Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

21 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not disputing he can play in this league. I'm just not certain we'd keep him at 5 million as a back up. That doesn't seem sound fiscally, given we need to get Martinez done and King and Clark would be wise too IMO. 

Of course, I'm also thinking we are taking an OT in this upcoming draft with or without a Bulaga extension. 

I get your logic.  100%.  

I think whether or not Lane is back has more to do with Cole Madison's development than it does a $5M cap charge.  That $5M is a lot of "sleep" insurance on the OL.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I get your logic.  100%.  

I think whether or not Lane is back has more to do with Cole Madison's development than it does a $5M cap charge.  That $5M is a lot of "sleep" insurance on the OL.

I actually think Lucas Patrick is ahead of him on the depth chart. Might not be next year however.

Another question, is it easier to find a center or a guard? Might sound crazy but Jenkins is a center by trade and next year is Linsley's last of his contract too. I like LInsley a lot, but he'd be 30 when his next deal is due. 

Just spit balling and have no basis other than for discussion sake. 

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I still think that Lane would be great depth, but I can see taking his cap space and hoping that Madison or Patrick or some other young kid can be a capable back up.

Jenkins is clearly a better player, but Lane is no slouch either.  He can start in the league.

With a $5M cap hit, it's hard to justify him sitting on the bench.

27 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I actually think Lucas Patrick is ahead of him on the depth chart. Might not be next year however.

Another question, is it easier to find a center or a guard? Might sound crazy but Jenkins is a center by trade and next year is Linsley's last of his contract too. I like LInsley a lot, but he'd be 30 when his next deal is due. 

Just spit balling and have no basis other than for discussion sake. 

It would be interesting to get a candid conversation about where the Packers view Elgton Jenkins' future position.  By all accounts, he's holding down that LG spot very well but he's played majority of his career snaps at Mississippi State as a center.  Is this a situation where they actually view him as a guard moving forward, or do they transition him to center at some point?

Just now, CWood21 said:

It would be interesting to get a candid conversation about where the Packers view Elgton Jenkins' future position.  By all accounts, he's holding down that LG spot very well but he's played majority of his career snaps at Mississippi State as a center.  Is this a situation where they actually view him as a guard moving forward, or do they transition him to center at some point?

Much harder to find a good Guard than a good Center

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

@Packerraymond

Centers can be undersized. That makes a massive difference.

No pun intended right! :) 

If that is the case do we have Linsley's replacement in Patrick Lucas already on the roster? If we can consistently get him to snap the ball to the quarterback rather than the running back he play OK the other week. I know that is one small random sample. 

Edited by Golfman

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

No pun intended right! :) 

If that is the case do we have Linsley's replacement in Patrick Lucas already on the roster? If we can consistently get him to snap the ball to the quarterback rather than the running back he play OK the other week. I know that is one small random sample. 

That question depends on how important the Center position is to you. Patrick isn't going to kill you, but nobody is going to confuse him for Linsley either.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think that depends on where they find themselves at center in 2021 and if a guy like Madison makes a leap where you are very comfortable with him starting at guard. Does that conversation take place in 2020 and we let Linsley go for cap reasons knowing we don't intend to give a 30 year old the extension he's going to want and deserve. The latter seems a risky proposition without knowing you have Jenkins replacement locked in at LG. Taylor is OK, but he was not good early this year. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That question depends on how important the Center position is to you. Patrick isn't going to kill you, but nobody is going to confuse him for Linsley either.

I have no idea what Patrick's upside is at either guard or center but believe game action will make him a better player. What that turns out to be is debatable for sure. Is he Tretter or Evan Dietrick-Smith? I'd be OK with Tretter but not EDS. 

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

With a $5M cap hit, it's hard to justify him sitting on the bench.

Is that really a high price tag to pay for a #6 OL? I say no. 

As long as OL 7-9/10 are on rookie deals, then sure!