Best Setup for Gaming Laptop? PC Gaming etc

7 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I would highly suggest a desktop over laptop mainly for cooling issues. If you want to set it up so that you can game from the couch, get a steamlink or a cheap laptop to stream from the desktop (with a wired connection).

Found a cooling pad to have under the laptop 

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Good price, especially with the prime day discount. 

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN217QG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.dulDb21RDATE

If you need more storage than the 256GB it comes with buy that for a replacement and still wind up under 1200 total... Those Samsung M.2 drives are the best around.

Edited by rob_shadows

There is no real point to a gaming laptop. As someone pointed out already you basically need an outlet to not kill your battery life and you want to kill time playing games on the go a 6.4 or larger cell phone will do the trick just as well if not better considering you can add an extra battery pack to it. A Desktop would be the better option especially with all the neat things you can accomplish with the new Ryzen 3000s. 

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

There is no real point to a gaming laptop. As someone pointed out already you basically need an outlet to not kill your battery life and you want to kill time playing games on the go a 6.4 or larger cell phone will do the trick just as well if not better considering you can add an extra battery pack to it. A Desktop would be the better option especially with all the neat things you can accomplish with the new Ryzen 3000s. 

If he is traveling constantly and playing in airports/hotels (which I believe is the case), a laptop makes sense over desktop, but I think that is the only time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

If he is traveling constantly and playing in airports/hotels (which I believe is the case), a laptop makes sense over desktop, but I think that is the only time.

I might choose a different career if that's the case but ok I will agree with that. H/e unless he does the gaming laptop that you can manually upgrade (from my understanding are not really great with options.) which I admit I dont take a whole lot of time to research. He might be better off going with the ThinQ design and maybe break the bank a little. From what i hear they are far more manageable and if he is always on the hustle then it's a more ergo option. 

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I'm sorry if I'm gonna play games on my phone I might as well get a switch. The entire point of a gaming laptop is to have it ready to go when you need it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

I'm sorry if I'm gonna play games on my phone I might as well get a switch. The entire point of a gaming laptop is to have it ready to go when you need it. 

I think I missed the part where he said hes always on the go I thought it was just a preference between the two. TBH the Switch is a great idea also h/e if hes anything like me I would just go for a non gaming laptop. Download some emulators and get everything from NES up to even PS1 in terms of games. A 600$ dollar laptop should be able to handle that just fine and should run plenty of light weight tlsteam games just fine too. 

• Like 1

I would rather have a laptop over a desktop any day.  I don't care about keeping it plugged in, I keep it at the house anyway.  I want to be able to have my laptop in bed, on a desk, on the sofa, etc.  I don't like being tied to a desk and a chair to use the computer.  That's reason enough to get a laptop over a desktop.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I bought mine because I can game at work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, showtime said:

I would rather have a laptop over a desktop any day.  I don't care about keeping it plugged in, I keep it at the house anyway.  I want to be able to have my laptop in bed, on a desk, on the sofa, etc.  I don't like being tied to a desk and a chair to use the computer.  That's reason enough to get a laptop over a desktop.

That's where I'd argue that you should just stream from a desktop then. If there's a TV in the room, you can stream through a Steam Link. If the room doesn't have a TV, you can always stream through a low end laptop. Run ethernet wires anywhere you might game (although I would argue that this is something that would be beneficial regardless) and you're golden.

Edited by skywlker32
  • Like 1