What Should The Cowboys Do?

TakeTheBallDeep

So we all know by now that Dak wants a new contract and will want to be paid near the top of the QB market. Now we have rumors coming out that Zeke is demanding a new deal, so my question is what should the Cowboys do moving forward? They will still need to pay players like Amari Cooper and others eventually, I need Cowboy fans to give me a better idea of who else they will want/need to resign. Colin Cowherd mentioned today on his show that the Cowboys should try to trade Zeke now rather than pay big money to a RB (Who has off field issues as well), I am sure most would disagree but its an interesting idea especially during this boring time of the year 

What will the Cowboys do?

What should the Cowboys do?

Who gets paid?

Who doesn't get paid?

I'm a Vikings fan, not a Cowboys fan, so my opinion on the team in Dallas is fairly uninformed.  One thing I would do is move on from Dak.  He is a good quarterback, but I haven't seen enough from him to believe he can ever lead them to a Super Bowl win. 

One idea on the running back situation would be to trade Zeke and maybe try to find a way to pick up Melvin Gordon for less.  He could do some damage behind that Dallas offensive line.  Would the Cowboys be able to get him for substantially less than they receive in trading Zeke to someone else?  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gordon is a really good character guy.  Between what they could get for trading Dak and Zeke, they could put themselves in position to get one of the promising young QBs in 2020's draft.

12 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Does anyone think trading Zeke would be a good idea before next season? They could probably get a good haul for him 

Not saying it would be smart as far as helping Dak, but for those who don't believe in paying big money for RBs it could make sense 

I don't think that you could get that great of a haul for him, though it depends on what your definition of "haul" would be. He's a great running back, but he's also going to require to be paid like one (and even though the RB market is slightly depressed, monetarily speaking, it's still money - Gurley's cap hits are 5 figures starting next year, as are David Johnson's). I think you just re-sign Zeke. Of course, the problem is, their cap situation may not allow for the money to be front loaded, which is really what you want to do in this situation. 

I don't think their team is good enough around Dak anyways - but paying him would be a mistake.

Cooper is a tougher ordeal - also not worth it, but giving up a first round pick for him almost makes re-signing him a necessity.

I wanted the Rams to entertain moving on from Gurley before we re-signed him, and if I were a Cowboys fan I would want to do the same with Zeke.

So my priorities would be:

OL

Future salary cap for the defense to retain everyone

Cooper

Dak

Zeke

I would re-sign Cooper and franchise Dak next year. Trade Zeke after this season (or before if he's going to hold out). 

Then they'd have one year with Dak but without Zeke - get a RB either in the draft or via trade. Following year let Dak go and draft a QB.

What they should do:

#1 Pay Zeke. They won't get much for him in a trade, especially with the 2020 RB class on the horizon, and so few teams actually needing a RB. The salary cap will likely skyrocket after the next CBA, so Zekes new deal will only seem like an over-pay for 1 or 2 seasons. And Zeke is easily their best offensive skill player.

#2 Trade Dak. He isn't good enough to win a SB, let alone get to one. Dallas needs to find a QB in the next year or two, or they will need to replace Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, and Zeke by the time they do find a good QB. 

#3 Find a new HC. 

#4 Draft a new QB.

#5 Remove Jason Witten's vocal chords just in case he considers going to back into broadcasting 

• Like 1

Blow it up Madden-style.

Get a king's ransom for Zeke, see what you get for Dak / Amari.

OL and DL / LB will be solid for a while yet

Draft a QB early and add some weapons in the draft / offseason.

Recipe for a pretty quick rebuild.

Edited by Fl0nkerton
  • Like 1