Shanedorf

Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

On 7/14/2019 at 9:18 PM, Shanedorf said:

Extremely Unofficial Depth Chart

OT   David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Billy Turner, Jason Spriggs, Adam Pankey, Alex Light, Gerhard de Beer, Yosh Nijman.

OG  Lane Taylor, Billy Turner, Elgton Jenkins, Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, Cole Madison, Larry Williams, Anthony Coyle

OC  Corey Linsley, Lucas Patrick, Elgton Jenkins, Cole Madison

And here's the Big Ugly tasked with coaching the Big Uglies

hnvjcontzjr6e4ucavsi.jpg

Adam Stenavich

https://www.packers.com/team/coaches-roster/adam-stenavich

Stenavich doesn’t have a ‘beat your a**’ scary look, but he does have a ‘don’t check under the floorboards’ scary look. 

16 hours ago, Golfman said:

I think those 8 make it and possibly a ninth in McCray. 

I like Patrick as the 9th OL/backup center... McCray doesn't really fit the new OL system.

9 hours ago, Donzo said:

I like Patrick as the 9th OL/backup center... McCray doesn't really fit the new OL system.

I want to like Patrick but he had chances to win starting job in past and could never take the leap. I'm guessing Jenkins is the back up center so we could also be going with 8 offensive linemen. I think that is a mistake. 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:39 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

No reason to sit Taylor and change up a left side that's working very well. Taylor has a clear talent lean on the other guys in the group except for Jenkins, and Jenkins will be a rookie.

Next year is where the competition gets interesting with Taylor heading into free agency after that season. Hard to imagine the Packers writing that check.

Taylor probably has the inside track to remain the starter, but if you had to pick one guy out of the entire OL group that is the worst scheme fit for this offense, wouldn't you almost have to pick Taylor or at least put him damn close to the bottom? I think at best, he's one year and done. Have to believe Jenkins was drafted to start at LG by year 2, at least expectation-wise, unless the plan is to kick Turner out to RT after year 1 which hopefully isnt the case.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Taylor probably has the inside track to remain the starter, but if you had to pick one guy out of the entire OL group that is the worst scheme fit for this offense, wouldn't you almost have to pick Taylor or at least put him damn close to the bottom? I think at best, he's one year and done. Have to believe Jenkins was drafted to start at LG by year 2, at least expectation-wise, unless the plan is to kick Turner out to RT after year 1 which hopefully isnt the case.

I mean, in the sense of the run game, yes he's the worst fit. On the other hand, pass blocking isn't real scheme dependent and that's where these guys make their cash. 

Even if Jenkins does take that job next year, I'm sure as hell keeping Taylor around as the 4th interior guy for the 4.5ish million it costs. Bad enough to replace Bulaga, can't be struggling with depth too.

Could easily see Turner play rt next year with Taylor and Jenkins starting inside.

So many of you underrating Lane Taylor... it is highly possible he's a better player than Billy Turner. I'm not making any claims because I want Turner to be a good + fit for us but the flak Taylor gets here is silly. The guy has been solid and has even gotten us out of shambles at LT. Plus, he's a grandmaster chef on the grill!

29 minutes ago, boratt said:

Could easily see Turner play rt next year with Taylor and Jenkins starting inside.

This may be the plan considering the $ we paid him, not to mention Bulaga isn't made of steel... 

Posted (edited)

I’m also a Taylor fan. I’ve read he wasn’t quite ready to start the season last year, so it took him a couple months to play his game. He played well, like we’re used to from him, down the stretch. 

Edited by boratt

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, in the sense of the run game, yes he's the worst fit. On the other hand, pass blocking isn't real scheme dependent and that's where these guys make their cash. 

Even if Jenkins does take that job next year, I'm sure as hell keeping Taylor around as the 4th interior guy for the 4.5ish million it costs. Bad enough to replace Bulaga, can't be struggling with depth too.

In this scenario you'd keep a back up interior offensive lineman for 4.5 million a year? I think that is the epitome of bad cap management IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Golfman said:

In this scenario you'd keep a back up interior offensive lineman for 4.5 million a year? I think that is the epitome of bad cap management IMO. 

It's 4.5 million (2% of the cap) for a single season. There's a good chance one of your three interior lineman will miss games, so he's likely going to start a few games.

27 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Assuming Spriggs is the starter on a mid level contract at RT and Elgton and Turner are your G's, I'd see no problem with the cap from the OL room. You wouldnt be saving money from the group but there'd be no issue either. You can definitely get buy paying a guy you know can still play for 1 year. Bigger question would be if Lane would be amenable to that or if he'd request cut/trade.

Posted (edited)

Cool article on Packers OL and how they rose to the occasion vs the bears back in 2017 - speaks to the versatility of these guys and a great job by Campen getting them ready on a short week

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-lane-taylor-a-resounding-success-in-first-start-at/article_56ee455f-70d8-5a47-a868-91acb2727296.html

Aaron Rodgers was in awe.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback knew early in the week his cobbled-together offensive line was going to consist of center Corey Linsley and four guards — including starting left guard Lane Taylor, who’d be shifting to the all-important left tackle position, a place he’d pretty much never manned in his years of football. And while Rodgers went into Thursday night’s game against the Chicago Bears with hope, he also — truth be told — went in with doubts.

Then, something remarkable happened. The Bears won the toss and opted to give the Packers the ball first — perhaps, to see what their ramshackle line was made of. Ten plays — five runs, five passes, including a 26-yarder to tight end Martellus Bennett on third-and-1 — and 75 yards later, Rodgers’ all-white Color Rush uniform was still sparkling clean, and the Packers were in the end zone on a 5-yard Rodgers-to-Davante Adams touchdown pass.

Afterward, someone asked the quarterback when he realized that things were going to be OK, that the line’s three fill-in starters — Taylor at left tackle, Lucas Patrick at Taylor’s usual left guard spot and Justin McCray at right tackle — were going to be able to get the job done.

“The first drive. We came out, ran the ball effectively, and then, the protection was really good,” Rodgers replied, unable to hide his astonishment. “We gave up two sacks (all night), both probably coverage sacks. That was pretty impressive, those guys. A fantastic job.

“(I was) really proud of Lucas; I’ve kind of been in his corner for a long time — I just enjoy his approach, his attitude, the way he plays. Justin at right tackle did a fantastic job. And Lane, the versatility there, never really having played left tackle before, to come out and play so well … I’m just really proud of those guys.”

He wasn’t the only one.

“You look at Lane Taylor,” McCarthy said. “I mean, he had a jog-through on Tuesday and one move-the-ball drill on Wednesday to get ready to play left tackle. “Those guys didn’t even blink. I mean, there were never any questions. Lane just stepped out there, he took the practice reps and I thought those guys did a heck of a job.

Edited by Shanedorf