Redskins Losing Fans at a Rapid Rate

On 7/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, RSkinGM said:

Hey, I explained BEFORE marriage that 3.5 hours a week were mine for my Redskin fix. She ( way way back when- when she wanted to get married said -Oh that's fine ) Well, now -- it ain't so fudging fine . 

And you thought that was gonna fly? LOL
Unless you married a crazed Redskin fan that shares your intensity.......that fly ball was always gonna be grounded by the wind :)

• Like 1

Once upon a time, I figured I would sit down on Sundays with my son and daughter and watch the game together as a family. Like I did with my folks growing up.

I wouldn't subject them to that pain. I cannot get away from it, but I'm not willing to inflict this suffering on my progeny.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Which is exactly why Snyder will force Haskins to start way too early. 

Out of curiosity, what is "too early" in your mind?

Because I'm on record that Haskins is starting in week 6. Not because I think he'll necessarily be ready, but they'll have sent Keenum/McCoy up to the sacrificial altar of that opening schedule (which I don't see going well) and then can roll easier with Haskins in that soft middle part (because jobs will likely be on the line and fans in revolt).

Only four ways I don't see that happening:

1. Keenum/McCoy pull out a spectacular opening part of the season (4-1 at the least, maybe 3-2 if one of the losses is a 350+ yard, 3+ TD effort that just falls short due to a defensive breakdown/field goal miss/fluke play) and they stick with the "hot hand." [The "2017 Alex Smith" scenario]
  2. Keenum and McCoy both get hurt early and thus Haskins gets thrown into the fire. [The "2018 Alex Smith" scenario]
  3. Keenum and McCoy look like trash in preseason and Haskins beats them out badly. [The "late 2018 Washington season" scenario with the upside of the QB in the wings not being Mark Sanchez or Josh Johnson]
  4. Haskins gets hurt in preseason. [The "yup, it's the story of our lives; cannot have nice things" scenario]

20 minutes ago, Woz said:

Out of curiosity, what is "too early" in your mind?

I'm on record that he should sit the whole season.  He needs to completely overhaul his mechanics and footwork and rep it until it becomes second nature so he can do it naturally when facing pressure.  He won't ever get to that point if they throw him in there too early and let him back-slip into bad habits.

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm on record that he should sit the whole season.  He needs to completely overall his mechanics and footwork and rep it until it becomes second nature so he can do it naturally when facing pressure.  He won't ever get to that point if they throw him in there too early and let him back-slip into bad habits.

Something Good Franchise's and Head Coaches do. The the only scenario I see him NEEDING to start is if both Keenum and McCoy go down due to injury. We see what sitting a whole year did for Mahomes yet fans here constantly want to overlook that. Haskins started 1 full season in college and while his numbers where spectacular, his tape also shows he has some improving to do! If anything allow him to start the last 4 games of the season like they did with Cousins when they bench RG3 his second year in the league for those who say playing time is the most teachable if Keenum or McCoy don't have the team in playoff contention.

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

We see what sitting a whole year did for Mahomes yet fans here constantly want to overlook that.

Except that is a rare situation in the NFL. It required Alex Smith to come out of the gate in 2017 like a rocket ... which he did. He, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and the rest managed to successfully boat race New England on national TV in the season opener. That performance gave the Chiefs the room to continue to roll with Smith, and he rewarded them with an early jump out lead to 5-0.

They fell back to Earth somewhat in the latter half of the season statistically, but by that point, there was no question of replacing Smith with Mahomes (until week 17 when Smith was sitting due to having already clinched the top spot).

I went through all of the QBs drafted in the first round and how long they waited (since Aaron Rodgers, which is the other one everyone points to (*)). It averaged out to like week 4 or 5.

Now, maybe Haskins needs to sit. I let the rest of you who are better evaluators of QB play than I determine that.

It just isn't likely to happen.

I also don't think there's many fans around here who are clamoring for Haskins to start immediately, but look at Keenum and McCoy and wonder why they are that much better than Haskins. Yes, they are vets, but they're not what you might call obvious starters.

Sure, if either guy gets hot, they can and should stay with the hot hand. That's just not likely to happen.

27 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If anything allow him to start the last 4 games of the season like they did with Cousins when they bench RG3 his second year in the league for those who say playing time is the most teachable if Keenum or McCoy don't have the team in playoff contention.

A few things:

1. Cousins only played because RG3 was hurt in his second season.
  2. Cousins was also benched for McCoy in that same season.
  3. I'm assuming you don't mean to say that Haskins should sit for a year and three quarters, but just until the final four games of this year should Washington be out of the playoff race?
  4. Assuming I am correct in #3, do you really want to Haskins' first four games to be: at Green Bay (in December), vs Philadelphia, vs NY Giants, and at Dallas?
  5. Finally, if they go 0-5 or 1-4 (entirely possible given that opening slate), they'll likely be eliminated from playoff contention from the jump. Even 2-3 (with a couple of divisional losses) is going to be tough to overcome. So, it's entirely possible (I would argue plausible) that by the time mid-October runs around, we're going to be discussing what to do with the 2020 draft and the 2020 season. I hope I'm wrong, but the track record of this team does not give me much hope.

