Why I think Bears run game will be better in 2019

dll2000

Things that hurt Bears run game in 2018 IMO:

1) Howard struggled running from shot gun out of spread as shown and argued very well here. I don't need to repeat it as I agree with it:

2) We had no big TE who could block which was limiting. Shaheen might have been that guy if he wasn't hurt. Bears ran a lot 3WR set with Burton which is basically a 4WR set. Not ideal for run game.  

Reasons why I think 2019 run game will likely be better:

1) I think it was huge focus of Nagy and staff in offseason. Any self-scouting would tell them poor run efficiency was their biggest problem.

2) To that end exit Howard and enter Montgomery, Davis and Patterson. I think those 3 combined give you more quality depth and running options to fit the scheme. I think these guys combined with Cohen make for a more efficient running attack. The addition of these three is better than 2018 Howard.  

a) Davis looked great in his lone start for Arizona and every other rep he had. He caught the ball extremely well in check down routes.

b) Patterson is one of best athletes in league if you factor size, speed and elusiveness. There is no one better at running jet sweeps. Someone did a great video on it, but I can't find it. Just know he is really good at it.  

c) By all accounts Montgomery has looked great in OTAs in terms of his movement, quickness and hands. Take that for what it is worth.

3) Cohen is still a versatile stud as receiver or a runner.  

4) Shaheen may be healthy this year and may have improved his blocking. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Converted TE Sowell may also provide a large run blocking option at TE if Shaheen can't stay on field. Obviously that should be a huge down grade in pass receiving ability, but we'll see. Presence of a large TE as receiving threat makes NFL style RPOs work better.

• Like 2

I totally thought when I clicked on this thread the post was going to say “Because Jordan Howard was one of the least efficient starting RBs in the entire NFL last year and he’s gone now.” 🤷‍♂️

I digress - I’m SUPER high on Montgomery and would feel the same even if Howard was still on the roster. Davis is a guy I like a lot too specific to our offense. What it asks of its backs are the things he does well. Maybe the biggest thing that excites me about our running game being more efficient is that it will help the passing game be more efficient too. Our offense has SO MUCH potential this year and not all of that centers around Trubisky’s individual development. A better running game will make it easier for him to be better too, but it opens up things so much more for Nagy as a playcaller. We’ve seen what he can do when he has these kinds of tools (meaning versatile ones) at his disposal. Those are the things that got him the job here. 

He did a nice job of separating how differences in their running styles behind different blocking schemes also separate Howard from Davis and from what we've seen from his college highlights Montgomery is like Davis plus.  The fits are there without a doubt.

I just posted a thread on how NFL teams have been using first down passing to their RBs to enhance their offenses and stay out of 3rd and long situations and it makes sense.  If we were averaging less than 4 ypc on 1st down runs in 2018 and we can both enhance that with better RBs or by throwing more on 1st down averaging 6 yds per play that creates a whole new approach to 2nd and 3rd down play calling.

Nagy's offense needed another Kareem Hunt type and both Montgomery and Davis fit that need far better than Howard did.  IMHO Jordan Howard is still a productive back just not one whose the best fit for Nagy's overall schemes.  Soble's analysis made that fairly easy to see.

Trubisky admittedly had a lot of cringe moments whch is what his critics are hanging their hats on.

But what many fail to give him credt for is how he creativley moved sticks on so many plays, because he had to. He had to because we couldn't run the ball. 

• Like 1

I actually think the run game (minus Mitch) will continue to be a problem for the Bears offense in 2019. Management thinks it was Howard not the offensive line that was the problem. Based on what I've seen I think its a combination of the two. We never got consistent push in the run game and unless the switching of Whitehair and Daniels makes a  huge difference, I think we'll be in the same spot as last year. 

I'm interested in hearing more at training camp with this OL.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, dll2000 said:

Converted TE Sowell may also provide a large run blocking option at TE if Shaheen can't stay on field. Obviously that should be a huge down grade in pass receiving ability, but we'll see.

We might be surprised. I would think that Sowell has at least some pass catching ability, or they wouldn't have switched him over. 

45 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I actually think the run game (minus Mitch) will continue to be a problem for the Bears offense in 2019. Management thinks it was Howard not the offensive line that was the problem. Based on what I've seen I think its a combination of the two. We never got consistent push in the run game and unless the switching of Whitehair and Daniels makes a  huge difference, I think we'll be in the same spot as last year. 

Switching Whitehair and Daniels should be an improvement (provided they end up doing it). IMO, that's how they should have come out of the gate last year, but they wanted to sit Daniels at first, etc., etc. Also--I think you're forgetting that they installed a new offense, with a fair amount of new pieces within it. I would expect they'd run the ball better this coming season even without positive changes--which I feel they've made. 

• Like 1

We've reviewed the run stats before and Long's absence had more impact than any other OL position.

Once he and Daniels played together the run game improved dramatically.

I can't help but think swapping Daniels and Whitehair will yield even more improvement.  Both could be perennial Pro Bowlers at their best positions and if Long can just stay healthy all year that's one hell of a trio for an inside zone scheme.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1