Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

It will come down to the teams best 53.  McCray and Patrick both likely make that list.  My bey is we carry 9 O-Linemen, unless #9 is not one of the best 53.  I like Patrick over McCray because I do believe he is the better center and we had better be ready to go there.  Our starter is presently out with a bicep.  Also, I see more upside potential with Patrick.

O-Line is critical plus 1, and these warriors get injured.  It's an area where it's near impossible to scheme around if you have not ready for prime time players protecting 12.

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Is there a difference really? They are really equal to me, just comes down to personal preference. I prefer Patrick myself. Think he's the better true center and he's healthier overall. Would have absolutely no qualms if it was McCray instead.

This is an argument for keeping 9 because you're trying to decide which player edges out the other, yet both have proven to be players of quality depth at the moment. Also, bear in mind that Lane Taylor was in this group a few years ago and emerged as a starter.

51 minutes ago, 15412 said:

It will come down to the teams best 53.  McCray and Patrick both likely make that list.  My bey is we carry 9 O-Linemen, unless #9 is not one of the best 53.  I like Patrick over McCray because I do believe he is the better center and we had better be ready to go there.  Our starter is presently out with a bicep.  Also, I see more upside potential with Patrick.

O-Line is critical plus 1, and these warriors get injured.  It's an area where it's near impossible to scheme around if you have not ready for prime time players protecting 12.

This too is an argument to keep 9 and in regards to your last bit, this is why we specifically need to keep 9 given our injury history as a team...

Also, I'm hoping we can sneak Madison onto the practice squad at worst. It's just the right thing to do given what he's been through. The fact he's even here has been a moral victory for him and as human beings, we need to give him at least another TC. JMHO

Edited by Joe

26 minutes ago, boratt said:

I think we keep 8 who can play now. Light, Jenkins and Patrick or McCray.

i see a last spot going to a developmental guy, based on listening to Sten, I think they’ll give a redshirt year to Madison. 

How is Madison contract wise ?   Does last year count. Happier giving a guy a development slot if he has 3 years left afterwards than if he has two.

• Like 1

Bak, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Jenkins locks.  Unless we trade Taylor but for now he's on the 53.  Light on the 53.  That would be 7.  McCray and Patrick are the two in question.  We will keep one.  Will we keep both?   8, or 9.  Madison, Pankey, Coyle and anyone else are cut.  PS waiting for a couple O-Linemen.  One of them may not be on the team right now...

MLF glowing about his offensive line starters. Said he’s never been around such a smart, experienced group. Said it made the transition into his offense smooth and efficient because of them and the QB

OH MAN!! I’m getting excited for the year!!

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

8 is usually the magic number for OL, unless you have an OL9 that you really like.  On Game Days, you're suiting up your starting 5 plus two backups.  Usually a swing tackle (Alex Light) and a swing IOL (Elgton Jenkins), so your OL8 is usually a healthy scratch more often than not.  And if you're picking 9 OL, your OL9 is 99 times out of 100 going to be a healthy scratch.  If you're keeping a 9th OL, I think you're looking at a developmental type.  Not one of the high floor OL.  Does Lucas Patrick or Justin McCray have the upside to warrant carrying a 9th OL?  I think McCray is OL8, but I think if we're looking at OL9 being kept I think Patrick might be on the outside looking in.

Yes, what Wood said.  I believe Patrick has the upside.  It is possible that both (Patrick & McCray) warrant a spot on the 53.  it is possible a trade will be made concerning one of our O-Linemen.  We have some very nice depth there.  Taylor for a nice return or one of the lesser young guys for a similar return.  We do have needs...

34 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Interesting note... Listened to about 15 minutes of NFL talk sirosxm. They spent a couple minutes talking about the Packers & Patriots discussing trade scenarios for McCray or Patrick.

I think they may have the best RB group in the NFL.  It makes sense to trade an OL for a RB.  Lord knows we keep trying to find another competent RB.

Not sure what their depth is like at ILB.

But very interesting post.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think they may have the best RB group in the NFL.  It makes sense to trade an OL for a RB.  Lord knows we keep trying to find another competent RB.

Not sure what their depth is like at ILB.

But very interesting post.

For McCray or Patrick? 

They have 
Sony Michel
James White
Rex Burkhead
Brandon Bolden
Damien Harris (R)
James Devlin

Thats a lot of players but the Pats like their backs. Idk if McCray and Patrick alone get it done but maybe Bolden. Burkhead seems like a long shot but idk. NFL trades are weird. 
Personally I'd rather have Dexter. Game is too fast for him right now but he's an excellent fit for the offense if/when he works out. Vitale is our 3rd back anyway. 

ILB are mostly unpopular names the Pats wouldn't give up on. 

Shilique Calhoun maybe? OLB. He might be on the outside looking in. We could use another body on the EDGE. 

3 hours ago, boratt said:

MLF glowing about his offensive line starters. Said he’s never been around such a smart, experienced group. Said it made the transition into his offense smooth and efficient because of them and the QB

OH MAN!! I’m getting excited for the year!!

I hate reading stuff like this. It just means a crane will tip over and land on all of their legs.

And Cris Barnthouse is waiting for them in the Emergency Room with a rusty bonesaw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

Yes, what Wood said.  I believe Patrick has the upside.  It is possible that both (Patrick & McCray) warrant a spot on the 53.  it is possible a trade will be made concerning one of our O-Linemen.  We have some very nice depth there.  Taylor for a nice return or one of the lesser young guys for a similar return.  We do have needs...

I don't understand the desire to get Taylor out of the door. His value as either starting LG or key backup (and someone on that line is sure to get injured) is too high to let him go, whether in trade or released.

1 hour ago, festiveonion said:

For McCray or Patrick? 

They have 
Sony Michel
James White
Rex Burkhead
Brandon Bolden
Damien Harris (R)
James Devlin

Thats a lot of players but the Pats like their backs. Idk if McCray and Patrick alone get it done but maybe Bolden. Burkhead seems like a long shot but idk. NFL trades are weird. 
Personally I'd rather have Dexter. Game is too fast for him right now but he's an excellent fit for the offense if/when he works out. Vitale is our 3rd back anyway. 

ILB are mostly unpopular names the Pats wouldn't give up on. 

Shilique Calhoun maybe? OLB. He might be on the outside looking in. We could use another body on the EDGE. 

I'd take Bolden.  That 3rd RB preferably has value outside of just being a RB and I seem to think that Bolden has value in special teams.  

I mean, I'd rather for anyone else not named Devlin, but Bolden would be the one that makes the most sense.

I'd probably try to get Williams on the practice squad.  While he does have talent, I have to think that most NFL teams have a guy like Williams at the end of their roster too.