Clowney Franchise Tag

Golfman

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

How do teams get away with mis-tagging a guy to get a lower number. Clowney played over 90% of his snaps on the defensive line, yet the Texans tag him as a LB to get a lower price. This needs to be fixed in next CBA. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27194822/clowney-get-deal-deadline

I'm just waiting for a team (let's be real, the Patriots) to have a kicker fake an injury (or actually get murdered, whatever), designate their franchise tag pick as the backup that week, get them one field goal attempt, and then try to argue the player is being franchise tagged as a kicker.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Golfman said:

How do teams get away with mis-tagging a guy to get a lower number. Clowney played over 90% of his snaps on the defensive line, yet the Texans tag him as a LB to get a lower price. This needs to be fixed in next CBA. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27194822/clowney-get-deal-deadline

He can appeal the designation.  Jared Cook did it to the Titans a few years back.  He was franchised as a tight end, but over 50% of his snaps were played as a WR, so he appealed it, and I think he was going to win and the Titans released the tag IIRC.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

@ET80 does Houston run more 4-3 or 3-4?

Positions really need to be reclassified as EDGE and DI. It's more accurate...

Texans play a 34, and Clowney lines up as that "Over" OLB spot. If you took a birds eye view, he'd look like a stand up 43 DE.

This is another wonderful development following a great off-season. If this was the end game, it would have been better served to trade him at the draft.

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

So, that initial designation on his fifth year option is going to establish the position of record as DE, right?

I have to think Clowney is going to win this.

On another note - trading Clowney for Nick Caserio? Win/win, right? xD

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Sounds like the Texans understand the time value of money.  Even though they know they'll lose and have to pay out eventually, they know to hold onto that money as long as possible.  Can't really blame them.  Up to the NFLPA to do something about it in the next negotiation if they want to avoid this issue going forward.

9 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Sounds like the Texans understand the time value of money.  Even though they know they'll lose and have to pay out eventually, they know to hold onto that money as long as possible.  Can't really blame them.  Up to the NFLPA to do something about it in the next negotiation if they want to avoid this issue going forward.

I dont know.....sounds like the rules are in place. You're always going to have some folks try to stretch and/or bend them - but so long as its ultimately adjudicated properly - the rules did their job.

From the little bit that I've read of this situation the organization is trying to keyhole Clowney into a position he spends the least amount of time playing. Should be easy to get ironed out actually.....so long as the rules are applied.