Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

On 7/27/2019 at 10:27 PM, craig said:

Lots of analogies going on here, but each case is individual.  

Daniels is $8.3, Taylor is $3.8. 

5 OL play every snap; on average ~2.5 DL play per snap, and with Z and Gary it may be even less this year.  

VORP.  1.  When Sitton got cut, they believed Taylor was ready, and that Sitton's VORP over Taylor was modest.  (I didn't believe it at the time, but in that case management eval was validated.)  2.  I think they see a similar situation with Lowry/Adams/Lancaster (and Brown and Looney....); that Daniels' VORP is limited.  Much skepticism on the board; we'll see whether management eval will be vindicated this time.   3.  I see a very different VORP situation for Taylor. 

Maybe Jenkins could replace him, but then who's going to replace the first injury?  For a position group that uses 5 guys every game, the injury-probability is proportionally higher than smaller-use groups. 

Forcing Jenkins right into the starting lineup, and thus forcing Spriggs/Light/Madison/Patrick/McKnight to produce next man up, that seems irresponsibly risky to me.  Yes, I'm hopeful that Light and Madison look really promising, and end up being capable NFL anti-awful guys in due time.  But I'm really hesitant to assume that this season.  

I like the post.

The only situation I can see Taylor cut is in a scenario Jenkins grades out above Taylor and Madison or Patrick show they aren’t significant Byron Bell negative players. We already know Spriggs can’t play G  at a high level or he’d have been given a shot.

Lafleur was asked today who stood out at family night. He mentioned Billy Turner. That’s exciting!!!!! I was a little worried that he was another Spriggs but it sounds like he’s making a name for himself here! 

Elgton Jenkins getting some 1st team reps at LG. Would be nice if Turner turned into a high level guard and then Jenkins is the rare rookie that that takes the reigns in year one and shines. I still expect Taylor to start the year. Injuries will happen. Jenkins will get his shot. A few extra weeks to get acclimated to the NFL will be good for him and any rookie. Plus it gives his body a bit of a break so he doesn’t have to play a 16-20 game season as a rookie and wear down. 

On 7/31/2019 at 9:18 AM, vegas492 said:

I honestly think he can play all 5 positions on the line.  I really don't know which position would be his best, though. 

Maybe in a pinch, but I have no desire to see him play significant snaps at tackle.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe in a pinch, but I have no desire to see him play significant snaps at tackle.

I agree.

But let's talk about that next year after he's put on a little more NFL muscle.

I think he's got the wheels for it.  I don't want him there, but I think he could get you out of a game, or through a game with the proper prep.

But...understand that comes from me watching some tape of him as a CENTER and doing things that normal centers (not named Pouncey) just don't do.  

If I had to prognosticate...he has the potential to be a very good to elite guard.  I think he could be one of the top centers in the game.  At tackle?  I think average starter is about it.  So don't get me wrong, I think he's best inside, but I think he has the ability to sub out if needed.

• Like 1

http://Turner keeps his head on a swivel

Boy howdy, I like Bill Turner. 

I know it seems trite to say that he comes ready to work and all that, but he projects this articulate confidence wrapped in an aura of being his own man topped off with that dread pile top knot. It makes me want to get in line with the kids to see if he’ll ride my bike to practice. And I’m usually not a fan boy. If I see a player out in public I’m usually like “S’up, James.” With this guy I’d probably want to express some admiration for how he rolls—and he hasn’t played a snap of regular season football yet. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

Regarding Turner....Love that he's a professional.  He's come to this camp to work, not rest on this contract.  He's earned praise from Rodgers.  He's sticking up for teammates and defending their actions in the media.  And...the more I read/see/hear the more I fee like he is  going to be a tough, physical player.

And we need more of those.

I can't help but think that the additions of Turner, Z Smith and P Smith are really going to change our culture.  In other words, I think those three are going to take us from a perceived "soft" team to a 'tough" team.

At least that is what I hope.  Honestly, that plays nicely with Jaire's attitude and Rodger's chip, too.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I'm really enthused about the positive feedback on Turner, and feel like Jenkins is starting to get more positives, too.  

One camp hesitation is that some of the blocks that get media reports fired up are on running plays.  Which matter, of course.  But I don't feel like I know as much about how Turner and Jenkins look in pass protection.  

I also think 1-on-1's are fun, and the ability to win individual matchups is huge. 

Still, a lot of broken plays are come from blitzes and stunts when guys don't know who to block.  In a sense blocking is easier when you know you've got one guy to block; no distractions.  A whole lot of motion and distractions in real games, that may distract from even being able to block the one guy.

Hope the line is great in real games.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Must feel very confident about Light andddd....? 

Honestly if they have Light, that's enough.  Don't think there's enough tackle talent to be worth two back-up spots, and if you need two back-ups to play things are about to head south anyway.  They can PS squad one of the 3rd string guys, whichever they feel better about, and then you have guys like Turner or Jenkins who could conceivably kick out in an emergency situation.

• Like 1

I saw Turner at LT today. I think Light is first T off the bench. I think turner moves over after that and Jenkins slides inside. After that, probably McCray and Patrick come in with some shuffling.

Edited by boratt

42 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Honestly if they have Light, that's enough.  Don't think there's enough tackle talent to be worth two back-up spots, and if you need two back-ups to play things are about to head south anyway.  They can PS squad one of the 3rd string guys, whichever they feel better about, and then you have guys like Turner or Jenkins who could conceivably kick out in an emergency situation.

Maybe you're right, but I thought Spriggs gave us some quality depth at T. He made me feel more confident about it, anyway.