Clowney Franchise Tag

Golfman

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In the only recent uncapped year, only 2 owners went over what the cap was projected to be (Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder), and the other owners made sure the league punished them ruthlessly in the upcoming capped years as a result.

The owners absolutely want the salary cap. They negotiate like hell for it every single CBA, and try to make it as restrictive as possible. They'd lock the players out for trying to get rid of it. 

But then, in the years between CBA negotiations teams say "oh well we love the player, but the mystic salary cap from the salary cap gods means we won't pay him", and fans act like that isn't the teams' own doing entirely. 

I’m not arguing they couldn’t do away with it or it isn’t their own doing, I’m just saying it serves more than one purpose.

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're conflating the owner's desire to reduce cost with their desire to have a competitively balanced product.

Not at all, Im saying the cap does both of those things.  I’ll readily admit though that the owners care far more about the costs than the product though in most cases.  

My only point is the cap has a point OTHER THAN saving owners money.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not at all, Im saying the cap does both of those things.  I’ll readily admit though that the owners care far more about the costs than the product though in most cases.  

My only point is the cap has a point OTHER THAN saving owners money.

And I'm saying that's like giving Ted Bundy credit for being an environmentalist. Technically, he's got a great carbon footprint, but that wasn't the point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t agree with what they’re doing in this situation, but from a broader perspective teams can’t just hand out cash without discretion, just because they can.  It’s a business and they’ll run it as such

I don't disagree with your premise, but in the specific case of the Texans - they're on the opposite end of the spectrum, withholding money to the point to where it's a detriment of the team:

- They've let G Brandon Brooks leave as a FA, where he developed into an All Pro OL in Philly. (One of a few Houston transplants to Philly that carved out a nice career there).

- They let All Pro CB AJ Bouye walk down to Jacksonville, where he's continues to play at an elite level (for a division rival, no less).

- They let S Glover Quin walk, where he signed a big deal and lived up to it as a member of the Detroit Lions. (Granted, they tried to pay Ed Reed to fill that gap, and that was a disaster).

- They opt to fill starting positions with "experienced backups" (CB Aaron Colvin, OL Senio Kelemete, OT Seantrell Henderson, TE Daniel Fells) with the belief they could play well as full time starters if given the opportunity. For the most part, they can't.

The money is/was there to get a guy like Roger Saffold, Daryl Williams, Juwaan James, Trent Brown, Malcolm Butler etc. The Texans simply chose to shop in the discount aisle, hoping to find a a clearance item that will fit their needs - despite rolling over a ton of money from not signing Bouye, Brooks, etc.

Is it really fiscally responsible to let great players walk for no compensation (outside of a 3rd round pick in a future draft) and then fill in significant needs with spot players you hope can "outkick the coverage" they've established for themselves in their time in the league? If you've noticed, this is all around some specific position groups with Houston - positions that are widely believed to be holding back the Texans from "Super Bowl contender" status. When you're close to getting in that discussion (with a dynamic QB on a rookie deal, to boot) do you pull back or do you open the checkbook?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

When you're close to getting in that discussion (with a dynamic QB on a rookie deal, to boot) do you pull back or do you open the checkbook?

The answer is that you cut expenses to the bone so that you can share really good profitability with potential owners, then sell that team for more than you should. Get yourself an extra $25MM, and throw that right in the 400 foot yacht fund.

Do you want them to have to settle for the 300 foot yacht ET? You bastard. The 300 foot yacht's helicopter pad doesn't even have proper cushioning, so sometimes the landings are bumpy.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree with your premise, but in the specific case of the Texans - they're on the opposite end of the spectrum, withholding money to the point to where it's a detriment of the team:

Is it really fiscally responsible to let great players walk for no compensation (outside of a 3rd round pick in a future draft) and then fill in significant needs with spot players you hope can "outkick the coverage" they've established for themselves in their time in the league? If you've noticed, this is all around some specific position groups with Houston - positions that are widely believed to be holding back the Texans from "Super Bowl contender" status. When you're close to getting in that discussion (with a dynamic QB on a rookie deal, to boot) do you pull back or do you open the checkbook?

No, I completely agree with you (and specified I didn’t think it applied in this situation originally), this is the time for Houston to go all in but keep an eye towards upcoming deals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The answer is that you cut expenses to the bone so that you can share really good profitability with potential owners, then sell that team for more than you should. Get yourself an extra $25MM, and throw that right in the 400 foot yacht fund.

Do you want them to have to settle for the 300 foot yacht ET? You bastard. The 300 foot yacht's helicopter pad doesn't even have proper cushioning, so sometimes the landings are bumpy.

The real question, is a 300 foot boat even a real yacht?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And I'm saying that's like giving Ted Bundy credit for being an environmentalist. Technically, he's got a great carbon footprint, but that wasn't the point.

I'm guessing you meant Ted Kczyinski, the unibomber, not Ted Bundy the serial killer of 19 women.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Both really.

How much did Bundy help by eliminating the would be carbon footprints of 19 people?

Bundy is the better analogy because the environment had nothing to do with his motivations, whereas Kaczynski was I think kind of interested in preserving the environment. 

I don't even want to give the NFL owners credit indirectly for caring about competitive balance. It means 0 to them.

• Like 1

This thread got really weird...

Kind of like the rah rah motivational character coach guy from the Patriots advancing in power Game of Thrones style in Houston.

There is no worse run organization from GM through coach than the 2019 Texans.

To go to war with Clowney over 1.2 million dollars is pure insanity.

Other players on the team will hate you for this.

Its a shame since the actual roster of football players is pretty good.

Too bad they have no chance without any real leadership.

Edited by SkippyX

On 19/07/2019 at 12:55 AM, ET80 said:

- They've let G Brandon Brooks leave as a FA, where he developed into an All Pro OL in Philly. (One of a few Houston transplants to Philly that carved out a nice career there).

- They let All Pro CB AJ Bouye walk down to Jacksonville, where he's continues to play at an elite level (for a division rival, no less).

- They let S Glover Quin walk, where he signed a big deal and lived up to it as a member of the Detroit Lions. (Granted, they tried to pay Ed Reed to fill that gap, and that was a disaster).

- They opt to fill starting positions with "experienced backups" (CB Aaron Colvin, OL Senio Kelemete, OT Seantrell Henderson, TE Daniel Fells) with the belief they could play well as full time starters if given the opportunity. For the most part, they can't.

The money is/was there to get a guy like Roger Saffold, Daryl Williams, Juwaan James, Trent Brown, Malcolm Butler etc. The Texans simply chose to shop in the discount aisle, hoping to find a a clearance item that will fit their needs - despite rolling over a ton of money from not signing Bouye, Brooks, etc.

tbf if the owner is a cheapass, that’s really a shackle you guys have a lot of other teams don’t

because obviously it’s not the fault of the hard cap that your owner doesn’t want to spend to it, but by the same token, spending habits are not likely to change so unless cal is a bit more loose than his dad it’s likely to unfortunately continue... it’s hard for the fans to put pressure on an owner to spend more money especially when large parts of the sports media industrial complex enjoy carrying the water for the owners

5 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

tbf if the owner is a cheapass, that’s really a shackle you guys have a lot of other teams don’t

I'll be honest - I'm hesitant to call the Texans cheap. It wasn't too long ago when DeAndre Hopkins was the highest paid WR in the league, and JJ Watt was the highest paid defensive player in football (regardless of position). Berdnardrick McKinney was recently paid as well - so the Texans will drop coin when needed.

It's just not easy anticipating who gets paid and who doesn't.

• Like 1