TheKillerNacho

Former Bucs, Giants, Broncos DE Robert Ayers retires

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/robert-ayers-calls-it-a-career/

After being a 1st round pick by the Broncos and widely considered a bust, he was able to carve out a role for himself with the Giants and Bucs as a solid DE who could set the edge. Ayers set his career high for sacks in 2015 with the Giants. After the Bucs moved on from him following the 2017 season, he signed on with the Lions but it didn't work out.

He ends his career with 265 tackles, 35.0 sacks, and 9 forced fumbles.

Would be a stretch for the Hall of Fame. He does have a Super Bowl appearance with the Broncos, but they lost that game, and without the ring he's probably on the outside.

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Would be a stretch for the Hall of Fame. He does have a Super Bowl appearance with the Broncos, but they lost that game, and without the ring he's probably on the outside.

I don't know Ruskie. His longevity, number of teams and personal stats are big boosts to his chances imo. Might be closer then you think when the time comes.

I remember hearing this pick and laughing my butt off.  He was nowhere near being worth a FRP.  That was the first time giving my try at evaluating players, and I think I had a Day 2 grade on him at the time.  Limited upside as a pass rusher.

I think you meant "Former Vols and some NFL teams that don't matter DE Robert Ayers Retires."

I think the highlight of his career is when Notorious BIG called him out by saying “throw your hands in the Ayer if you’re a true player”

Two top 20 picks and they picked Knowshon and this guy...

He did become a pretty solid role player late with Denver and stayed in the league for another 4 years. Not too shabby. 

Thread title is disrespectful of his time spent with the Lions imo.

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Thread title is disrespectful of his time spent with the Lions imo.

What an afternoon that was 

I knew he wasn't a speed rusher but he was one of my favorite prospects ever. Certainly up to that point in my life I was higher on Ayers than most prospects I had focused on.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Two top 20 picks and they picked Knowshon and this guy...

He did become a pretty solid role player late with Denver and stayed in the league for another 4 years. Not too shabby. 

I mean he was the 18th pick in the draft. Its not like he was some highly touted top 5-8 type of guy. He had a pretty solid career despite sputtering out of the gate. Also, I will go to my grave believing that if Knowshon hadnt suffered so many knee problems he would have been a very very good RB for a long time.