Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

11 hours ago, Chili said:

...we still went ahead and got rid of Daniels. We viewed him as replaceable and when you really think about it Taylor is also replaceable. He is just a JAG in NFL terms. He isn't better now compared to Sitton or Lang in their primes. If we had no problems replacing Sitton and Lang then i'm sure we will be absolutely fine replacing Taylor.

It leads back to LaFleur and the type of offence he wants to implement. Taylor is simply a bad fit just like Daniels was a bad fit for Pettine's defence.

Lots of analogies going on here, but each case is individual.  

Daniels is $8.3, Taylor is $3.8. 

5 OL play every snap; on average ~2.5 DL play per snap, and with Z and Gary it may be even less this year.  

VORP.  1.  When Sitton got cut, they believed Taylor was ready, and that Sitton's VORP over Taylor was modest.  (I didn't believe it at the time, but in that case management eval was validated.)  2.  I think they see a similar situation with Lowry/Adams/Lancaster (and Brown and Looney....); that Daniels' VORP is limited.  Much skepticism on the board; we'll see whether management eval will be vindicated this time.   3.  I see a very different VORP situation for Taylor. 

Maybe Jenkins could replace him, but then who's going to replace the first injury?  For a position group that uses 5 guys every game, the injury-probability is proportionally higher than smaller-use groups. 

Forcing Jenkins right into the starting lineup, and thus forcing Spriggs/Light/Madison/Patrick/McKnight to produce next man up, that seems irresponsibly risky to me.  Yes, I'm hopeful that Light and Madison look really promising, and end up being capable NFL anti-awful guys in due time.  But I'm really hesitant to assume that this season.  

• Like 2

Larry McCarren with some positive words for Alex Light and Cole Madison. 

Bakhtiari

Bulaga

Light

Taylor

Turner

Jenkins

Madison

Lindsley

One or two spots for Spriggs, Pankey, McCray, Nijman, De Beer, Coyle

If one of the new UDFA guys makes a name for himself, we might not have to tolerate another year of Jason Spriggs. 

IMO, Spriggs is going to have to screw up real bad, or get hurt real bad to not make the roster.  He's on it before Alex Light or Lane Taylor.  He costs $1.5m this year, which is cheap for a swing tackle.

Like there are absolutely teams Spriggs could start for, and they aren't all bad teams.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3

Ok good I'm not the only one. I'd be a bit nervous with Spriggs as a #1 just because he hasn't done it yet, but he's been solid as a swing OT, and I agree many teams have worse starters out there. Not saying he's a lock, but he'd have to struggle AND someone would have to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

From Eye in the Sky twitter

Cole Madison. Guard/RT. 6’5 307. 34” arms. A battler. Scrappy. What he doesn’t have in technique he makes up for with his will.
Sometimes it’s better to have a fighter than a technician. Hr needs time just like TJ Lang.

usatsi_12791130.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

25 pounds is a big difference. Center and Guard are as different as Guard and Tackle when you start looking at bodies. 

Its really kind of amazing when you think about it
Linsley is a Center-only and has a Center body. Taylor is a Guard-only and has a Guard body
Then you have guys like Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, Elgton Jenkins and even Cole Madison where GB asks them to do both -
So they have to girth up to play guard, but that hinders their play at Center

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Well you probably aren't going to keep a pure backup C on your roster so you are just asking them to prep to be backups. When a starting C is needed, I'd rather find a new one than slide a G.

The film I saw of Jenkins in college showed me a kid who has Pouncey like athleticism for a center.  

I honestly think he can play all 5 positions on the line.  I really don't know which position would be his best, though. 

I saw him snap balls, then pull to an edge and get ahead of everyone.  Great movement skills.  Pretty darned good power.  

• Like 2