Starcraft

BayRaider

Anyone use to play this back in the day? They just released a Remastered version with updated graphics two weeks ago for $15. Now has the graphics of SC2. IMO still a way better game than SC2.

This game was pretty much my childhood along with Warcraft III. The ultimate two strategy games. Blizzard, the kings of strategy. Fun fact, a lot of SC/WC3 American players became Professional Poker players. One strategy game to another.

Anyone use to play on Battle.net regularly 10-15 years ago?

On 9/3/2017 at 8:16 AM, BayRaider said:

Anyone use to play this back in the day? They just released a Remastered version with updated graphics two weeks ago for $15. Now has the graphics of SC2. IMO still a way better game than SC2.

This game was pretty much my childhood along with Warcraft III. The ultimate two strategy games. Blizzard, the kings of strategy. Fun fact, a lot of SC/WC3 American players became Professional Poker players. One strategy game to another.

Anyone use to play on Battle.net regularly 10-15 years ago?

That was me as well.

I wouldn't say it has SC2 graphics. It's a nice update though.

I find it hard to get into the game TBH. It's a really broken game that people commend for those things making it challenging and awesome, but I just see it as walking on your hands instead of your feet just because it's harder and no other reason.

That being said, the single player campaign is still amazing and holds up so well. So much better than SC2, which completely ruined the story (WoL was ok, other two were absolute trash).

3 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I find it hard to get into the game TBH. It's a really broken game that people commend for those things making it challenging and awesome, but I just see it as walking on your hands instead of your feet just because it's harder and no other reason.

That being said, the single player campaign is still amazing and holds up so well. So much better than SC2, which completely ruined the story (WoL was ok, other two were absolute trash).

I've been trying to get my friend into it and we are just trying to play the custom maps and the game really isn't something you get into now unless you fully commit. It's similar to melee where learning all the little tips and tricks is obnoxious, but once you learn them, it's sort of what defines the game. Every unit had some little defining characteristic that wasn't just a stat number. 

As for the story, I've only replayed the original campaign, but the Terran and Zerg missions were terrible. Story is good, but the actual mission layout is pretty bad. It gets better in the Protoss campaign. I feel like the mission layout of SC2 and the story one SC1 would be a great mix. 

Day9 is going to start doing a Starcraft 1 lessons on his twitch, maybe check it out? The game was never meant to become what it became so you definitely need outside help to learn the game lol. 

11 hours ago, Mossburg said:

The game certainly isn't broken.  Its world renowned for being one of the best competitively balanced video games in history.

It's broken because all kinds of weird crap happens, like units getting stuck for no reason, they move in weird patterns, you need to do all kinds of extra things to execute basic tasks. All of these things make it balanced, yea, but like I said, it's like walking on hands instead of feet just for a challenge.

I played a bunch back in the day, I really don't see any reason to invest heavily into it today. We'll see how the game does. I predict people who were hardcores back in the day will play it, others will see no reason to play it so it will have a limited base.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread and say that the upcoming Blizzcon for SC2 is going to be amazing. For the first time maybe ever, the game is at it's most balanced state it seems, and with players getting a chance to contribute to the prize pool, the stakes are higher than ever. Funny enough, there's a major overhaul patch coming when the game seems to be in great shape. Usually these patches are welcome, not sure if it is now, but the changes are exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

^They've been nerfed so much since release, they were so dumb when LOTV came out. I don't mind Adepts by themselves, I just hate how so much of Protoss is so easy to do damage with and requires so much more from other races to defend, while Protoss can defend so easily against almost anything. This doesn't necessarily apply to pros because they can deal with it, but Diamond and below it's a pain when everyone sucks and it's much easier for one player to do these things in low APM games.

42 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

This doesn't necessarily apply to pros because they can deal with it, but Diamond and below it's a pain when everyone sucks and it's much easier for one player to do these things in low APM games.

For a while ZvP was my best matchup, somewhere in the high 60s in winning %, this was back early in LotV when adepts' shades had full vision and whatnot. Part of it was how predictable opponents were in their builds with adepts. High plat / low diamond btw.

57 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^They've been nerfed so much since release, they were so dumb when LOTV came out. I don't mind Adepts by themselves, I just hate how so much of Protoss is so easy to do damage with and requires so much more from other races to defend, while Protoss can defend so easily against almost anything. This doesn't necessarily apply to pros because they can deal with it, but Diamond and below it's a pain when everyone sucks and it's much easier for one player to do these things in low APM games.

This is what made me hate competitive SC2 at the beginning of LotV... I'm pretty sure Protoss built 300 adepts, probes, and a mothership core.

Archived