Top Ten Viking Quarterbacks

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And Brett freaking Favre?  #3?

Sure they were kind of good at the time...

kinda good...? 6-0 to start the season... 12-4 at the end...

remember the playoff game against Dallas?

The Vikings had ten Pro Bowlers and four All-Pros on their roster, both league-highs for the season.

wikipedia

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

kinda good...? 6-0 to start the season... 12-4 at the end...

remember the playoff game against Dallas?

The Vikings had ten Pro Bowlers and four All-Pros on their roster, both league-highs for the season.

wikipedia

Sure on paper yeah 10 Pro bowlers is impressive but I was not referring to the team in general, I disliked bringing in a false leader in terms of he just joined the team and now he is the main leader on the team never having played with these guys before?  Favre just wanted to prove he still had it after sucked on the Jets, and to some he did that but ultimately failed in the end and especially showed his real self the year after.  That team in 2009 should have ran the ball more, be a little more ball control with the team they had and the defense they had but were not with Favrey boy at QB.  The dude came in what late August in 2009 and 2010, what kind of leader does that, did not work with the guys much, then oh I am a gamer and I can ball right away, awful way to build work ethic in a team.  They relied on him way to much which stunted development of certain prospects arguably.  

Brett Favre QB
Adrian Peterson RB
Sidney Rice WR
Bryant McKinnie OT
Steve Hutchinson OG
Jared Allen DE
Kevin Williams DT
Antoine Winfield CB
Percy Harvin KR
Heath Farwell SP

Harvin was a pro bowler just as a KR which makes sense and Farwell is just a special teams ace but not a Pro bowl level down in and down out played of course.  If that team had Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers or Rivers at QB instead of Favre they probably would have won the title.  Was great to see Rice do well, he arguably had the most success based on Favre's willingness to just carelessly toss it to him which lucky for him worked more often than not.  

So no I do not have these glowing things to say about Favre being on the team for two years, and feel it is pathetic some Viking fans switched over that quickly to loving a guy they should hate.  The rent a QB thing clearly does not work for the Vikings in terms of becoming an elite winning team.  

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

well, how many times did we give it to Peterson in the NFC Championship game, and how many times did he fumble it?

According to the box scored twice, but Favre and many others fumbled as well in that game, total of 6 and lost 3 of them.  

Adrian Peterson Fumbled 2 lost 0
Brett Favre Fumbled 1 lost 1
Bernard Berrian Fumbled 1 lost 1
Percy Harvin Fumbled 1 lost 1
Darius Reynaud Fumbled 1 lost 0

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300124018

By the way if I remember correct Favre is the one who threw the interception late 4th quarter on a drive that could have won the game with a simple field goal, but then they lost in OT.  One of two INTs he threw total and three turnovers overall by him. 

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

By the way if I remember correct Favre is the one who threw the interception late 4th quarter on a drive that could have won the game with a simple field goal, but then they lost in OT.  One of two INTs he threw total and three turnovers overall by him. 

what you are not remembering is that the first INT Favre threw was the result of the high/low hit that was not called by the refs and ruled by the NFL on the following Tuesday as a call that should have been made. if so, that would have erased the INT, advanced the ball 15 yards, and given us a first down at the NO 25. chances are we would have gotten a FG if not more points. it's also possible NO's defense would have backed off a bit, instead of being empowered by the refs.

you're also not remembering that the fumble credited to Favre on a handoff to Peterson was Peterson's fault, but since Favre was the last player with control of the ball he is the one credited with it.

you're also not remembering that one of Peterson's fumbles was inside the 20 (even closer!) right before halftime. so if we had got a TD or FG out of that series, Favre wouldn't be throwing the ball late in the game. he'd be giving it to Peterson to kill clock time....

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

According to the box scored twice, but Favre and many others fumbled as well in that game, total of 6 and lost 3 of them.  

Adrian Peterson Fumbled 2 lost 0
Brett Favre Fumbled 1 lost 1
Bernard Berrian Fumbled 1 lost 1
Percy Harvin Fumbled 1 lost 1
Darius Reynaud Fumbled 1 lost 0

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300124018

Favre’s fumble was a result of Peterson not opening his arms up on a hand off. 

