Falcons ink Grady Jarrett to new 4 year deal

FalconFan13

7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Not really he is a pretty bad dude as said we as fans were expecting closer to 19 or 20 mil.  He has made it on quite a few top 50 to 100 lists of nfl players  Think the highest he ever made it on one was like 17th or so.  He as Jaguarcrazy said doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves and usually just keeps quiet and works his butt off so you don't hear tons about him.  

I know PFF isn't the all being truth but he usually does very well on their site most the time also.  Here is a little bit on him from them

And despite his smaller frame, Jarrett has had high-end success in both run defense and rushing the passer. His 90.0 run-defense grade and 86.7 pass-rush grade rank eighth and fifth, respectively, among qualifying interior defensive linemen. He’s now earned 90.0-plus run-defense grades in back-to-back seasons.

Jarrett finished the regular season ranked fourth in pass-rush win percentage (16.6) and sixth in pressure percentage (12.3), recording 71 pass-rush wins and 53 total pressures in the process. His pass-rush ability on third down was particularly impressive, as he recorded the third-ranked win percentage (21.8) and second-ranked pass-rush grade (90.1) on third downs throughout the regular season.

He has been one of the better DT's for a few years now and gets better every single year with his sack totals going up everytime.  This year he had 6 of them which from the Falcons isn't all that bad considering what else our D-line gives us lol.  Grady really hasn't had a ton of help around him to take doubles off of him as he takes them on the majority of the time and still produces at that high of a level.

Makes a bit more sense. I don’t catch a ton of Falcons games - so he’s more of a pressure-guy than a finisher-guy thus far, I get it. Similar story with Trey Flowers, who Detroit paid this offseason, and Brandon Graham. Underwhelming sack totals but big impacts on the defense. 

Even with that said, I think it’s a little steep (and I thought so for Flowers too). That’s what the market bares and it’s not an overpay, but personally I’m hesitant to give guys who don’t finish the big dollars. I see guys like Casey, Campbell, Cox, and Atkins, and they all bring elite production to the table (won’t even mention Watt and Donald, because that’s not fair...). It’s a forward projecting contract so it very well could be a steal in the end if Jarrett keeps going on this upward trajectory, but it’d just make me pause as a fan.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Makes a bit more sense. I don’t catch a ton of Falcons games - so he’s more of a pressure-guy than a finisher-guy thus far, I get it. Similar story with Trey Flowers, who Detroit paid this offseason, and Brandon Graham. Underwhelming sack totals but big impacts on the defense. 

Even with that said, I think it’s a little steep (and I thought so for Flowers too). That’s what the market bares and it’s not an overpay, but personally I’m hesitant to give guys who don’t finish the big dollars. I see guys like Casey, Campbell, Cox, and Atkins, and they all bring elite production to the table (won’t even mention Watt and Donald, because that’s not fair...). It’s a forward projecting contract so it very well could be a steal in the end if Jarrett keeps going on this upward trajectory, but it’d just make me pause as a fan.

Its hard comparing DT's imo. Stats depend for such a large part on the system, their roles in the system and their teammates. The year Vic led the league in sacks quite a few were freebies because the QB ran into him instead of getting crushed by Grady. Takk and Vic have been pretty mediocre lately (in Vic's case that might be putting it mildly). I feel Grady is doing his job but the other guys just don't seem to be taking advantage of that.

As a fan this contract gives me zero reason to pause. Grady has been healthy, is consistent, had experience playing in a SB and didn't crack under the pressure and seems to be improving. Will he ever be Watt, Donald, Cox or Atkins? Probably not but he'll be close to some of them. Will Grady be the weakest link on our Dline in the near future? Very unlikely.

14 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Seems a bit higher than I was expecting. If Jarrett is getting this much, it makes me a bit nervous now for my Saints resigning Sheldon Rankins in the next year or 2.

Rankins should be comparable overall he has done very well although i think Grady is a little bit better of the 2 as they put up similar numbers but Grady does it with less help on the D-line and has to take on more double teams.  Cam takes a TON OF PRESSURE of the rest of that D-line and even your number 2 DT in Davison was better than any DT we had a chance to throw out there imo.  Im not gonna lie i was quite a bit jealous of the Saints D-line compared to ours as we really only had 1 guy stepping up most the time in Grady.  Beasley, Takk, and McClain were so on and off struggling it was sad.  But don't take this as me knocking Sheldon at all as i think he is a stud as i think Grady is a stud.  I just think Grady puts up better numbers overall while having to do more by himself.  You aren't interested in letting us have Sheldon to team with him are you xD or letting us borrow cam for 2 years?

19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

For a dt I k ow he could get to the qb, if he plays both the run and pass nearly equally well, this sure is, relatively speaking a barging for ththe falcons.

He is actually a better run stopper than he is pass rusher he has been in the top tier of run defense for a DT the last 3 years with scores above 90 on pff the last 2.  His pass rushing which is also solid is actually his secondary thing that he is good at but not his best.

• Like 1

Where most players are getting paid higher than the last contract at their positions (except elite Mack/Donald) I think Grady AND Jones are excellent contracts for both the players and the team. A good balance that will keep them competitive. If Julio isn't highest paid WR then all are giving a little discount to make the 'team' better and kudos for that if so. Brady did it to seal his legacy and if multiple players on one team are doing that it's collusion isn't it?   LOL  =P