Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

8 is usually the magic number for OL, unless you have an OL9 that you really like.  On Game Days, you're suiting up your starting 5 plus two backups.  Usually a swing tackle (Alex Light) and a swing IOL (Elgton Jenkins), so your OL8 is usually a healthy scratch more often than not.  And if you're picking 9 OL, your OL9 is 99 times out of 100 going to be a healthy scratch.  If you're keeping a 9th OL, I think you're looking at a developmental type.  Not one of the high floor OL.  Does Lucas Patrick or Justin McCray have the upside to warrant carrying a 9th OL?  I think McCray is OL8, but I think if we're looking at OL9 being kept I think Patrick might be on the outside looking in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the rules of the PS changed to facilitate a specific number of in-game reps during the season while not infringing upon PS status? I could've sworn we had a few practice guys suit up at various times late in the last two seasons to get a handful of reps over the last month of the season to get them some experience. I believe perennial cellar-dwellers like the Jets have done the same, yeah?

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I seem to think that Bolden has value in special teams.  

Bolden was brought back because he was a core ST player. They'll carry all those players this year because Develin's the FB and their receiving corps is the worst Brady has ever had. Seriously it's Edelman followed by.....N'Keal Harry?...an unproven rookie. I was talking to a friend from Framingham, MA about this the other day and he's thinking there will be a TON of bubble screens and ground-n-pound this year out of that offense. They have no TE because Gronk is gone and Watson is suspended for PED's. They lost out on Jared Cook too.

14 hours ago, Joe said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the rules of the PS changed to facilitate a specific number of in-game reps during the season while not infringing upon PS status? I could've sworn we had a few practice guys suit up at various times late in the last two seasons to get a handful of reps over the last month of the season to get them some experience. I believe perennial cellar-dwellers like the Jets have done the same, yeah?

Bolden was brought back because he was a core ST player. They'll carry all those players this year because Develin's the FB and their receiving corps is the worst Brady has ever had. Seriously it's Edelman followed by.....N'Keal Harry?...an unproven rookie. I was talking to a friend from Framingham, MA about this the other day and he's thinking there will be a TON of bubble screens and ground-n-pound this year out of that offense. They have no TE because Gronk is gone and Watson is suspended for PED's. They lost out on Jared Cook too.

I checked out their depth chart and thought they were pretty good at WR.

Edelman, D. Thomas, N Harry, J Gordon, Dorsett, B Berios, Slater, Meredith

Given that White is going to catch passes, to me that isn't a bad bunch to have at all.  Seems like you have one very proven guy and a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets...tickets that have produced in the NFL already.  Patriot friend that I know is high on Berios, though I know nothing about him.  

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I checked out their depth chart and thought they were pretty good at WR.

Edelman, D. Thomas, N Harry, J Gordon, Dorsett, B Berios, Slater, Meredith

Given that White is going to catch passes, to me that isn't a bad bunch to have at all.  Seems like you have one very proven guy and a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets...tickets that have produced in the NFL already.  Patriot friend that I know is high on Berios, though I know nothing about him.  

Slater is a ST guy only, Thomas is over-the-hill and probably not going to make the team unless he's on PUP or something like that, and Gordon is the biggest scratch off ticket there is. Not sure I'd want to head into the season with that line up; even if I have James White.

45 minutes ago, Joe said:

Slater is a ST guy only, Thomas is over-the-hill and probably not going to make the team unless he's on PUP or something like that, and Gordon is the biggest scratch off ticket there is. Not sure I'd want to head into the season with that line up; even if I have James White.

Dorsett has talent and has been there a while.

Meredith has produced in the league, has health issues.

As stated D Thomas is an over the hill vet.  Maybe he has one in him.

Between those three, you hope to get a solid year out of one of them.

Edelman is what he is and that is good.

Then you have the boom bust of Gordon.

And Harry is going to get playing time.

It isn't all that bad.  Especially with their QB.

Bakh 27 Taylor 29 Lindsley 28 Turner 27 Bulaga 30

The starter with the least number of starts under his belt is Billy Turner with 25 starts. Turner was a bit of a late bloomer, who’s just hitting his stride but is in an ideal situation locked between two above average to borderline Probowl lineman.

None or our starters are rehabbing serious injury. None of our starters missed significant amounts of camp time. 

All 5 of our guys have had a chance to play next to each other all offseason and should be on the same page come week 1.

Our 6, 7 and 8 guys can all play. 

I like our chances to have a top tier offensive line this year, right out of the gate and throughout the season.

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

In the long run, it looks like we have or replacements for Bulaga (Light) and Taylor (Jenkins) eventually maybe even Linsley (Patrick)

Obviously gonna have to keep drafting and developing because nothing lasts forever, but AR looks like he’s set up with a decent OL as he winds down his career. 

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

McCray vs Patrick.

I've liked Patrick better, but I always thought the Packers had McCray ahead of Patrick. I no longer think that, I believe Patrick is ahead of McCray on the Packers depth chart.

The fact that McCray has been forced to play some OT, and put in a gallant effort each time, gives him some sparkle. This year there is some depth at OT and better emergency options available. So, now it comes down to who's better at OG/OC, that has been Patrick.

I like both, but Patrick has always been the better center and is now probably better at OG, too. I look at the last years Falcon game when Taylor and Bell where both out. McCray played at LG and Patrick at RG, both played well. What tells me Patrick is ahead of McCray is simple. Patrick finished the season ahead of McCray at RG when Bell was IRed, and played well. Now add in the love Gute gives Patrick, I'm thinking  he's definitely ahead of McCray.

Edited by Donzo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I like both, but Patrick has always been the better center and is now probably better at OG, too. I look at the last years Falcon game when Taylor and Bell where both out. McCray played at RG and Patrick at LG, both played well. What tells me Patrick is ahead of McCray is simple. Patrick finished the season ahead of McCray at LG when Bell was IRed, and played well. Then add in the love Gute gives Patrick, I'm thinking  he's now definitely ahead of McCray.

Yep. Patrick a year younger. Patrick will need his second contract the same year Linsley turns 30 and his contract runs out. I can even see Patrick starting for one contract at center the way Lane Taylor did at guard for us. 

Edited by boratt

On 8/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, Donzo said:

Interesting note... Listened to about 15 minutes of NFL talk sirosxm. They spent a couple minutes talking about the Packers & Patriots discussing trade scenarios for McCray or Patrick.

Well, this appears to be dead... The Patriots just made two trades for OL-men.

2 hours ago, boratt said:

In the long run, it looks like we have or replacements for Bulaga (Light) and Taylor (Jenkins) eventually maybe even Linsley (Patrick)

Obviously gonna have to keep drafting and developing because nothing lasts forever, but AR looks like he’s set up with a decent OL as he winds down his career. 

**** no

On 8/27/2019 at 2:03 PM, 15412 said:

Yes, what Wood said.  I believe Patrick has the upside.  It is possible that both (Patrick & McCray) warrant a spot on the 53.  it is possible a trade will be made concerning one of our O-Linemen.  We have some very nice depth there.  Taylor for a nice return or one of the lesser young guys for a similar return. 

Yep, that's it. It's where we're at.