The fumble may have been charged to the QB because he’s technically the last one with possession, but it was clearly the fault of the running back. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, Krauser said:

No way.

Culpepper was a franchise QB. He was an MVP candidate in 2004, thanks to what may have been the best single season by any Vikings QB ever. 

Daunte had a few bad games in 2005 before the injury, part of a terrible season for the team in general (that was the year with Love Boat, Tice selling playoff tickets and Onterrio Smith’s Whizzinator).

There’s no reason to think Culpepper would have been washed up as a QB just because he struggled in early 2005. He was only 28. 

He was a franchise QB and probably does deserve to be #2 on the list, but I'll continue to argue that even when he was in the 6th year in the league, he couldn't read a defense much better, if at all, then his rookie year.  In 2004, Linehan coddled him to be an MVP candidate.  If anyone, he's the one that deserves the credit moreso than Daunte himself.  

Edited by swede700

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what you are not remembering is that the first INT Favre threw was the result of the high/low hit that was not called by the refs and ruled by the NFL on the following Tuesday as a call that should have been made. if so, that would have erased the INT, advanced the ball 15 yards, and given us a first down at the NO 25. chances are we would have gotten a FG if not more points. it's also possible NO's defense would have backed off a bit, instead of being empowered by the refs.

you're also not remembering that the fumble credited to Favre on a handoff to Peterson was Peterson's fault, but since Favre was the last player with control of the ball he is the one credited with it.

you're also not remembering that one of Peterson's fumbles was inside the 20 (even closer!) right before halftime. so if we had got a TD or FG out of that series, Favre wouldn't be throwing the ball late in the game. he'd be giving it to Peterson to kill clock time....

Sounds like it is official than, when you are Favre getting married?  Late August like you two planned or what?  :P

Blame whoever you want, my problem originally is with the entire idea of bringing and outsider much less the villain of the team in late in his career to help salvage your own crap situation created by crap drafting and developing of QBs.  And in an effort to save the season with a team that had decent players, they did that and it failed.

Love Favre all you want, wear his name Viking jersey around which I am sure you do.  All I am saying is to me that is one of the worst things a Viking fan can do, he is a Packer and always will be a Packer.  For our fanbase to love on Favre as much as Green Bay does is just sad as an organization in general.  Not to mention I have to see his damn face on TV with those damn rip off copper fit commercials, holy crap that is all day long!  Sure you DVR them all for later watching ;)

Yeah Peterson fumbles, Favre throws INTs, both are or are going to be in the Hall of Fame.  One is a Viking and will be remembered as one, one is not.  Oh much less the ideology that Favre threw 336 career INTs, which is far and away the most in NFL history and Daunte Culpepper had a pathetically better career passer rating than Favre did.  But you love him apparent, I hate him not much going to change from that.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sounds like it is official than, when you are Favre getting married?  Late August like you two planned or what?  :P

Blame whoever you want, my problem originally is with the entire idea of bringing and outsider much less the villain of the team in late in his career to help salvage your own crap situation created by crap drafting and developing of QBs.  And in an effort to save the season with a team that had decent players, they did that and it failed.

Love Favre all you want, wear his name Viking jersey around which I am sure you do.  All I am saying is to me that is one of the worst things a Viking fan can do, he is a Packer and always will be a Packer.  For our fanbase to love on Favre as much as Green Bay does is just sad as an organization in general.  Not to mention I have to see his damn face on TV with those damn rip off copper fit commercials, holy crap that is all day long!  Sure you DVR them all for later watching ;)

Yeah Peterson fumbles, Favre throws INTs, both are or are going to be in the Hall of Fame.  One is a Viking and will be remembered as one, one is not.  Oh much less the ideology that Favre threw 336 career INTs, which is far and away the most in NFL history and Daunte Culpepper had a pathetically better career passer rating than Favre did.  But you love him apparent, I hate him not much going to change from that.

WOW.  Just wow.  In my opinion, the 2009 season was one of the most exciting for Vikings fans since 1969.  A major reason for that excitement was the quarterbacking of Brett Favre.  Now, he may not be YOUR favorite...and you may be right, that he set the franchise back (although, I will personally look at Chilly for the setback...but, you really need to appreciate what he did in that season was unprecedented for Viking QB's.