called Eluktronics that I thought delivered some really solid power at a nice price point, and they have a lot of different options to customize if you prefer to go that route, which was a big deal for me. They can be found on Amazon, so I would certainly give them a look over. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

It's going to be pretty hard to beat that Asus laptop Rob Shadows posted. That's a fine deal. I'd prefer a PCIe ssd, but that's about it. When I did some laptop shopping a couple of years ago, I found a company called Eluktronics that I thought delivered some really solid power at a nice price point, and they have a lot of different options to customize if you prefer to go that route, which was a big deal for me. They can be found on Amazon, so I would certainly give them a look over. 

That Asus laptop has PCIe, it has one PCIe drive and one sata 3 drive. I have that laptop and plan to upgrade both drives to the high end Samsung drives, a 1TB 970 Evo plus M.2 and a 2TB 860 Evo sata 3.

The only thing it lacks that may be a deal breaker for some but wasn't a huge deal to me is a thunderbolt 3 slot.

Edited by rob_shadows

Also, if you're thinking about a gaming laptop because of portability and on the go gaming just remember that while gaming laptops may be easy to take wherever you go you're still going to want a power outlet available most of the time as battery life for gaming laptops is terrible... You're lucky if you can get 2 hours out of them (when gaming anyway... Maybe 3-4 hours of general use)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Also, if you're thinking about a gaming laptop because of portability and on the go gaming just remember that while gaming laptops may be easy to take wherever you go you're still going to want a power outlet available most of the time as battery life for gaming laptops is terrible... You're lucky if you can get 2 hours out of them (when gaming anyway... Maybe 3-4 hours of general use)

This, plus they're heavy and thick and can get quite hot depending on your computer/cooling system. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXLFLXT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6QglDbWQ17KK1

If you have Amazon prime this one is on sale for 999 for prime day and if you can get it now... Do it... That laptop will handle any game you throw at it on Max settings and having 2 PCIe slots gives you options for plenty of blazing fast m.2 storage (and you'll definitely want to get another to throw in there since it only comes with 256GB).

14 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Never even looked into laptop gaming, how easily can you swap out components?  

For most mid tier to high end gaming laptops they have a single panel on the bottom to remove to access the RAM and hard drives, mine is a single screw you need to remove and you're good. Can't upgrade the CPU or GPU in a laptop though unfortunately, you're stuck with what you have until you buy a whole new laptop.

35 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

For most mid tier to high end gaming laptops they have a single panel on the bottom to remove to access the RAM and hard drives, mine is a single screw you need to remove and you're good. Can't upgrade the CPU or GPU in a laptop though unfortunately, you're stuck with what you have until you buy a whole new laptop.

Yeesh, that reason alone would make me super hesitant to buy something with a 1050/1060 in it.  BFV is optimized for **** but even with my 1060 it runs poorly on high settings.  

22 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMNNRPT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_km7kDbPS4V94D

For the price you can't beat that deal, that mouse alone is like $90. You can easily add another 16gb SoDimm ram stick to have 32gb of ram and can also upgrade the hard drives later as well if you want.

The GPU is unfortunately the weakest link as it's only a 1050ti.... It'll play any game you want but more graphically demanding games will not be be able to be played on Max settings. Honestly though... For anything above a 1050ti you're going to really struggle to keep it under $1200

One side note on this laptop model is that during gaming sessions the fans can get a bit noisy. It also runs pretty hot (consistently above 70° C when gaming) so a cooling pad is definitely recommended.

Ultimately for under $1000 you're not going to find anything better.

That's a really good deal, even has a 120hz screen.  That GFX card is not very good, though.  I wouldn't buy that.  I'd just wait for Black Friday.