Training Camp 2019

RaidersAreOne

Training camp is coming in hot and Raider Nation couldn't be more excited. It's going to be one like no other with 3 first rounders, massive FA signings, the last season in Oakland, and of course an insider look through Hard Knocks. Let's get after it.

Important dates:

• July 23 – Rookies report
  • July 26 – Veterans report
  • July 26 – Head Coach Jon Gruden’s first press conference
  • July 27 –First practice
  • July 27 – Derek Carr’s first press conference
  • July 31 – First off day
  • August 7-8 – Joint practices with the Los Angeles Rams
  • August 10 –Preseason Week 1 vs. Los Angeles Rams
  • August 15 – Preseason Week 2 at Arizona Cardinals
  • August 19 – Break camp

Edited by RaidersAreOne

Almost time. Hope we see no major injuries. Got some good battles at a couple of positions. I cannot lie I'm excited to see Darren Waller out there and see if he takes this opportunity and runs with it. His physical traits make him such an intriguing player that could get a lot of single coverages and blossom in this system. I'm rooting for him. 

The things that I'm most looking forward to seeing: 

• Do our 2nd-year players look poised to make a jump this year? (Kolton, Hall/Hurst, Key) 

• Do our older LB's still have the legs to be average to good starters? (Marshall + Burfict)

• How does the starting secondary shake out? 

• Do our 4 top 35 picks look ready to play/start from the jump? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

• Do our 2nd-year players look poised to make a jump this year? (Kolton, Hall/Hurst, Key) 

• Do our older LB's still have the legs to be average to good starters? (Marshall + Burfict)

Agreed.. I think Lee makes big push this year and pj hall

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 8:41 AM, NYRaider said:

• I really think Conely and Hurst have pro bowl potential, hope they can take that next step
  • PJ Hall has all the traits, hope he can becoming something. X factor
  • Key on defense will be Arden Key and Ferrell. If they can help Hurst and Conely by putting pressure on QBs
  • Our Dbs are the most athletic, and fastest we had In awhile. Without a solid pass rush, they won't look as strong
  • Kolton will be key on offense, if he gets hurt again Carr will struggle. QB play is the difference, Parker is there for depth but it's still iffy without Kolton. Hoping he becomes the next Jared Valdheer
  • Our vet LBs are average starters, hopefully they stay healthy. Maybe one of the young promising steps up as a force Morrow, Lee, Cabinda, Conely, Farmer
  • Josh Jacobs will also be key. Good thing rookie 1st round RBs usually do good, but pressure is on him without Crowell. Gruden going make him a focal point, with is why he drafted him where he did. Think Charlie Garner 
  • Hopefully Tyrelle Williams steps up to help AB not get taking out the game with double teams. Without a proven TE, Williams is going be key, hopefully Hunter, Doss, Grant emerge as more threats to make this offense scary
  • Lets see who the heck steps up at TE

a lot of what ifs, should be exciting 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:
  • I really think Conely and Hurst have pro bowl potential, hope they can take that next step
  • Key on defense will be Arden Key and Ferrell. If they can help Hurst and Conely by putting pressure on QBs
  • Our Dbs are the most athletic, and fastest we had In awhile. Without a solid pass rush, they won't look as strong
  • Kolton will be key on offense, if he gets hurt again Carr will struggle. QB play is the difference, Parker is there for depth but it's still iffy without Kolton. Hoping he becomes the next Jared Valdheer
  • Our vet LBs are average starters, hopefully they stay healthy. Maybe one of the young promising steps up as a force Morrow, Lee, Cabinda, Conely, Farmer
  • Josh Jacobs will also be key. Good thing rookie 1st round RBs usually do good, but pressure is on him without Crowell. Gruden going make him a focal point, with is why he drafted him where he did. Think Charlie Garner 
  • Hopefully Tyrelle Williams steps up to help AB not get taking out the game with double teams. Without a proven TE, Williams is going be key, hopefully Hunter, Doss, Grant emerge as more threats to make this offense scary

• I don't think Conley or Hurst has pro-bowl potential but they should both be good starters this year. 

• I agree about PJ Hall. He was the most productive edge player in D2 history for a reason and people forget that last year was only his 2nd season playing inside. From a physical tools standpoint, he's a freakier athlete than Ed Oliver. 

• Key is definitely going to have to be better this year and Ferrell will need to be at least an average starter for our defense to be decent. 

• I absolutely love the youth movement we have in the backfield, you can't win with older DBs past their prime as we've seen the last few years. 

• Miller is another guy that has to be better this season. The only positive is that Trent Brown can easily slide over to LT if he struggles. 

• Not a fan of our LB group but hopefully Burfict and Marshall can at least be average this year. 

• There's some pressure on Jacobs to produce for sure but I expect that we'll have a balanced RB rotation with Jacobs/Martin/Richard and possibly Warren as a dark horse too. 

• The Chargers offense was designed to spread the ball around so Williams didn't get a ton of targets. He should be what Gruden wanted out of Martavis Bryant on an even higher level. The only season that he had 100+ targets he put up 1,100 yards and 7 TD. We have a lot of guys that should be good on short passes with Grant, Renfrow, and all of our RB's out of the backfield. Having 3 legit receiving RB's is going to give our offense a really nice dynamic. 

• Hopefully, Darren Waller can be as good as everyone's hyping him to be. It would be a huge boost for our offense if he's even average. 

Edited by NYRaider

23 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden is going to need one heck of a key ring to keep all these keys in order.

• Like 2

I wish we could add Stephone Anthony for the minimum to compete at camp... Mayock and Gruden loved him just a few years ago...maybe he needs to a change of scenery, former 1st round pick, maybe switch position and  compete at SLB

Edited by Humble_Beast

Stephone Anthony is not a good player. He had a good rookie season (stat wise) but was a major liability. Saints switched scheme and traded him for nothing to Phins after 2 seasons (read, gave up on a first round pick). He's been a backup in Miami. 

What does he offer? He's a bust. 

You have a thing for "named" players and wanting to add them.

19 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

worth a shot, especially considering our state of the unit. 1st rounders usually have great athletic ability, and Gruden likes Clemson players.... not saying he is Ray Lewis but would be an interesting TC invite

He's not worth a shot. And he's not interesting. He's an athlete who doesn't have the mental side of the game. He was demoted to second string with the Dolphins. He's no better than Lee, Marrow, etc.