Top Ten Viking Quarterbacks

45 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

WOW.  Just wow.  In my opinion, the 2009 season was one of the most exciting for Vikings fans since 1969.  A major reason for that excitement was the quarterbacking of Brett Favre.  Now, he may not be YOUR favorite...and you may be right, that he set the franchise back (although, I will personally look at Chilly for the setback...but, you really need to appreciate what he did in that season was unprecedented for Viking QB's.

That is your opinion and it is obviously different than mine.  But I will dislike his stay in Minnesota...

giphy.gif

It is such a classic flip-flop sports fan move, love a guy for a year or two you hated for seasons on Green Bay and be happy he is on your team?   Those that liked the guy clearly liked him in Green Bay throughout and were jealous of them having him.  Talk about supporting your rival. They probably secretly loved him all along and that is why the excitement when he finally made their dreams come true coming here.

Oh crap his commercial is on again, better get back to it.  PS the product is a shame.

DG34129_090618_ComplexGrid_HF_CopperFit_

Again the Vikings QB history is awful and the fact he is up there that highly on this list for one season is just flat out sad and pathetic all the way around.  But sure if one is just talking statistics and accomplishing a lot in a season.  He is one of the most accomplished for that one year of anyone that played the QB position for the team since Fran.  Sad.  

I wouldn't personally put Favre that high, considering his brief stay...but I will always certainly respect his tenure in Green Bay, even as much as I dislike it, because of his performance and him as a person.  However, I don't have that same respect for the current person occupying the position in Green Bay, and likely never will, even if he were to join the Vikings later on (which I don't see ever happening anyway).  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sounds like it is official than, when you are Favre getting married?  Late August like you two planned or what?  :P

Blame whoever you want, my problem originally is with the entire idea of bringing and outsider much less the villain of the team in late in his career to help salvage your own crap situation created by crap drafting and developing of QBs.  And in an effort to save the season with a team that had decent players, they did that and it failed.

Love Favre all you want, wear his name Viking jersey around which I am sure you do.  All I am saying is to me that is one of the worst things a Viking fan can do, he is a Packer and always will be a Packer.  For our fanbase to love on Favre as much as Green Bay does is just sad as an organization in general.  Not to mention I have to see his damn face on TV with those damn rip off copper fit commercials, holy crap that is all day long!  Sure you DVR them all for later watching ;)

Yeah Peterson fumbles, Favre throws INTs, both are or are going to be in the Hall of Fame.  One is a Viking and will be remembered as one, one is not.  Oh much less the ideology that Favre threw 336 career INTs, which is far and away the most in NFL history and Daunte Culpepper had a pathetically better career passer rating than Favre did.  But you love him apparent, I hate him not much going to change from that.

So you didn't like the packer fans being betrayed by favre? The hate that he got for joining the Vikings made me like the move more, then he showed what a real quarterback looked like and had a hell of a season. I mean he threw an improbable TD pass to win the game in his first home game in Minnesota

56 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I had a guy at work that week, big huge 49'er fan, who was so sure that they would destroy the Vikings.  The Monday after the game, when I saw him, all I had to do was smile and he mumbled something to me.  I just said, "Never, ever, bet against the old guys!!!"

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I had a guy at work that week, big huge 49'er fan, who was so sure that they would destroy the Vikings.  The Monday after the game, when I saw him, all I had to do was smile and he mumbled something to me.  I just said, "Never, ever, bet against the old guys!!!"

I was at the game. The 49er fans behind us were saying that he's not counting the Vikings out with Brett favre and Adrian Peterson

On 7/21/2019 at 12:10 PM, Ozzy said:

And Brett freaking Favre?  #3?

giphy.gif

How can any real Viking fan like Brett Favre even when he is in Purple?  The guy is a Packer and it was dead awful when he was a Viking, worst 2 years of my life!  Sure they were kind of good at the time but I still hated it and that stupid experiment of bringing him in set the organization back what 4-5 years.  Never did turn it back around till Zimmer took over in 2014.  It was just awful and the Vikings really need to stop just bringing in QBs.  Thought we had something with Teddy but he is so damn thin in the legs and fraile.  

It is Tarkenton all the way at #1 then like a few miles later it might be someone else on the list.  

It was not a "stupid experiment." The Vikings were a team with quality but aging veterans at key positions in WIN NOW mode. Our coaches at that time epitomized mediocrity and we needed somebody to lead us. Tarvaris Jackson (there's a reason no one has mentioned his name in here yet) was not going to be that guy. So hell yes, I liked Brett Favre when he played for us. In particular I liked the miraculous wins over the Niners, Ravens, and Cardinals, the near-miracle in Chicago, and sweeping the Packers in '09. 

I don't think I'd put Favre at #3 either but I would include him in the top ten, not so much for the one great season as the fact that he made me believe in the team again, in a way that I hadn't since 1998, and he proceeded to justify that belief as the season went on. In the end it took a major scandal, a handful of bad calls, and plenty of mistakes on our part to keep us out of Super Bowl XLIV. 

What's more important for a QB, statistics or winning?

One thing I did when looking at stats is to look at the top 10 in career yardage for guys who were here more than one season (note: not counting Bradford here). Then I took off anyone with either a losing record or a negative TD:INT ratio. 

That left six QBs: Tarkenton, Johnson, Moon, Favre, Gannon, Bridgewater
The next four that qualify: Cunningham, Jackson, Frerotte, Salisbury

Cousins could very easily be Top 5 by the end of the season....

Advanced issues found

23 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Cousins could very easily be Top 5 by the end of the season....

And if he takes us to the promised land...then he's...#2 (still can't put him above Tarkenton).

• Like 1