Trade Zeke

KewlBeanz

Zeke's talent on the field and contributions to the team are undeniable.  That being said I don't know if trouble will find him again.  Anything can happen when you extend a player.  It can work out.  Player can get hurt.  Skills can erode.  The concern I have is the following.  If the stories are true, Zeke has basically been told by Goodell if you are in front of me again for any reason I am throwing the book at you which will be a lengthy suspension.  We can't foresee the future.  Zeke's off field conduct is something the club has to be concerned about.  Life without Zeke is something the Cowboys need to be concerned about.  I don't know what sort of provisions the Cowboys can put into his contract to protect the team should Zeke get in trouble.  In the salary cap era it's a big risk to tie up dollars in a player who has off the field baggage and a suspension staring him in the face should he misstep.  I'm glad I'm not charged with making this decision.

39 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Why draft a RB #4 overall if you're not going to give him a new contract?

Because we thought we were in prime position for a superbowl with Romo. If given a redo - I bet we draft Ramsey or trade up for Bosa. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Tony7188 said:

Why draft a RB #4 overall if you're not going to give him a new contract?

You don’t draft a guy at #4, have him meet or exceed the expectation you had for him, and then not re-sign him.

In my mind, you shouldn’t pay runningbacks for the same reasons I said you should draft one at #4 back then. So I am probably not going to look fondly on the staff no matter what happens with Zeke.

If they let him walk, they are avoiding escalation of commitment and fixing a mistake. But boy, would it speak poorly to their ability to hold a long-term strategic vision.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Because we thought we were in prime position for a superbowl with Romo. If given a redo - I bet we draft Ramsey or trade up for Bosa. 

They should've never drafted Zeke in the first place, it should've been Ramsey. I doubt we could've gotten Bosa, since he was at the top of the Chargers draft board and #1 & #2 were already shoe ins. The logic for drafting Zeke was questionable to say the least (given how they treated Murray) but I digress. The F.O. did draft Zeke #4 overall and he's been arguably the best RB in the league, they need to pony up and pay him as he's the engine that makes this offense go.

Also, if they did draft Zeke because of the reason you stated above, the F.O. should've given Romo the chance to earn his job back when he got healthy. I would've loved seeing what Romo could do with Zeke in the backfield and his connection with Dez. But we all know what the F.O. did to Romo.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You don’t draft a guy at #4, have him meet or exceed the expectation you had for him, and then not re-sign him.

In my mind, you shouldn’t pay runningbacks for the same reasons I said you should draft on back then. So I am probably not going to look fondly on the staff no matter what happens with Zeke.

If they let him walk, they are avoiding escalation of commitment and fixing a mistake. But boy, would it speak poorly to their ability to hold a long-term strategic vision.

QFT x1000.

The F.O. knew the risks of drafting a RB with a top 5 overall pick. They made their bed, now they should lay in it. 

Edited by Tony7188

12 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

as he's the engine that makes this offense go.

No he isnt. 

6 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

QFT x1000.

They made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

No they dont. The 4th pick is a sunk cost. What they do from this point forward should have nothing to do with where they drafted him. It should solely be based on if they think that he can contribute $15M+ worth of wins to the franchise. 

If he keeps developing in the pass game, maybe he is worth it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No he isnt. 

No they dont. The 4th pick is a sunk cost. What they do from this point forward should have nothing to do with where they drafted him. It should solely be based on if they think that he can contribute $15M+ worth of wins to the franchise. 

If he keeps developing in the pass game, maybe he is worth it. 

Everyone knows that Zeke is the engine that makes the offense go. I think there's a stat that says when Zeke rushes over 70 yards, the Cowboys win 80% of the games. Unlike Dak, Zeke can do it all and is a generational type back. Developing in the pass game? Zeke had 77 receptions and had 2000 scrimmage yards last year.

Drafting a player at #4, having him meet or exceed that expectation and then not paying him sets a terrible precedent. If they pay him, they will be paying a player at a position that  typically hits the "prime wall" at 30. If they let him walk, they will look foolish because they had no long term vision for the future. That's what I meant by saying they "made their bed". You drafted him high, he performed at a high level, now pony up and pay the man his value.

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

If we pay Zeke this offseason, we should be able to move on in 2022, with him somewhere in the 2100-2300 touch range for his career, going on age 27. He doesn’t have a history of knee issues like Gordon or Gurley and seems to do a good job of protecting his body at the end of most runs, so him breaking down by then shouldn’t be an issue. And another suspension would void his guarantees in addition to him losing whatever salary he was set to make in those games.

So honestly the biggest issue I would have with paying him is essentially that it would signify a continuation of our antiquated approach to the game. It’s not Zeke’s fault that running the ball on 1st and 2nd downs to set up 3rd and short is a bad approach to offense- again, he is a fantastic player, but justifying the investment by (over)using him suboptimally is one of this team’s biggest problems.

In other words- it’s not that RBs don’t matter, that this team is somehow better off without Zeke. It’s that, philosophically, if you’re building your team around giving the ball to a bellcow RB 350-400 times a year, “imposing your will” on the defense or what have you, you’re doing something wrong. But if Moore finds a way to use him more creatively, in down/distance situations that are more conducive to offensive success, then I do think he *could be* worth the $15M/yr investment.

... but I would probably rather keep Byron and Jaylon and draft an RB if it comes to that. At any rate, no one’s trading for him, or rather no one is offering enough to make it worth it simply from an optics perspective

9 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Everyone knows that Zeke is the engine that makes the offense go. I think there's a stat that says when Zeke rushes over 70 yards, the Cowboys win 80% of the games.

And we win 97% of the game that Dak has an 8.0 YA/A or better. 90% when he has 6.0 or better. Because that is still the highest correlation to winning. The rush game barely influences wins. The issue is that Cowboys fans want to incorrectly attribute the Cowboys 32-16 (almost 70%) under Dak by attributing it to Zeke. 

Unlike Dak, Zeke can do it all and is a generational type back. Developing in the pass game? Zeke had 77 receptions and had 2000 scrimmage yards last year.

Zeke was not strong in the pass game until last year. Which is why I pointed it out. Zeke specifically cost us the Lions game (IIRC) because his poor performance in the pass game. 

Drafting a player at #4, having him meet or exceed that expectation and then not paying him sets a terrible precedent. If they pay him, they will be paying a player at a position that  typically hits the "prime wall" at 30. If they let him walk, they will look foolish because they had no long term vision for the future. That's what I meant by saying they "made their bed". You drafted him high, he performed at a high level, now pony up and pay the man his value.

Who cares "what they look like"? Its a sunk cost. Nobody should ever make business decisions based the idea that "you made your bed now lay in it". 

• Like 1