Clowney Franchise Tag

Golfman

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I... HAVE SUMMONED... FRETGOD!!!!!!

I AM NOW A LEVEL SIX SUMMONER!!!

A least you're not the bard that tries to seduce anyone and everything he comes to because he just maxed out his charisma.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The franchise tag always feel like a hostage tactic, they never negotiate in good faith when applying it. 

I don't necessarily agree with this - DeMarcus Lawrence got a deal, Frank Clark got a deal, Dee Ford got a deal. (Granted, Clark and Ford got their deals from teams that didn't tag them, and Lawrence got one after his 2nd tag).

It's specific to teams, from what I've seen. The Texans have tagged two players in their short history - Clowney and CB Dunta Robinson. Robinson left as soon as he could. Pretty sure Clowney will, too.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's on my off days.

DM: "Your party encounters a large dragon."

ET: "I  try to seduce the dragon."  *rolls*  "Crit 20!  Eat it!"

DM: "You have seduced the dragon.  Now roll your dexterity to see how much damage you take."

ET: "Damage I take?!"

DM: "It's a male dragon."

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Averaged less than 2 tackles per game. Maybe a little less nerd stuff and a little more football next time Terry.

You better be including his stats under his pseudonym "Cheeseburger Eddie" too.

PhonyFrigidAnt-small.gif

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't necessarily agree with this - DeMarcus Lawrence got a deal, Frank Clark got a deal, Dee Ford got a deal. (Granted, Clark and Ford got their deals from teams that didn't tag them, and Lawrence got one after his 2nd tag).

It's specific to teams, from what I've seen. The Texans have tagged two players in their short history - Clowney and CB Dunta Robinson. Robinson left as soon as he could. Pretty sure Clowney will, too.

Well I said feels like, obviously it’s always case by case. 

However you did note that the three you mentioned were paid by other teams and the 3rd was tagged twice. 

The NFLPA has to get rid of the tag in the new CBA. 

Clowney should be preparing for camp and a potential super bowl run for you guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The NFLPA has to get rid of the tag in the new CBA. 

I don't think they need to get rid of it, but it should be altered a bit - I like the idea of average of top five players regardless of position. So in essence, you're paying QB money to anyone you choose to tag.

I'd say another interesting add on? To use the tag, you have to give up the pick from the round you drafted the player if you don't have a deal in place before the draft. In the case of Clowney, tagging him would cost the Texans their 1st round pick, Lawrence would have cost the Cowboys their 2nd round pick, Frank Clark would cost the Seahawks their 2nd round pick, etc. That way, you have a pretty serious implication if you don't hammer out a new deal and/or trade the tagged player - in many cases, you lose a valuable pick. (In essence, do like most Fantasy keeper leagues). You have to be very judicious on who you tag, or enter into negotiations with pressure on the teams' side to get a deal done (which is exactly why nobody on the NFL side will go for it).

Poop or get off the pot, NFL front offices.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don't think they need to get rid of it, but it should be altered a bit - I like the idea of average of top five players regardless of position. So in essence, you're paying QB money to anyone you choose to tag.

I'd prefer something along the lines of the franchise tag is any of 3 contract offers to a player: 1, 2, or 3 years, fully guaranteed, at the top 5 annual salaries.

Most teams use the 1 year to set a baseline and as leverage to limit the guaranteed money. This ends that. To use Le'Veon Bell as an example, the Steelers would have ended up offering him a maximum of around $45MM guaranteed. So if a player is just looking for long term security as a starting point for a new deal, it's there. Likewise, if a player wants to max out the AAV, they just take the 1 year option.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

A least you're not the bard that tries to seduce anyone and everything he comes to because he just maxed out his charisma.

To be fair, this is @ET80 with a maxed charisma. Just maxed for him. It’s pretty middling for everyone else.

• Like 1