Shanedorf

Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

I’m real happy with this unit and love it’s depth. Turner and Jenkins are going to make such a significant impact for our offense. Really think this is a dominant unit again. 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, Packer_ESP said:

Everyone has assumed we cut him because he sucks, which is what everyone seems to want to believe. I don't know if I'm missed something but personally I haven't dismissed the possibility that he's actually hurt and we still haven't decided what to do with him for the future

I saw it as a vote of no confidence, at the very least. The injury may keep him sidelined for awhile, and they decided that it wasn't worth paying him to stick around until he gets healthy. It's not out of the question that they take him back, but I doubt it, and I would think he would want to try going to another team if possible. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, Packerraymond said:

Feel great about the starting OL after last week. Unsure if Taylor is going to be able to hold off Jenkins, that guy is ready.

Feel much worse about the backups. Madison isn't ready, De Beer and Nijman aren't roster-able as much as I think they both have gifts. Light is OK, McCray is OK, Patrick is OK. The hell did we cut Spriggs for???

Right now I'd keep 8 OL. Turner is my backup RT. Jenkins is my starting LG. Any OG gets hurt, Taylor comes in. Bulaga gets hurt, Turner to RT and Taylor to RG. Linsley gets hurt, Jenkins to center, Taylor to LG. Light is the backup LT (holy crap that's a scary notion).

Nice write-up on the OL

Has Taylor played any snaps at RG this summer ?
Packers can come to an injury settlement with Spriggs or maybe even keep him on IR till October
Not sure you're going to find much OT talent at cutdown time, Hackett had time with Jermey Parnell in JAX and he's still looking for a home

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

I saw it as a vote of no confidence, at the very least. The injury may keep him sidelined for awhile, and they decided that it wasn't worth paying him to stick around until he gets healthy. It's not out of the question that they take him back, but I doubt it, and I would think he would want to try going to another team if possible. 

Just to piggy-back, Spriggs was going to be a FA next offseason as well.  It probably isn't worth the team's time to rehab him in hopes that he can come back in November if needed and show any improvement over what was probably a shaky position anyway.  I was fine with him being a back-up tackle given what he showed in limited playing time last season, but if he isn't available until later, we need to get someone who can play if we need them in week 3.

I can't get any inkling of who the backups are going to be if we keep 9 OL. I would've thought the picture would be clearer at this stage of camp.

Naturally the first 6 names Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Jenkins appears to be locks. Its the remaining 3 i'm having such trouble pinning down on. Light seems to be ahead of all the tackles for the swing tackle spot so he probably nabs the 7th spot but there's no guarantee that is the case.

8th and 9th literally could be anyone. Everyone is playing everywhere and there's no clear leader emerging out of the group.

I don't think there's any need to keep Patrick when you have Jenkins there to back up the centre spot.

You got Madison, a draft pick who is I believe currently is running with the 3rd team atm so I'm yet to see a jump from him. Whilst I was previously confident he would make the roster, i'm not so sure now.

McCray and Pankey are ahead with the 2nd team. Whilst both are versatile Pankey has the edge in terms of size and athleticism. 

de Beer has been ahead of Nijman at tackle so far in camp but he hasn't exactly flashed. Nijman is massive and highly athletic with huge potential upside and it makes sense to give him the 9th spot just for that crazy upside. It not as if the 9th player is going to be a game day active anyway.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I can't get any inkling of who the backups are going to be if we keep 9 OL. I would've thought the picture would be clearer at this stage of camp.

Naturally the first 6 names Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Jenkins appears to be locks. Its the remaining 3 i'm having such trouble pinning down on. Light seems to be ahead of all the tackles for the swing tackle spot so he probably nabs the 7th spot but there's no guarantee that is the case.

8th and 9th literally could be anyone. Everyone is playing everywhere and there's no clear leader emerging out of the group.

I don't think there's any need to keep Patrick when you have Jenkins there to back up the centre spot.

You got Madison, a draft pick who is I believe currently is running with the 3rd team atm so I'm yet to see a jump from him. Whilst I was previously confident he would make the roster, i'm not so sure now.

McCray and Pankey are ahead with the 2nd team. Whilst both are versatile Pankey has the edge in terms of size and athleticism. 

de Beer has been ahead of Nijman at tackle so far in camp but he hasn't exactly flashed. Nijman is massive and highly athletic with huge potential upside and it makes sense to give him the 9th spot just for that crazy upside. It not as if the 9th player is going to be a game day active anyway.

You can write off de Beer and Nijman for the active roster. Both are and have performed terribly.

That leaves you with Light, McCray, Patrick, Madison, and Pankey for the last two/three spots.

Light is one of four guys on the roster with a tackle body who doesn't look completely lost and one of the other three is starting at Guard. He's an easy add.

Madison isn't physically ready to play yet from a physicallity stand point. He's probably an easy practice squad add at this point. 

Pankey has been getting reps at tackle and looks overmatched there. It might be different at Guard, but he's not a better Guard than McCray.

Patrick is a better Center than McCray.

If you're bringing 9, I think it's pretty easy your last 3 are Light/McCray/Patrick.

If you're bringing 8, pick the winner of McCray/Patrick. Personally I would take McCray.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Patrick is a better Center than McCray.

I think this might be The Decider between McCray and Patrick. GB really hasn't worked Elgton Jenkins enough at Center to earn the back up spot, at least not yet.
It appears they didn't want to give the rookie too much too fast and let him focus on OG. He has gotten some work at Center, but right now I think Lucas Patrick is the # 2 Center and that gets him the nod over McCray at cutdown time.