What Should The Cowboys Do?

TakeTheBallDeep

On 7/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, Uncle Buck said:

How about if the Cowboys keep all of the players and just replace "The Clapper?"  Could a great new head coach make a huge difference with the current roster in Dallas?

How about you go wash your mouth out with soap for suggesting such a thing Buck?

Clapper4Ever

Everything hinges on how much Dak, Zeke, and cooper expect to be paid..

imo, zeke is the priority.  Despite being an idiot, he is the best RB in football, who plays behind one of the best lines in football.  I’d do whatever I could to keep those pieces intact.

Dak is a middle of the road starter.  That said, he is a solid player, and it’ll be pretty hard to find better so I’d try my best to keep him, but If he’s  expecting top 10 money, I’d have no problem showing him the door.

Cooper is in the same boat as Dak;  if the price is right, I love to have him, but if he thinks he deserves top end money, let someone else pay him.

what will probably happen is the media will pressure/guilt Dallas into giving Dak an asinine contract that he’ll never live up to; in turn they’ll be unable to resign actual difference makers, and fall back to mediocrity for a decade...

4 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Everything hinges on how much Dak, Zeke, and cooper expect to be paid..

imo, zeke is the priority.  Despite being an idiot, he is the best RB in football, who plays behind one of the best lines in football.  I’d do whatever I could to keep those pieces intact.

Dak is a middle of the road starter.  That said, he is a solid player, and it’ll be pretty hard to find better so I’d try my best to keep him, but If he’s  expecting top 10 money, I’d have no problem showing him the door.

Cooper is in the same boat as Dak;  if the price is right, I love to have him, but if he thinks he deserves top end money, let someone else pay him.

what will probably happen is the media will pressure/guilt Dallas into giving Dak an asinine contract that he’ll never live up to; in turn they’ll be unable to resign actual difference makers, and fall back to mediocrity for a decade...

The Cowboys gave a first round pick to Cooper during the season last year ... They have no choice but to keep him, otherwise Jerry Jones will have wasted a first round pick for a player who will have stayed with the team only one full season.

The problem with Dallas is that Dak, Zeke and Cooper want to be at least one of 5 highest paid in their position (top 5 for Cooper, probably top 3 for Dak and the highest for Elliott) but can you be a true super bowl contender by giving big deals to his players?

I do not think Cooper and Dak are good enough to have an elite contract and I do not know if they will become one someday, especially for Dak.

In Elliott's case, he is maybe the best RB in the NFL, but are the Cowboys ready to give at least $ 15 million a year for that player? .... I'm not sure since not only because of his position but also he has had off field issues in the past and we do not know if he has matured.

Trade him for a ****ton and use what they get to draft a QB.

Dak is only as good as the team around him.  The team around him is only as good as the salary cap allows it to be.  Dak gets paid, his teammates do not, Dak has to do more and cannot. 

The same thing happened to the Seahawks and the Seahawks only rebounded once Wilson's cap number was lower comparatively.  The same thing will happen to the Seahawks again.

The Colts were pretenders for all the years under Manning except, conveniently, the year Manning's cap hit was lower than 12% of the salary cap. 

The one team that hasn't had a slump after paying their QB?  The Patriots.  Why?  Because Brady is married to a billionaire and has frequently signed for less than what he is worth. 

If you sign a QB to an extension, you instantly get worse.  If you sign an unworthy QB to an extension, you fall apart. 

This is a really tough one because Zeke is already getting paid well.

• He will make 3.8 million in new money and he got 4.1 million as prorated signing bonus for this year 3 years ago.
    • The real value of that is something like 9 million dollars.

What he should do is accept something like another 2 million base and another 2 in possible incentives for this year and a guarantee to do the same on his 5th year option. That would be a fair compromise. He just wants to get paid like LeVeon or Gurley though, so the Cowboys are screwed. In this case Zeke is just being greedy to go for the giant deal 2 years early instead of fair compensation before that payday. I guess you could argue the fairness of the 5th year option but 9+ million is not exactly chump change. He's only in year 4 though of a 25 million dollar deal as a standard 4 year rookie contract.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:01 AM, Shanedorf said:

538 Sports weighs in with their view on paying Elliot
( don't do it)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

"Need to close out a game? Any running back will do.
Closing out games is important, but it appears that draft pedigree really isn’t necessary to be effective in that role "

For most teams, that'd be true. For the Cowboys with Dak, he needs the stellar running game to be able to pass the ball effectively. It's remarkable how night and day Dak's supporting cast effect his performance. Yeah most Quarterbacks would experience a drop off in stats, but Dak just falls off the face of the earth if he doesn't have great players around him, but surrounding him with the right talent he performs well. Yet another attribute of Alex Smith IMO.