That's why I said I suspect we'll see Haskins sooner than later. If we don't (provided it isn't due to him suffering an injury), then okay. I'm fine with that.

(*) No one ever points to Carson Palmer, which is odd since Marvin Lewis explicitly said he was going to sit Palmer for Kitna for the entire year before the 2003 season began to season him.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Except that is a rare situation in the NFL. It required Alex Smith to come out of the gate in 2017 like a rocket ... which he did. He, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and the rest managed to successfully boat race New England on national TV in the season opener. That performance gave the Chiefs the room to continue to roll with Smith, and he rewarded them with an early jump out lead to 5-0.

They fell back to Earth somewhat in the latter half of the season statistically, but by that point, there was no question of replacing Smith with Mahomes (until week 17 when Smith was sitting due to having already clinched the top spot).

I went through all of the QBs drafted in the first round and how long they waited (since Aaron Rodgers, which is the other one everyone points to (*)). It averaged out to like week 4 or 5.

Now, maybe Haskins needs to sit. I let the rest of you who are better evaluators of QB play than I determine that.

It just isn't likely to happen.

I also don't think there's many fans around here who are clamoring for Haskins to start immediately, but look at Keenum and McCoy and wonder why they are that much better than Haskins. Yes, they are vets, but they're not what you might call obvious starters.

Sure, if either guy gets hot, they can and should stay with the hot hand. That's just not likely to happen.

A few things:

1. Cousins only played because RG3 was hurt in his second season.
  2. Cousins was also benched for McCoy in that same season.
  3. I'm assuming you don't mean to say that Haskins should sit for a year and three quarters, but just until the final four games of this year should Washington be out of the playoff race?
  4. Assuming I am correct in #3, do you really want to Haskins' first four games to be: at Green Bay (in December), vs Philadelphia, vs NY Giants, and at Dallas?
  5. Finally, if they go 0-5 or 1-4 (entirely possible given that opening slate), they'll likely be eliminated from playoff contention from the jump. Even 2-3 (with a couple of divisional losses) is going to be tough to overcome. So, it's entirely possible (I would argue plausible) that by the time mid-October runs around, we're going to be discussing what to do with the 2020 draft and the 2020 season. I hope I'm wrong, but the track record of this team does not give me much hope.

That's why I said I suspect we'll see Haskins sooner than later. If we don't (provided it isn't due to him suffering an injury), then okay. I'm fine with that.

(*) No one ever points to Carson Palmer, which is odd since Marvin Lewis explicitly said he was going to sit Palmer for Kitna for the entire year before the 2003 season began to season him.

I said what I said. Haskins needs to sit the whole year unless we are out of playoff contention and you put him in the last 4 games of the season. I don't care who his opponents are. I care about him developing into the positon better. Just agree to disagree with me on this topic. No stats will change my opinion on that. The Skins might have been given a Gift by him falling to 15 and if I was in charge I'd take full advantage of that by making him wait as long as possible b4 I started him. 

Another example could be Jones and the Giants. Let's see how long Jones has to wait until he takes over for Eli. We all know Eli is on the decline and doesn't move worth **** in the pocket, but I do think the Giants keep Eli at starter as long as possible b4 putting Jones ahead of him. 

Can you answer these question though. Why are you so press for him to Start? Is it to put fans in the stands? Is it because he gives them the best shot to win? Is it to help him develop into a better QB? Why does Haskins need to start earlier than the last 4 games of the year if the Skins are out of playoff contention? 

Edited by Skins212689

On 7/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, RSkinGM said:

Hey, I explained BEFORE marriage that 3.5 hours a week were mine for my Redskin fix. She ( way way back when- when she wanted to get married said -Oh that's fine ) Well, now -- it ain't so fudging fine . 

I made the same deal. It’s 16 Sunday afternoons for Pete’s sake. They could deal with it. 

10 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I made the same deal. It’s 16 Sunday afternoons for Pete’s sake. They could deal with it. 

Actually most seasons is maybe what 12 Sunday afternoons ,,,or less ? Most teams have a coupla late games ( 4 p m ) which gives you most of the day-take the dog to the park. Then a Monday game maybe and Thursday and Sunday nights . 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Which is exactly why Snyder will force Haskins to start way too early. 

With the way the rules are set up to protect QBs this year, and make any sort of pass coverage Charmin Soft, starting rookie QBs isn't the risk it was ten years ago, let alone 20.  The issue with Haskins is, does he understand enough NFL principles and the playbook to be successful?