Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

On 8/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can write off de Beer and Nijman for the active roster. Both are and have performed terribly.

That leaves you with Light, McCray, Patrick, Madison, and Pankey for the last two/three spots.

Light is one of four guys on the roster with a tackle body who doesn't look completely lost and one of the other three is starting at Guard. He's an easy add.

Madison isn't physically ready to play yet from a physicallity stand point. He's probably an easy practice squad add at this point. 

Pankey has been getting reps at tackle and looks overmatched there. It might be different at Guard, but he's not a better Guard than McCray.

Patrick is a better Center than McCray.

If you're bringing 9, I think it's pretty easy your last 3 are Light/McCray/Patrick.

If you're bringing 8, pick the winner of McCray/Patrick. Personally I would take McCray.

Completely agree on this post.  Key points: 

1.  Keep 8, little purpose in keeping 9. 

2.  Choose who you like for PS from Madison, Nijman, and de Beer.  

3.  Game actives are obviously starters, Jenkins and Light.  

4.  #8, choose one from McCray/Patrick/Pankey.  

5.  I'd also personally choose McCray, but whichever.

6.  Jenkins C/G versatility, and Turner's G/T versatility, give the game-active-7 good game-day flexibility.  And possibly good quality as well.  

3 hours ago, craig said:

Completely agree on that post.  

It wasn't accurate. The hypercritical evaluations of Pankey and Nijman are way off. They've been uneven, which is normal,  but both have had a lot of success this camp. 

Pankey has a shot at a roster spot and improved once again in his 3rd camp. Nijman was almost always destined for the PS.

It'll be interesting if Jenkins wins the LG spot, which I think he should. I like McCray much better than Taylor as a backup. Last year, after the first half of the first game, McCray was better than Taylor anyway.

At LG: Jenkins & McCray > Jenkins & Taylor  > Taylor & Jenkins.

52 minutes ago, Donzo said:

It wasn't accurate. The hypercritical evaluations of Pankey and Nijman are way off. They've been uneven, which is normal,  but both have had a lot of success this camp. 

Pankey has a shot at a roster spot and improved once again in his 3rd camp. Nijman was almost always destined for the PS.

It'll be interesting if Jenkins wins the LG spot, which I think he should. I like McCray much better than Taylor as a backup. Last year, after the first half of the first game, McCray was better than Taylor anyway.

At LG: Jenkins & McCray > Jenkins & Taylor  > Taylor & Jenkins.

Yeah, none of this is right. There's a reason McCray was riding the bench last year. He wasn't good at all. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, none of this is right. There's a reason McCray was riding the bench last year. He wasn't good at all. 

I agree...last year was not good for McCray.

But let me ask you this....  If McCray is your last cut on the o-line, or last kept player, that line is in pretty good shape, isn't it?

I mean, he was a quality spot starter as a rookie.  We expected more last year, but I think he was injured some.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree...last year was not good for McCray.

But let me ask you this....  If McCray is your last cut on the o-line, or last kept player, that line is in pretty good shape, isn't it?

I mean, he was a quality spot starter as a rookie.  We expected more last year, but I think he was injured some.

This offensive line is fantastic. Having McCray as your #8 is a tremendous luxury.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This offensive line is fantastic. Having McCray as your #8 is a tremendous luxury.

Pretty nice to know that we have a stout Oline to go with a stout Dline.  It might be kind of cliche, but when you are strong in the trenches you should have a really good team.  Throw in an all star QB, and this team should be in the playoff hunt for sure.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why Patrick over McCray?

Is there a difference really? They are really equal to me, just comes down to personal preference. I prefer Patrick myself. Think he's the better true center and he's healthier overall. Would have absolutely no qualms if it was McCray instead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why Patrick over McCray?

Gute was asked the other day how they missed on Shepherd having talent coming out of college, why he has to be a tryout player. 

Gute said guys go under the radar for one reason or another. Then he mentioned Lucas Patrick, said he’s a guy we just missed but is a player. My impression was Gute thought highly of him. He’s a year younger than McCray. Seems a better athlete. So that’s why I bumped him up in my mind. 

Edited by boratt

4 hours ago, boratt said:

Gute was asked the other day how they missed on Shepherd having talent coming out of college, why he has to be a tryout player. 

Gute said guys go under the radar for one reason or another. Then he mentioned Lucas Patrick, said he’s a guy we just missed but is a player. My impression was Gute thought highly of him. He’s a year younger than McCray. Seems a better athlete. So that’s why I bumped him up in my mind. 

Fair enough.  Our depth overall on the O line is so much better this year than last year ... good to see but hope we don't need them.   

McCray and Patrick are UDFAs.  Jenkins is a second rounder.  Light?  UDFA.  Madison, 5'th rounder who didn't play for a year.

On the surface, it doesn't look good.  But McCray, Patrick and Light have been around enough and played enough to no longer look the part of an UDFA.

Credit to the coaching staff.

I've always been a Patrick fan.  Thought he was a hard worker with good enough technique.

Light, well, I didn't know anything about him.  I watched him a lot last game and was really impressed with his feet, hands and back.  He's got the technique that my old man would have loved.  Much more solid there than Spriggs was/is.

Imagine what this o-line staff with do with Jenkins and his natural ability.